Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Has anybody else went back to old methods  (Read 1416 times)

Offline goodolboy94

• Trad Bowhunter
Has anybody else went back to old methods
« on: November 01, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »
I started shooting split finger then went to three under then went back to split finger and I belive split finger is where I will stay, bow is quiter it is easier for me to pull the bow back and I feel i have more control of the string. has anybody else done something like this. I know that it seems like everybody is switching to 3 under. Even I jumped on the bandwagon, and wished now that I hadn't
every mourn brought forth a noble chance, and every chance brought forth a noble knight-wiston churchhill

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Has anybody else went back to old methods
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
Nope...been shooting split finger since my Dad gave me my first Ben Pearson fiberglass bow in the late 1960's.

Offline Grayseas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
Split finger for me.
Eli
74 lb Shrew Safari
65 lb Fedora
62 lb Black Widow
60 lb Bamboo Viper
52 lb Bear Hunter TD

Offline Gottabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
I shot slpit finger many years and went to 3 under due to the problem of an index finger that had a groove worn out of it on the inside..couldn't keep from pinching the knock no matter what.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
Dont know about the "bandwagon" but I've been shooting 3 under since about 1974......
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
The problem with folks trying 3 under is that they don't give it a fair chance. MOST split finger people trying 3 under go out in their back yard, give it a whirl with about 10 or so shots and decide it isn't for them. Then there's some who won't even give it a chance because they somehow claim 3 under isn't "traditional"!

I used to shoot split finger and then went to 3 under and have never even considered going back to split. Give 3 under a fair chance by trying it for a couple weeks or more and then decide.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
I think most who go to three under are doing so to get their point closer to the target.  It's makes the point and shoot method or the "instinctive" method easier to grasp. You also have to do more to quiet the bow down.  I've shot three under in competition for 30 years, but my hunting bow is shot Mediterranean style, (split-finger).  My 10 cents worth!  :-)

Offline jtwalsh62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
I tryed three under for a season seem to work fine but as you said just did not seem right so put that behind me and have been shooting split finger for the last four years . Now my son shoot three under .and loves it .
jt walsh
 be still and listen

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
I started out shooting three under and never even looked the other way.  The string feels better in my fingers that way, but I also haven't given split finger the time of day to get to know it better.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
I've been shooting split since I was a boy in 1955.  I used to shoot 3 under and walk the string in competition in the 60s but for hunting it's split.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »
3 under is just as traditional as split. As far as I've read, many welsh longbow archers pulled with 3 fingers under.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
Tried both ways; 3 under works for me so I stay with it.  I'm not sure what the "old ways" are given that a lot of the Apaches shot 3 under.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
Never tried 3-under, have always shot split(20 yrs), never had a reason to change.I do know what u mean about going back to the old ways though ; been thinking about getting my old D-bow and wood arrows back out here lately, seemed I had more fun back then.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
Well, I have been down the path you descibed.  I switched to 3 under last spring and shot it all summer at 3D shoots.  Went back to split about a month before my elk hunt, and killed a bull split finger.  I am to the point where I can shoot either way without any adjusting.  For now, I am sticking with split just for the fact that I am more accurate.  Both ways have their pros and cons and I have figured them all out.  I am primarily a bowhunter and split works better for me.  Each to his own I suppose.  As long as you can be accurate and consistant, stick with what works for you.
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
Split, I can maintain better control of the nock and arrow while hunting.

Best

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
Started out with a #45 Martin Hunter re curve and shooting three under. Did quite well with it. When I started shooting 3-D tournaments, there were several that wouldn't allow three under. Shooting three under or mediterranean had never affected my accuracy one way or the other. It's all in the repetition IMHO.
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 05:46:00 AM »
I shot split  for from age 6 to 51,and 3 under for 4 years.I went back to split this fall, and I believe split is the best method for me.
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
Daddy Bear nailed it for me. Control. I don't have to worry if my nock is a little loose, etc., shooting split.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Nilirova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
last year, i change my style every month. I just unable to make my decision. With 3under, its easier to anchor, when split style bend my fingers in suspension. now i shoot split, but im gonna change it back to 3under. Hope this time change is final.

Offline stratofisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 12:05:00 AM »
What are the con's to 3-under?  I can see some obvious pro's with finger pinch.  I am getting started and have been split fingered, but I am looking at this 3 under and am about to buy a widow.  Want to make sure and get it tillered for the best method.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©