Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Has anybody else went back to old methods  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Has anybody else went back to old methods
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2009, 12:37:00 AM »
Shot split 20+ years ago and just switched back to trad, still shooting split finger.  It works for me and I am more than accurate enough to my max killing distance with it.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2009, 02:33:00 AM »
I shoot 3 under with my Recurve & Horsebow and use Split with my Longbow (LB tourney rules), they both work equally well and it's just a matter of chosing which method suits you best.

Using the Recurve with Carbons the 3 under has the advantage of better sight picture but with Longbow I'm quite happy to shoot Split because I'm shooting heavier woodies and slightly slower Bow, I know I would struggle to reach 70 & 80 yards on a field course with 3 under and a Longbow (it's hard enough to reach using Split lol)

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by stratofisher:
What are the con's to 3-under?  I can see some obvious pro's with finger pinch.  I am getting started and have been split fingered, but I am looking at this 3 under and am about to buy a widow.  Want to make sure and get it tillered for the best method.
There are only two "cons" that I know of.  First, some shooters just don't like it, some because they feel they have better arrow control and some just because it feels odd.  The first point is generally remedied by using two nock points on the string.  The second is purely personal preference, but being comfortable with the way shoot is pretty important in my view.

The second is that some folks find some bows to be noisier three under than split.  I've had that experience, but never to the point that I couldn't cure it by adding or moving the string silencers.  But again, what's really important is what you're comfortable with so you can just relax and shoot without thinking about anything beyond what you're aiming at.

Once you get a consistent form, "don't think. It can only hurt the ballclub."
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
When you draw the bow, you want the forces to be as close to equally distributed through the bow limbs as possible. Using three fingers to draw, whether three under or split, you draw at the balance point to maintain the balance between the limbs. The arrow is further up the string from the balance point when drawing three under than when drawing split.

Drawing split fingered puts the arrow close to the balance point, but not exactly on it. That's why the lower limb is usually a little stiffer than the upper limb, to compensate for the slightly elevated position of the arrow. When you draw three under, the arrow is even higher, which takes the arrow further from the balance point, resulting in more noise and a need for better matching for consistent shooting. I see that as a con, and that's why I stick with split finger shooting.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
Way back when I started I shot split. THen I had a ling hiatus from trad shooting. Upon my return I tried 3 under for about a year. Never could make it work consistently and feel right to me. Back to split & likely to stay here.

Offline Gregg S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
I started out shooting split 30 yrs. ago. As mentioned above, I gave split a try shooting only about a dozen arrows. It didn't seem right so I continued shooting split. I anchored using my middle finger in the corner of my mouth. Using my index finger in the corner of my mouth feels more natural and comfortable for me but with split finger it moved my arrow lower on my face. I gave split another try but this time I gave it a week. I was able to anchor with my index finger and the arrow was in the same place as split with the middle finger but my anchor felt more comfortable. I have not gone back to split. Also. I've noticed at shoots that alot of the guys that shoot split put a bend in the arrow when at full draw. I mentioned this to a few of them and they are unaware that they are doing this. I may have been too for all I know. Three under this just doesn't happen.

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 11:37:00 PM »
As a kid i shot split, I never realized anyone did otherwise. When I began to shoot traditional again this year I had a major problem with finger pinch (31"+ draw length). I noticed i was having trouble getting a consistent release as well. Seems there is usually a thread or two on the forum relating to split vs. 3under, and I finally tried 3 under in august. First try I hated it, it felt so different, and it radically changed my impact point. A day later I decided to give it another try and I've been shooting 3 under ever since.

If I hadn't had so much trouble with pinch due to the extreme string angle, i never would have switched. Not only was it painful, I seemed to shift the pressure between my index and middle fingers and couldn't get a consistent release. This was never a problem on a 68-72" longbow, however even my longest 'curve gave me troubles.
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 60" 54@28
Brad Moore t/d recurve 62" 60@30

Offline graysquirrel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 11:40:00 PM »
It's always good to go back to the basics.
Especially after shooting long enough you develope little bad habits that aren't noticed until you review what your doing
Bob L

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
IMHO the split is the way to go for a hunter in the field, especially if he is a still or ground hunter as it allows him more control of the arrow. Three under is very good for a target shooter and some fellows do very well hunting with that style, I have known a few that could shoot the eyes out of a deer if they wanted to.
Two points in regards to comments above, first Apache's did not shoot three under in the modern sense, they shot three under with the thumb and the forefinger pinching the arrow, five finger if you will. They did this to control the arrow on the bow under adverse conditions and using the shallow knock arrows
The English Archers shooting super heavy weight longbows were shooting en-masse at set ranges for combat and had very little to due with shooting today. The photos I have seen of these archers and describing their form shows them shooting split finger.
In the end a lot has to do with how your mind see's your sight picture and what works for you.
If you shoot with four fingers with one finger up your nose and it works for you, God Bless

Offline tradsniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
I started shooting split finger but switched to three under and I seem to shoot better. I might give split finger another try because I was shooting split finger when I got my first recurve and I was way overbowed but I can handle the weight pretty comfortably now so I guess we'll see what happens.
Fred Bear Grizzly 56" AMO 45@28
Fred Bear Montana 64" AMO 55@28

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
I do both. I started with split finger and then went to 3 under. Now 3 under with my recurve out to 50 yards walking my face,then split from there on out to maintain my piont on. Thats because of hunting arrow set up. I had went back to split finger and instinctive with the LB for all shoots. Thank god I went back to an old way because I can shoot both now. I was having trouble shooting long yardages with heavy arrows with 3 under. Now spliting the finger gained me alot of face to walk and smaller gaps and it's alot fun to shoot the LB instinctive.

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2010, 07:28:00 AM »
I've been shooting both split and 3 under for the last few years,but I've just resently decided to give IFFA archery on a competitive level away due to all the rules that I struggle to live with,so that's the final end of split fingered shooting for me.
I'm not in the lest bit dissapointed I've reached this stage.
I'm also not dissapointed in any of the many shooting methods I've tried that didn't work out for me because every one of those things were a learning thing in one way or another.
There are no "old" methods,,there are no "new" methods,there's just those I've tried,those I havn't,,,and those I do.
It's all good if you can learn from it.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline davesonic444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
I started shooting split went i was ten (55 now)and tried 3under last year but just can't seem to get comfort at anchor with it.

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
I used to shoot split, but started with three under, I feel more in control.  
Can't see going back.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
split finger and 3 under all share a commonality - the finger under the arrow takes the brunt of the load, roughly 80% or more.  same with a horn ring or any modern release aid, which takes 100% of the load.

the variation of split or 3fu is flemish 2 finger - either around or under the nock.  again, the under-the-nock finger has the lion's share of the load.

another variation is gripping the bowstring split finger and as you draw, completely remove your pointer finger off the string.  a number of fita archers use this style.

all have merit.  use whatever works/feels best.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
what Rob said...
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Marcus Bratton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »
Split fingers here. I tried the three under, not my cup of tea
Worst I can do is crash!

Will work for Bows

Offline mookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
Tried three under but guess I'm just to old to change.

Offline muley40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
Started shooting 3 finger under in 73 then shot it for 5 years switched to split for 15 years, now back to 3 under,
Independent Bow Hunter

Offline swamp donkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
I shoot split mostly but if I have a sore finger or a short bow that pinches I shoot 3 under. Both work about the same for me.
Gary

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©