Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: SPLIT-VISSION AIMING???  (Read 761 times)

Offline always89s boy

• Trad Bowhunter
SPLIT-VISSION AIMING???
« on: November 03, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
I was just flipping through an old traditional bowhunter when i came across the term "Howard Hill method of split-vision aiming."

What is this and how does it improve accuracy?
Aim small, miss small

I dont miss i give warning shots

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SPLIT-VISSION AIMING???
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
Howard Hill popularized the term.  I may not explain it real well, but basically, your primary vision and concentration are on "the spot"... the usual advice of "pick a spot"... while with your peripheral vision, you're kind of gapping, basically being aware of where you arrow point is in relation to that spot.

Try this:  stand up and look at a closed door across the room.  Concentrate on the door knob, burn a hole in it with your eyes.  Now raise your hand and, without changing your concentration, point your finger at the doorknob.   Your peripheral vision will let you be aware of your finger.  Since your arm is lower than your eye, there will be some angle to your arm, similar to what your brain and eye perceive when shooting the bow.

If you train yourself to do this, you can practice at different ranges and become aware of where your arrow point is in relation to the "spot" at different distances.   It will be below your spot at shorter ranges, on the spot at your "point on" range (usually around 30 yards, but depends on your bow, draw and form), and above the spot past your point on.   Memorize your distances and practice accurate distance estimating and you can get very consistent about it.

Bob Wesley adds the trick of memorizing the height of various animals knees and hearts so that you can immediately know where you want to put your arrow head for the distance you estimate you are from the animal.

Sounds a bit complicated, but it works well.   Other systems work well, too.  The main thing is to pick the one that works for you and make it yours.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
This is the method I use.It's the way I started shooting before I knew there was a term for it LOL.

I'm not sure if it "improves" accuracy but it works for me and some others.I've heard it called split vision gap.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
Dick hit that one on the head...

P.S. Glad You had a great time with 7th age Dick.

Offline always89s boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
Ive been using it too i just did not recognize a term for it. Thank you fellas for explaining it to me
Aim small, miss small

I dont miss i give warning shots

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
I like the term John Schulz used,'conditioned instinct'.  After a while the split image aim can become very fast and automatic.  More like instinctive shooting, but with the acknowledgment that you know where your arrow was when you released.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 01:47:00 AM »
Gap and or Split-vision is the same thing just different name, it (mostly) starts off as a visual learning sequence where you do look at the arrow but once mastered the Archer is not dependent on visual imput of seeing the arrow point and it becomes more about Saptial awareness.

"Spatial awareness is the ability to be aware of oneself in space. Awareness of spatial relationships is the ability to see two or more objects in relation to each other and to oneself."

Instinct, Gap, split-vision as far as I'm concerned are all closely related and it's just how you start off the learning process and how the conscious and subconscious mind process the information.

No one method it better than the other as it really depends on the person and how it suits them, I know a few people who insist on shooting Instinct because they think it's Trad but watching them it's obvious they're stuggling.

My advice to people I teach is to explore every aiming method and either use them all or find which best suits you.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 06:02:00 AM »
I'm with Dick in Seattle. Very well said, Dick. Also, very good points from zetabow and pavan. I use the methods outlined in Byron Ferguson's book, "Become the Arrow". Improved my shooting dramatically in just a few short weeks. Very similar to Howard Hill's style of aiming. It stands to reason that H. Hill was and is Byron's idol.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
It's like throwing a baseball,as you look where you are throwing it will go.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline nwt_harvester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 12:11:00 AM »
Gotta try this split vision shooting method.  Never really thought about it much but I could see it working if you practiced .

Online Stagmitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
"I was just flipping through an old traditional bowhunter when i came across the term "Howard Hill method of split-vision aiming."

What is this and how does it improve accuracy?

Get a copy of "Hunting the Hard Way" and follow the steps EXACTLY as Hill decribes until you have "Trained" the mind to accomplish it. Once "Truly" understood it will build a foundation for some awesome shooting.  

Zetabow said:

"Instinct, Gap, split-vision as far as I'm concerned are all closely related and it's just how you start off the learning process and how the conscious and subconscious mind process the information."

Great post Zeta! Thats the way it is.
Stagmitis

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 01:50:00 AM »
Thanks Stagmitis.

I picked up something interesting on a history channel on Youtube, Kassai Lajos a famous instinctive horse Archer said static target shooters will use the left side of their brain while with moving targets and more instinctive style they use the right side of the brain.

It made me think why some Archers shoot one type of aiming method to a very high level where others seem to struggle, it could just be a case of wrong aiming choice for the way you brain functions.

I can shoot instinct to a pretty decent level but no way near as good as my Split-vision\\gap method.

So not only do we have a dominant eye but also dominant brain side, apart from trial and error how do you figure out what side of the brain you use.

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 03:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by zetabow:

So not only do we have a dominant eye but also dominant brain side, apart from trial and error how do you figure out what side of the brain you use.

Here ya go Steve

http://www.web-us.com/BRAIN/braindominance.htm
2004 IBO World Champion

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©