Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Not Getting To Full Draw  (Read 931 times)

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
Not Getting To Full Draw
« on: November 06, 2009, 12:22:00 AM »
I've got a couple of kids in the traditional archery club I lead at the high school where I teach that are not getting to full draw/anchor point when they have an arrow on the string.  They can do so like champs when they don't have an arrow nocked up, but they release 1-2" before their anchor (which in this instance they really don't have) when drawing an arrow.  Their form and alignment in really great, except they let fly too soon.  Any thoughts on how to correct this?  They're shooting wooden self bows, so I hesitate to do much holding at full draw.  Thanks, all!
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Not Getting To Full Draw
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 01:37:00 AM »
Seems like too much focus is on the aiming if they have no problems getting to anchor without an arrow knocked, get them up close and do some blank bale work with them, take their focus off aiming till they can get their form ingrained a little better.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »
Also consider theraband training.

I don't advise having them drawing without an arrow.

Any reason they can not get up close to the target to do their holding excerises without shooting an arrow.

I had a kid once who had the same problem and 30 second holds (while staying on target) completely cured it.

-------------------------------------
Certified USA Archery Basic Instructor

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
When i can't get up to the range i exersize with my bow in my bedroom, drawing, holding and letting down.  I put an arrow on and have a mirror on a shelf to my right so i can see the end of the arrow at full draw to ensure i'm coming to full drawer and not cheating.  I also have a mirror in front to check my shoulder alignment, etc..
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
Thanks, all!  

BobCo: I usually refrain from having anyone draw without an arrow, but these are pretty special kids.  They've got a lot of "bow smarts" and have seen what happens when a wooden bow blows.  I think that holding for a time will really help, especially if they can help coach each other.    

Again, thanks!

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 10:44:00 AM »
clickers the best training tool you can have

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
Howard Hill describes the way he draws in his book Hitten em like Howard. You draw as you bring up the bow and the last 4-6" inches is pulled straight back to the anchor point (which for him was the corner of the mouth)this is what I use and also teach my kids 6,8,14yo it works well for them .The upward movement of the bow and the drawing at the same time makes it easier  to come to full draw(my opinion).Try it and good luck.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
You know, putting what lpcjon2 and zetabow said together makes sense.  I think they're so focused on keeping the arrow lined up (i.e. aiming) during the draw that they short draw.  Thanks, everyone!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
If they had a double anchor ingrained it would help also.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
The last year or so I've been working with my grandkids on shooting and all of them want to shortdraw the bow initially.  My grandaughter was the latest to start last weekend. All of them started drawing a bow with a very low right elbow which caused the short draw syndrome.

What I did was to make them pretend to hold an imaginary bow and draw with a HIGHER elbow so at full draw and anchor everything is in line, bow arm, drawing forearm.  I go behind them and tell them to hold that pose and to pinch my finger with their shoulder blades and told them that's the feeling they want to have at full draw.  Then I let them shoot as I tell them to complete the draw.  It seems to work.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 08:58:00 AM »
I know when working with kids alot of them seem to be string shy. Another words they just can't seem to understand that the string is not going to sting their face. I usually try to get them to watch me or watch another child with the correct form.Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline marshall brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »
If all else fails, try a clicker. It's amazing how they can cure this problem.

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
clicker

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©