Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Form for Bigger Fellas  (Read 557 times)

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Form for Bigger Fellas
« on: November 17, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
I've been working on getting proper alignment but have an issue with the string coming in contact with my chest when my arm is in alignment with the string... it's even worse when the bow is canted... and that's with just a T-Shirt in the basement... I can't imagine how much interference there would be with heavier clothes...

Any thoughts or ideas of what you or others do?

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Form for Bigger Fellas
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
You might want to try leaning over a bit or slouching a bit, for lack of a better term, to increase your clearance.  Increase the lean but cant less (more straight up and down).
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 06:58:00 AM »
Quit benchpressing. There you have it  :D
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 08:11:00 AM »
It may help to open your feet position in your stance (to not twist the hips to bring yourself back to a closed postion, this is common). This should move your bow arm in better alignment. Sometimes canting the bow can actually be worse. Also wear a chest protector. If the string does make contact with you or your clothing, it'll help a lot.

You may also want to experiment with different length bows.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
There are two ways to solve the problem.  The first, as described by Bob, would be to open your stance to the extent needed to avoid the string hitting your clothes.

The second is less obvious, which is to close your stance even more, so that the string touches the left side of your chest (for a RH shooter) at full draw, but does not brush against your clothes when you shoot the bow.  Women are familiar with this method, for reasons I probably don't need to explain, but it works for men too.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
They do make a chest protector to hold the clothes in (or they used to at least).
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
By Masters of the Barebow 3 and watch Rod Jenkins explain exacty how to get by your problem. He's the best !

Offline maxfit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
Call or try to meet Mike Fedora. He teaches shooting. He teaches a "power stance". What a difference spending a few hours with him can do.
Here is a link to his article in bowhunter mag.
 http://www.bowhunter.com/feature_articles/BW_stickbowhunt_200804/index.html
Lu 11:21  When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©