Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Low wrist or High wrist  (Read 650 times)

Online Stealth Man

• Trad Bowhunter
Low wrist or High wrist
« on: November 18, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
I am looking for opinions regarding the pointablity of a recurves higher "pistol grip".  Do others feel it actually mimicks a pointing finger better than a lower wrist grip and subsequently, easier shooting?

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Low wrist or High wrist
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
I like the high grip because your wrist is straight like when you point. You don't point with a collapsed wrist. The high grip also lengthens you draw a bit depending upon the size of your hand. It's also harder to torque a bow with a pistol grip which can be good and bad. If the bow is properly balanced (center of gravity just under deep part of grip) the high grip is better because it would be harder to torque the bow. If the bow has the center of gravity above the hand the low grip is going to be better at keeping the bow stable but you also might torque too much. The high grip also adds some mass at the bottom of the grip helping balance the bow.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
I think it's kind of moot actually...if you're
'aiming' with your bow arm, I think the brain
compensates for either high or low wrist.
It just becomes another component of a good basic form;
one can become a good shot with either high or low wrist.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
That's true Old York. I just find it easier to be consistent or to "dial in" with a straight wrist.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
YUP!   :D  

I shoot with high wrist too because it's a
nifty way to add a wee bit of draw length & KE.
Plus my recurve's grip lends itself to the high wrist.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »
I feel grips are a personal choice,I much prefer a low wrist or straight grip.I have never really cared for a recurve type grip.

Offline toolmaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
Mike,

I have found that shooting a bow with a medium to high wrist configuration works very well, however I actually bear down against the palmswell as if I were attempting to shoot low wrist.  The reason for this is that my recurve is a fairly long 62" and if I am wearing heavy clothing for late season deer hunting, my jacket will otherwise interfere with the string due to the shallow string angle.  This is obviously a matter of practicality, and as far as "feel" or comfort, I believe one can adapt to any bow grip that works for them as long as their specific bow and shooting form preclude clothing interferance.

"Aman who is under 30, and is not a liberal hasn't heart, and a man who is over 30, and is not a conservative has no brains."   -Sir Winston Churchill

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
It is personal and somewhat dependent on body structure. Personally I like the high grip which puts bones in better alignment.

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
In addition to all the good points above I find the high grip easier to replicate from shot to shot in a high pressure situation.
"A man is best judged by what he does when nobody else is watching."

Online TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
Much prefer the low grip for both longbows and recurves as I feel it provides better control and a quieter bow, the former especially when shooting from odd positions and in cold weather.  But agree with other comments that how to hold the bow is a personal thing/feel that you will develop as you shoot.  Best to try both ways and customize your own approach.

Offline Bender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 11:57:00 PM »
Low wrist. Its repeatable. High wrist no.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 12:12:00 AM »
Are we talking about shooting style or Bow grip design?  With DESIGN it doesnt matter it's personal preference However
I think there is alot more room for error, gripping the bow Low. with a high wrist you are essentially shooting off the webbing of your hand. SHooting with your palm on the handle (riser) can put pressure in MANY different places which cause Torque. which will cause erratic arrow flights.

Offline mmilinovich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
Everyone has a THEORY about what works best OR he knows what seems to work best for him.

There's only one way to know what's best for you, Stealth Man:  Try both High and Low wrist bows, preferably the same bow with two different interchangeable grips.

Mark

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©