Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Alternating Among Different Bows  (Read 1271 times)

Offline dcolavito

• Trad Bowhunter
Alternating Among Different Bows
« on: November 21, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
I've been shooting instinctively for a year (switched from gap shooting for years) and with the same recurve bow.

Been thinking of looking for an additional bow/s and wondered how much adjustment time I'd need in going from one bow to the other.  Is there a major investment in adjustment times if I alternate between different bows from one hunt to the next, or am I better off just sticking with the same bow.  Of course the only sure way to find out would be try it, but wanted thoughts from others who alternate among different bows.

Thanks !
Dave

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alternating Among Different Bows
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
I shoot different long bows frequently and they all seem to shoot the same. I like having different bows and I enjoy shooting them. It seems to add more fun to it.

Offline Cecil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 04:31:00 AM »
I do better if I stik with one bow. I like shooting others.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
I have Horsebows, ELB, Recurves and Longbows, I shoot mostly Longbow during peak tourney times but I like to have a break every now and then and have a week shooting maybe the Horsebow.

Most of my Bows are similar draw weight and performance so adjustment isn't that difficult, most of the time I can switch bows quite quickly, I think because I shoot alot and international tourney at high level I do sometime find myself hitting a brick wall with my Longbow and making a switch to another Bow for a week helps me come back to the Longbow feeling fresh, Think it helps remind me to keep Archery FUN and not get to wrapped up in the tourney side of shooting.

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »
Hey Dave,
         Hunted most of the season with a Voodoo
Stick,the last two weeks with a 56" Bear Grizzly,
and now I am trying to get tuned in with a Hoyt
Dorado.

It is like Steve said above,you have to keep it fun.

Craig

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »
Of my 14 bows, 2 are for the grandkids and 2 are in the shop and 1 is a wall hanger so that leaves me 9 to shoot and I shoot each one at least once/month.  They all shoot the same to me with slightly differing trajectories due to poundage differences.  My brain seems to compensate pretty quickly.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
If you are an experienced archer with  good, consistent form it shouldn't make any difference. Beware the man with many bows- he can proably shoot damn near anything.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
I have many bows and switch between them regularly and shoot them equally.Probalbly because they are all longbows.But when I have shot recurves,I do tend to shoot right for a bit until I get accustomed to them.It is due to the cut of the riser.Most of my longbows are cut slightly off center to center,the recurve is cut past center.But you should have good consistent form.

Offline sinistral

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
Give in to it Dave, join the "I need that next bow club". I have six bows, and shoot them all regularly, until I am close to hunting season. Then I shoot the bow I hunt with only... well mostly I just shoot that one LOL. They all shoot a little different, but that is the fun. Jeff

Offline GANDGOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
I think as long as you anchor @ the same place ... Cant your bow the same..Release the same..AFTER 5 Warmups your computer knows what's going on .. No Matter WHAT bow you use...    :bigsmyl:
3 pc. Morrison Shawnee 60" 51#
3 pc. Shafer Silvertip 62" 48#
1 pc. Sandy Biles Super Xt 47#
3 pc. A&H ACS 62" 48#
3 pc. Das Dalaa 60" 48#

For GOD so Loved the world. He GAVE His Only Son...John 3:16.

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
I have 21 recurves I shoot all of them.then 2 weeks before hunting season I will only shoot the one I'am hunting with.

Offline gilf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
I shoot a lot of 3D competitions, normally 40 targets. I have found it takes me around 10 shots to get used to a bow after that it's as if I have been shooting it forever.

I try and shoot the same bow as my main "competition" bow and only shoot different bows for fun now and again. When I switch back to my main bow I don't need those 10 shots to get in to it.

I shoot instinctive too.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 05:51:00 AM »
It's dependent on the person.I've watched Vermonster pick up a morrison longbow and a 57 kodiak(Two completely different bows...shooting two different speeds...not even cut the same in the windows)and at 20 yards have all the arrows in a 6 inch circle.

Have good form and lots of shooting practice and anyone can do it.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 06:48:00 AM »
for hunting and hunting practice, i shoot one bow, and one arrow type.  

mixing it up with other bows and arrow types won't help my hunting one bit.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Bruce Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 07:40:00 AM »
I have several glass bows and also the disease of making bamboo backed longbows. Part of the fun of making the bows is exploring the variation. Poundage also differs and as I age the pounds are coming off (of all types bows). But for hunting I tune and shoot only one bow and hunting arrow and stay with it all season including all the practice. This winter with bow making I will be attempting to make the wood bows with similar pounds as the glass bows (about 55 lb).

Offline Pegen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 07:54:00 AM »
I've stuck to the same bow, same arrows for 1 year and never shot better!

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
There have been times I had several different style of bows, and the hardest part for me when switching was the different grip styles.  But it only took a few shoots to bet my brain dialed in.  Now I try and have bows that are somwhat similar to each other as far as the grip is concerned and that helps to switch back and forth fairly easy.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline graysquirrel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
I have tooooooo many.  But is is fun shooting all of them, especially the old ones
Bob L

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
I used to be able to shoot different bows but as I age I always seem to come back to recurves. I know I can shoot both,longbow aqnd recurve, but am going to go to the dance with what brought me.Try it yuorself and see what hsappens.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
From an accuracy point of view, you are better off IMO to stick with one bow.  At least one style of bow.  Some folks really enjoy trying differnet bows.  If you stick with one bow you "groove in" with it and you know where it will shoot.
Longbows & Short Shots

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©