Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: RIGHT HANDED DROPPING RiGHT ELBOW  (Read 650 times)

Offline sssnap

• Trad Bowhunter
RIGHT HANDED DROPPING RiGHT ELBOW
« on: November 24, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
I shoot instinctively and discovered that the fliers that I am sometimes plagued with is a result of my right elbow being to low. I learned to shoot after reading Asbell books. And have always tried to ward against having my right elbow to high.At least I guess this is why I sometimes have this problem. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem?
Ron Weaver

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: RIGHT HANDED DROPPING RiGHT ELBOW
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
sssnap, Your drawing arm should be in line with the arrow or just slightly high.  When you release, if your alignment is correct and you are using your back muscles, your string hand should move straight back.  Usually if it flips out or down it's telling you that your string hand/forearm/elbow are not lined up and you are using arm and shoulder muscles instead of back tension.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 08:31:00 AM »
In looking at your picture, your draw elbow looks pretty much perfect height wise. Personally, I am not a complete advocate (not saying it's wrong either) of the hand coming straight back as mentioned upon release. Releases as mentioned by Larry Lien in masters of the barebow III in which the elbow, shoulder, and back of draw arm rotate in a clockwise rotation to the spine is what I prefer. If done right the hand rotates around the back of the neck.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
BobCo,  I agree with what you said.  Just felt the explanation would be clearer in a short response.  I'm 100% sold on BEST but find it's easier to understand in person than by a short explanation.

By the way,  Certified NFAA Archery Instructor :>)
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by moebow:
BobCo,  I agree with what you said.  Just felt the explanation would be clearer in a short response.  I'm 100% sold on BEST but find it's easier to understand in person than by a short explanation.

By the way,  Certified NFAA Archery Instructor :>)
Honestly didn't mean to strike a nerve with ya...  :confused:

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 09:20:00 AM »
No worries,  I was just being lazy I guess.  :thumbsup:
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
OK great. It's tough to get true communications on forums.

Just to clarify though, NADA (National Alliance for the Development of Archery )is the facilitating (administrating) body for both USA Archery and NFAA Certification.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
Absolutely true about NADA.  Just finished my "Community Coach's course" at NFAA Hq in Yankton SD.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline sssnap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
Ok guys, ahh , I was curious as to whether low drawing elbow was a common problem or not. If you'll notice I said it sometimes plagues me. I know when I do it and can correct the problem.
Ron Weaver

Offline sssnap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »
I shoot swing draw, rhythm and timing have a place in speaking of this style of shooting IMHO. The shot once started is fluid non-stop motion. Sometimes ending with my elbow a little low, when I have a flier that's what's what causing it.
Ron Weaver

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
sssnap,  I don't think that a low drawing elbow is "common" unless you watch a kid the first few times they try to draw a bow.  Bobco poits out -- and I agree-- that your avatar picture is a good position.  Another important part of this is an overhead view.  Your drawing elbow, forearm, string hand, arrow and bow hand should be essentially dead straight as seen from above.

As I mentioned to Bobco, it is really hard to prescibe corrections by word.  If you can, find a coach to check your form out.

Form faults "sometimes plague" all of us.  Humans are not perfect every time.  If you recognize the problem and can correct it, you're nearly there.  It becomes a matter of figuring out a way to guard against the occasional - oops.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
Yes it is all about consistancy. Any fluctuation in form results in fluctuation on arrow flight. There are a couple things that sometimes lead to the fluctionation in elbow height. One is to keep your back alignment consistant in your stance. Sometimes more of an arc in the back leads to a higher elbow postion. Also watch your hook (finger position) on the string and any fluctuations in wrist positions when you hook the string.

Offline sssnap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
Guys I appreciate your input,this really isn't a big problem for me as I say, when I do it I recognize it and correct it immediately. The enlargement of the picture is only to see if I have the posting of a picture correct as I am new to this site.

Ron Weaver

Offline sssnap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
Guys I appreciate your input,this really isn't a big problem for me as I say, when I do it I recognize it and correct it immediately. The enlargement of the picture is only to see if I have the posting of a picture correct as I am new to this site.

Ron Weaver

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©