Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: gloves on bow hand  (Read 771 times)

Offline PEL

• Trad Bowhunter
gloves on bow hand
« on: December 03, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
When I try to wear a glove or mitten on my bow hand my shooting (already challenged) goes to heck.  I guess it will get cold here sometime this year... I had the same problem years ago with my compound bow but it seemed to just go away over time.  Any hints?  would putting some kind of bow wrap on the handle to reduce slippage help?  What have you done that works?

PS thanks for all the support - I got my first deer with the recurve last weekend - nice little four point - glove on bow hand has palm cut out lol.

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: gloves on bow hand
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
I have some thin camo gloves with the fingers cut off to accomodate my damascus glove.
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
I use gloves with the little robber spots on them. I too tried the regular winter cloth gloves and my shooting went south quick. I got some "wool" looking gloves from walmart that have the rubber dots on`m and they work great.RC

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
I am currently using a golf glove that is made for cold weather.  I like it so far, good feel and grip.

Jeff
Longbows & Short Shots

Online TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
I actually prefer shooting with gloves on and wear a Jersey, fleece or leather glove all year for practice and hunting.  For extra cold days during fall/winter I simply put an extra pair  on...easy to do when using home-made tabs made to fit over the gloves...and have no problem at all.  I use a deep hook on the string hand and a tight (as opposed to open or loose) grip with the bow hand.  Works well.

It's like anything, if you practice enough with a given setup you get used to it.

Offline toolmaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 12:12:00 AM »
PEL,

When I hunt in the cold, I wear a light jersey glove with little gripper dots on my bow hand, and keep that hand in my jacket pocket much of the time, the other hand enjoys the comfort of a well insulated "mitten glove" with the three shooting fingers cut off to admit the bow glove.  The mitten flips back and is caught on a magnet.  It's a compromise that encourages me to shoot my deer earlier in the season.

"We eat; therefore we hunt" -Sara Palin

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 05:10:00 AM »
I too started using a golf glove for my thumb release bow (no shelf). They are thin and will improve your grip, as they are made for you to hold on to a golf club. Not too expensive either. Try it out  :)
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 06:23:00 AM »
I use a wool glove with  thin leather in the palm on my bow hand and a mitten with the flip back feature on my string hand. I use a tab.
 The wool, bow hand glove works real well for me and I got them at Cabelas.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
I use some leather SWIX XC ski gloves. They are thin but warm and snug fitting. Reinforced palm and fingers.  Lined with thinsulate. Problem with cloth or wool gloves is that the riser slips in your hand. But the leather gloves do not slip in your hand. Interestingly, I use these as a shooting glove too. I just put them on, no tab or shooting glove, and they work fine. At least for me. YOu have to get a pretty snug fit, however, or you're sloppy on the string. I tried a pair of Wells Lamont unlined leather gloves but too loose and sloppy.
sam

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
I have found what simulates my hand the best works the best.  My hands tend to stick more than slip on the bow grip.  What works best for me is something with leather or similar palm with a suede type surface.  Smooth leather can also work well as long as it is not a sticky kind of grip.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 12:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by RC:
I use gloves with the little robber spots on them. I too tried the regular winter cloth gloves and my shooting went south quick. I got some "wool" looking gloves from walmart that have the rubber dots on`m and they work great.RC
I did the same thing and they work great. The insulated deerskin gloves also seem to grip the bow pretty well, but the camo ones hide your bow hand better.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 12:45:00 AM »
yep..cheap wool gloves with the rubber dots..work awesome!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »
I agree gloves with the rubber dots on them work great ,also a bow with a checkered grip helps.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
I've been shooting with a goat skin glove all the time and in the cold I used lined leather gloves. I wanted a little slippage to keep from torquing the riser. And I found my hand will stick to the riser, Especially if someone else handles it and their hands are sticky. And I still have to powder the glove some while I am shooting.I get better groups with the glove on the bow hand. I have an XXL damascus that will fit over the leather gloves. Or the largest size they make what ever that is. Or I can use a cordovan tab over the leather glove.
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
In cold weather I use a black leather insulated "shooting" glove on the bow hand. Plenty of grip not slip. On the shooting hand I use a fingerless rag wool glove over my damascus glove. Gotta keep those fingers warm. Yep they dont match but then again the deer dont say much.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline PEL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I will keep trying stuff till I find the solution that works for me. Paul

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
Thunderhorn used to make a  bow mit that allowed you to grip the bow bare handed but covered your hand. Had a neoprene opening that went around the shelf. Check with them.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline Quinn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
I found that when I shot with a glove my groups got a lot bigger. I finally tracked the problem down to torquing the bow. The increase in traction made a small problem bigger. I now use a very relaxed grip, almost an open hand, and the problem has gone away.
"If you put the federal government in charge of the  Sahara Desert , in five years there'd be a shortage of sand."   ~ Milton Friedman

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
Cotton glove with rubber dots on bow hand, cotton work glove with the first 3 fingers cut off on shooting hand.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline davesonic444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
I buy those brown cotten work gloves by the 5 pack and shoot with them year round.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©