Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: wild shootin  (Read 587 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

• Trad Bowhunter
wild shootin
« on: December 04, 2009, 07:12:00 AM »
I go through periods of several days where I will shoot pretty good by my standards and then out of the blue I will just start shooting terrible. Its very frustrating. Anybody else battling this monster? how do you fix it?   :knothead:

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wild shootin
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
Back to the blank bale and form work.  Work on getting everything to hold still during the shot.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
You don't truly love archery until you've yelled out at least once: I f@#$%^ hate archery!     :biglaugh:  

I'd agree with moebow, form work...and I'd recommend even blind bale - close distance with your eyes closed.  When my shots go wild, it's usually because I thought too much about the shot.  Blind/blank bale will ingrain it into your subconscious.
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline Lee Lobbestael

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I will try that tonight. One thing I noticed tho is that if I take a day or two off I start shooting good again. Any of you notice this?

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
Yes!  And I think this relates back to the "thinking too much about it" aspect.  A couple days off helps me to "reset" myself.
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline shakeyslim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
one of best things i ever did for myself was shoot 10 yds with exagerated followthrough/ ck form  practice form / focus focus focus/ try to stop take break when tired / shoot slowly -use 1 arrow to practice  and make it go where you want stay away from groups!
a hippie taught me to hunt
i left 1971 way back in 1971

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 12:04:00 AM »
Lee if it's an consolation even the top shooters go through days like that, of course their bad day is most peoples good day but it still happens and it's frustrating.

Good advice here, the key is FORM, ANYTIME you feel things go wrong STOP, get close and work on form till you feel in control again.

Just accept that you will have ups and downs with shooting and dont get too frustrated, it just makes it worse.

Good luck

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
Yep. Close form bale work. You gotta groove proper form and alignment into your subconscious. Once you do that, those bad days are few and far apart.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
It doesn't hurt to drop poundage when blank baling.  You can concentrate on getting everything just right and not rush because you are fighting the bow.  Bill

Offline HcSmitty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
Lol this might sound crazy, but when i do that i take this ole recurve we got and it feels REALLY crappy to me when i shoot it.  I spend about 20 to 30 mins 6 feet away with my eyes closed workin on everything.  Then i shoot about 5 to 6 3 shot groups from about 5 yards.  I work on doin everything just right.  I dont care where i hit, if its dead on or 1 foot left or right.  Just soooo i shoot all the groups farely consistent with that "other" bow.  Then i i can pic "my" bow back up n immediately i shoot excellent with "my" bow.  I kno this is pretty unorthodox but it sure works for me.

Hunter Smith.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©