Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: practice  (Read 564 times)

Offline shakeyslim

• Trad Bowhunter
practice
« on: December 10, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
too many arrows! too heavy a bow = bad combination for practice !
 i wanted to work on my 55 lb bow some but its just too dang heavy for me /  by the time i feel i've shot enough arrows for the day my fingers arms ,shoulders , neck all hurt - not a good thing.I plan on letting it sit for a while and just use my 47lb, it seems i can shoot that a lot without problems.I might just have to face the fact that a 55 lb bow was in the past! not much fun getting old but sure is better than the alternative!
 i guess i just wanted to give warning to others that you can take yourself out of the game by using too heavy and too much practice.
a hippie taught me to hunt
i left 1971 way back in 1971

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: practice
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
It's always beneficial to drop down in weight and work on form.  I do it all the time.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
Get yourself one of those stretch bands and use it to work on form\\alignment, if your neck hurts after shooting I suspect the heavy draw weight is affecting your technique and your trying to muscle the Bow, using the band you can get alignment and techneque right and maybe you will find the 55# Bow pain free and a little easier to draw.

I normally shoot 45# but I have been able to draw and shoot bows much heavier as long as my technique is good.

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
try shooting just one arrow at a time. Gives your body a short break between shots and for me at least improves my concentration.
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 03:58:00 AM »
I shoot one arrow at the time, too. Mostly due to increased concentration.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline shakeyslim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
all good ideas ty
a hippie taught me to hunt
i left 1971 way back in 1971

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
I always shoot one arrow at a time when i practice.It trains your mind and body to make each shot count and you don't get worn out as fast.In time you will be amazed at how your shooting will improve.shooting a lower poundage bow will help also.
"As long as the arrows still in the air there's hope"

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 01:50:00 AM »
No offence meant to anybody here but suggesting one arrow shots just hides the issue and will cause further injury because this Archer is experencing neck pain when drawing his Bow.

He needs to get his technique correct with either stretch band or light weight (40#) Bow before thinking about going back to his 55# bow.

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 02:07:00 AM »
I think what would really help are pictures or video.  They'd aid in identifying/pointing out common problems such as high/creeping shoulder and bad posture if they exist.
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 07:23:00 AM »
Shakey, been there and did it. I found a couple of years ago I was having the same problems and consulted a sport med Doctor. After several tests and consultations I now shoot bows in the 40# range and still get it done.

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
I hunt with 50# bows. but I practice with 40# and 45# pound bows.can shoot a bunch more arrows when I drop in poundage.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©