Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: How fast to draw on a deer?  (Read 590 times)

Offline HcSmitty

• Trad Bowhunter
How fast to draw on a deer?
« on: December 13, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
Well, i just came back from a really good practice session.  And im mean really good.  N heres the thing.  Ive been drawing really slow, just like i thought i would need to on a deer and the mentally tellin myself "their is the spot".  But tonite i though i was all but done and was walkin back inside.  Something made me knock a arrow wheel around bring my bow up, acquire my target draw and shoot. Dead center.  Sooo i fired 2 more and the carbon started whacking.  Sooo i kept it up, Bow up, theirs the spot, draw, anchor, theirs my spot RELEASE!!  I dont think i shot anything wider the a tea cup sized group in the whole 20 minutes.  But i was just pullin the bow back at whatever speed i wanted.  This is REALLY workin for me.  But im worried that if i draw that fast the deer are for sure gona bolt.  How fast does everybody draw when their drawin down on a deer?????

Hunter Smith.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How fast to draw on a deer?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
If the deer isn't looking at you don't hesitate, draw, anchor and fire.  I draw in my normal controlled tempo which helps my nerves.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
The deer and the shot determine the draw.somtimes you can draw and shoot the way you want and somtimes you need to shoot fast because you only have a few seconds to pull the shot off.just don't take a risky shot.
"As long as the arrows still in the air there's hope"

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
I agree with splitshaft's remark.

I often hunt a fence crossing that has really thick trees/cedars right there. You got to be fast. After having several deer go by that I could not get a draw on with my compound I decided to try traditional archery. Thence, Here I am enjoying the challenge that it has brought forth.

James
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 11:42:00 PM »
I often have shooting sessions like you described-- and than have trouble duplicating that kind of shooting the next day.  Ive concluded the reason I have trouble duplicating is that I am trying to "make it happen" as opposed to "letting it happen." - If this makes any sense to you--- Kind of a  Controlled Abandonment--  This kind of shooting seems to come from the center of my body - total relaxed release, focused but unconcerned w/ the outcome. Its hard to understand, to describe,put in words how it is done. -- but I love it when it happens-  totally liberating, excellerating.  Have it happen quite often on game shots-- I think I become so focused on the animal that Iam so unaware of what Iam doing, that I don't get in the way of myself-- if you get my jist.  Its something that can happen w/ golf shots,and other sport activiites-- "Being in the Zone" as they say.  Anyway, I dont know the whys or where fores-- but I do know it only occurs when you are in a state of controlled abondoment.--pretty much forget yourself -the ego attachment to outcomes--just letting it happen.  Sorry for the blab--Ive got way too much coffee in me.  If you or anyone else can tell me how to get into this state at will -- Well that would be just really swell.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »
One thing might be that you are concentrating on the target and not the release. The release should just happen and by not holding at anchor and thinking about it, your release is great. Try a few more times and see if you can duplicate it. Being able to duplicate shots is the key

Good luck
Sam

Offline John Kennedy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 01:34:00 AM »
Control is important,don't draw so fast as to lose control, concentrate on your target,reach full draw,pull through the shot,follow through.

Offline tawmio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 12:35:00 AM »
I used to to walk into my stand with a knocked arrow in case i would have to execute a shot fast... Ive come to think if i don't have time to knock an arrow i probably shouldn't shoot, always take your time.
It has been the hardest habit to get rid of.
-just add effort.

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 01:12:00 AM »
If you shoot when they're looking away it doesn't matter if you draw slow or fast. Personally I prefer to snap shoot, started shooting this way when I was 6 hunting pheasant in Pa. and have always preferred it to a slow draw.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 08:25:00 AM »
When I have my bow raised and pointed toward the deer, my aiming process has already started, I'm focused on how the deer is acting and staring at where I want the arrow to go.
 Drawing and releasing usually depends on the situation. If the deer is calm I draw slow and release. If they come bolting in, I have to stop them and make a quick shot.
 Being able to shoot well drawing slow and fast adds to your arsenal, I think it's all about what feels comfortable at the moment.   :thumbsup:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©