Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Apache Draw (3 under); It works!  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
Apache Draw (3 under); It works!
« on: December 14, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
I have shot one over, two under for over 3 decades, as it was how I saw Fred Bear do it in pictures. Recently, after reading various posts about different pros shooting 3 under (the "new" style), I decided to give it a try. I had always heard and read of this method of aiming as the "Apache draw", or "gun barreling", not a new style at all, quite old in fact. New name perhaps, but not a new method of shooting.
  Anyhow, I tried it in recent weeks, and although it felt odd and took some getting used to, after a few shots, I can see why this style is now popular! In half an hour of practice, I was blistering crab apples at 18 yards with blunts! Now the snow and Ice have hit, but as soon as I get a warm day, I can't wait to get back outside and stump shoot some more utilizing the Apache draw. In fact, I might just dedicate 2010 to mastering this style, since I do appear to be more accurate.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Apache Draw (3 under); It works!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
Good for you man! Welcome to our world of 3-under shooters. Glad you gave it a fair shake and decided to stay with it.

Lots of people try it out for a dozen or so shots and give it up because it feels funny. That's too bad though, because they don't know what they're missing.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Freebooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Hello all,
I have tried three under or "Apache Style" and it is indeed neat. But have you seen the movie "The Oddysey" with Armon Asanti or whatever his name is? In the movie he has this beautiful recurve made of what appears to be horns (in the Illiad and Oddysey by Homer it says it was made of horns of some animal,  I forget just now what).  Anyway, at the end of the movie when it is time for a reckoning against the people who had taken over his home and terrorized his wife and son, he shot them all with that bow, and I noticed he was shooting "Apache" Style! That surprised me. I figure you have to be an experienced archer to even know what that is, much less shoot it.

After I asked around and investigated Armond is indeed an avid archer and has bows, and in fact kept the bow he used in the movie. Or so I was told. But I reckon that is his preferred style is the three under or Apache Style.

Just figured y'all'd find that interesting. But you ought to watch that movie if for no other reason but just to watch that awesome scene where he shoots all those bad guys with that bow at the end. And uses Apache Style to boot!
Later,
Freebooter
Of Heroes' music none is sweeter than bowstring's twang and hiss of arrow!-
From poem by DE

Offline Scott in AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »
I tried 3 under about 8 years ago.
After 3 arrows I was sold on the Idea,
don't plan on going back anytime soon.

I think that the 30" draw had a little to do with it, no more finger pinch.

Scott

Offline rick wittstock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
it has always been my impression that the bow had to be tillered for three fingers under.
wanabegood

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Rick - generally not.  In most cases if any adjustment is needed, it can be accomplished by moving the nock points on the string - btw 3 under is easier (at least for me) if you use two nock points.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Freebooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 03:52:00 AM »
I might try it again here fore long.
FB
From poem by DE

Offline graysquirrel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
Interesting that in messing with a bow that can have the tillered adjusted (DAS) the best setting for 3 under is dead even.  No tiller at all.  Nock setting is 3/4 above.

Go figure huh???
Bob L

Offline Doc Pain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
Dragon Rider

Did you have to move your nock point up or down and how much?
If it isn't life or death, it's no big deal.

Offline WhiskeyTango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
Is there any benefit to shooting 3 under with higher poundage bows?  I have shot 3 under in the past but found it to be much louder at release than one up two down.  I will have to give it a go again.
62" Dwyer Dauntless 90# @28"
62" Martin Hunter 65# @28"
60" Self Bow 50# @29"

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
I love 3 under but the noise is an issue. When I really focus on putting 80% of the pressure on my top finger, the bow gets ptetty quiet. 3/4 nock helps too.

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
same questions as Doc Pain & Whiskey Tango
divecon

Offline Freebooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 12:56:00 AM »
I tried it for a while years ago and I found that the pressure of my three fingers under the arrow make it slowly force my little brass knock point up and out of posistion. I finally had to put two next to each other to keep it from being forced to slide up the string over time. I went back to split.
FB
From poem by DE

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
And here I thought I was the only one left who used the term "Apache Draw".  

I've shot 3 Under so long that Split Finger doesn't feel right.  I doubt I could shoot split anymore. I don't aim down the shaft though.  my focus is on the target and the spot on it I want to hit.

As far as I'm concerned, 3 Under is a "stronger" draw that allows a cleaner release, and no finger pinch speaks for itself.

Rather than using brass pinch on nock points I use .026" Fast Flite serving to tie in my nock points, they are +3/8 to +1/2 inch on all my recurves.

Shooting bows tillered for Split with a 3 Under release puts more stress on the lower limb so they are more noisy when shot that way.  I had one bow built tillered for 3 Under, it was it was more quiet than my other recurves, but not more accurate...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
I have just tried 3 Finger Under and love it. Tighter pattern within about 1/2 hours practice.

But, I am having trouble figuring out my anchor point and sight window. What are the recommendations?
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline WhiskeyTango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
Cant help you with sight window and i far from an expert but i use to anchor my top finger (pointer) touching the back of my cheek bone about an inch below the back of my eye when i shot 3 under.  This was where i had to anchor to get good back tension.  Groups were good but my release must have been far from perfect because the noise was about double that of the split release.
62" Dwyer Dauntless 90# @28"
62" Martin Hunter 65# @28"
60" Self Bow 50# @29"

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 12:18:00 AM »
Matt,

Thumbnail side of your thumb on your earlobe, and touch your nose to your cockfeather. That makes a consistant draw length, as well as a consistant anchor point.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline bauke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 05:03:00 AM »
All that noice is because the bow is not tillered for 3 under. There is much more stress on the bottom limb of the bow and due to that it is not a ballanced shot. You will get much more consistant shots with a bow in balance (correctly tillered).

It might help to move the nock slightly higher.  You will have to sacrifice arrow flight for accurate shooting.  The same thing happens with string walking whree the objective is to hit the target and not so much about the arrow flight as such.

Imo there is a differance between hunting and target shooting. Target shooting it more to get the point of the arrow to hit the bulls eye, irrespective of arrow flight. Hunting needs more penetration and this needs a pure and balanced arrow flight.

Offline MattR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
Interesting thread, being really picky, the bow ought to be tillered for your drawing style. The reason a bow can be a little noisy when 3-fingers under is used is because the bow was likely made with a symetrically balanced tiller assuming a split-finger draw and thereby anchored dead centre of the string with an even weight distributed throughout the length of the bow. 3-under actually lessens the flexion of the upper bow limb because you are holding below the central nock, so when it is released it returns a fraction of a second quicker than the lower limb, that time differential produces a double 'slap' from the returning bowstring and thereby more noise and a little more handshock. That said, this really is being picky, in general terms there will be little overall effect on most top-flight bows. For an extreme example of an asymetric tiller, look at a Japanese Kyudo 'yumi' bow
A&H ACS CX Ebony JK, AMO 64 44#
English longbow (scourge of the French!).

Even monkeys fall from tree's.

Offline pokeanhope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
What should my knock point be for shooting 3 under? I have always shot my recurve 3 under, and I have my knock point set up with the tip of the arrow pointing up slitley is this right at all?
I am a hunter, a conquer, and a barbarian, I am MAN

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©