Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Apache Draw (3 under); It works!  (Read 1821 times)

Offline MattR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Apache Draw (3 under); It works!
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
Finding the right nocking point is a matter of trial and error. Bear in mind that if your arrow tip is higher than your nock, the arrows will fly higher than line of sight & vice-a-versa. Generally the nock will be a fraction higher than the point. A good starting point is to look at the arrow on the rest. The nock should be slightly high so the arrow angles down. The angle will look greater on short brace height bows because the string is so close to the rest. Then use your square to record where your nocking point is located on the string. That will be your starting point. Adjust by very small amounts if required, making notes of the measurement as you go is the easiest way to ensure you don't get muddled.
Try bare-shaft testing (no fletches) to identify at what angle your arrows hit the target,this will tell you whether your nocking point needs to be raised or lowered until they hit horizontally. Bareshaft is best shot at close range, approx 10yds or so. Eventually you will tune the bow to it's optimum by deciding how far you pack out the shelf (if you have a centre or past centre cut bow)as well as identifying what the best bracing height is, and finally ensuring that you match your arrows to the bow, spine, weight etc...
A&H ACS CX Ebony JK, AMO 64 44#
English longbow (scourge of the French!).

Even monkeys fall from tree's.

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
I switched after not being able to get a consistent anchor and developed a ear devastating case of Target Panic. I installed a clicker and focused on my form. Changing to three under has eliminated finger pinch for me as well. I do not intentionally look down the arrow, I acquire my target, focus and draw back until I hear the click. Nock height is pretty easy to figure out, the above posts have hit the nail on the head. Stick with it, you will be very pleased with the results.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
I switched nearly 15 years ago and now it is hard to get a clean release over and under.

Offline David Schroeder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
Does nock point change  or stay the same ? ..Im shooting way low..

Offline MattR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
The nocking point should remain in the same place, once you have set the bow up correctly. That said, if you change limb weight, arrow weight or draw length, the nocking point may need to be adjusted again. Use a bow square to record your current nock height, then make minor adjustments until your arrows fly and hit horizontally. Low shooting can be caused by lots of different things, arrow weight/spine, bad form, drawing short, big sight picture. Try and get somebody to video your draw and release, diagnostics are easier when you can slow down the action and watch. It's quite scary to find out how many bad habits you didn't know you had!
A&H ACS CX Ebony JK, AMO 64 44#
English longbow (scourge of the French!).

Even monkeys fall from tree's.

Offline Hedge Apple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
David, expect to impact low, my first 6 shots were in the dirt at 15 yards. Stick with it and they will come up. Been shooting split 30 plus years and tried 3 under last summer to see what all the scuttle butte was about. I haven't looked back. Just for giggles I shot, a few arrows split finger, once season was over, and shot way high. enuff of that.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
I switched last April after 40+ yrs of split. I use a piece of duct tape to find my nocking point...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline Lazy Ike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
I have shot both ways for the last year or so and here are my impressions. 3 under is noisier on my bows(all tillered for split).3 under is very good for shooting under 40 yds. Split finger , for me , is better for consistent windage.If I draw the bow back with 3 under as far as I do with split finger it will move the rear of the arrow too far to the right ( right handed shooter)so I have to draw shorter.This is due to the round shape of my face and may not pertain to others.If I shoot 3 under with a tab...the string sometimes hits my nose.( OUCH!!!).All that being said I am trying to commit to all split finger.Our club still has some field shots that are about 60 to 70 yds and there is nothing more fun than watching an arrow arc into the target at that range!! I just can't do that consitently with 3 under but I've gotten pretty good at it with split finger. Oh one more thing about the difference between the two. 3 under usually changes the dynamic spine of your arrows.For me, it make my arrows weaker. I don't think I would notice this with fletched arrows but it's obvious with bare shafts.
Sorry to ramble but I just wanted to share my $.02

Ike

Offline Nate N

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »
i also have just recently switched to 3 under.  I was having a heck of a time trying to get my arrows tuned so i just tried it for sh#$% and giggles and had all of my arrows touching from 15 yards on my first three shots.  I guess the bow might be tillered for 3 under.  I noticed no difference in the noise of the bow.  I am now hooked on apache draw!!
Robertson Purist 62" 75#@28
OMP Adirondack Hunter Deluxe 68" 50 @ 28

Offline Matt_Potter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
Guys try dropping the third finger and shoot 2 fingers under.  I've been doing it for years and love the release it gives me.  less stuff on the string is less stuff to screw up with.  That third finger is just along for the ride any way.

matt

Offline Nate N

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
I will give that a try tonight Matt and let you know how it works for me

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2010, 05:35:00 AM »
Gone Apache and doubt I will go back to split.
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline Nate N

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2010, 06:40:00 AM »
Tried 2 under last night and just did not have the right feel for the wieght that i pull.

Offline Matt_Potter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
Nate,

Shoot what is right for you.  I shoot it up to 65 lbs and have a very slow deliberate release.

I also have a very large pair of hands ;-)

Matt

Offline slorun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
I am a believer in "apache style"...as a life long "split finger" it took some convencing. This past weekend I decided to give apache an honest try and the results were pretty remarkable. I constructed a leather tab that is specific and I keep getting better results the more I practice.

Don't be afraid to experiment...
Kevin Ziegler

Offline chase n nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2010, 01:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by Matt_Potter:
Guys try dropping the third finger and shoot 2 fingers under.  I've been doing it for years and love the release it gives me.  less stuff on the string is less stuff to screw up with.  That third finger is just along for the ride any way.

matt
Hey Matt, thanks for the prompt as I was reading and wondering about this myself. I am saving for a lighter poundage bow to start trying this very thing.

I am currently and have always beed a split finger shooter but am intrigued by the 5-40 yard accuracy of the non split fingered faternity. I think it WOULD be cleaner and less torque on the bottom limb. One excellant shooter I am familiar with in Oz was 3 fingers under but over time evolved into 2...as you say, the ring finger just became redundant. As long as the poundage is comfortable, but that is essential regardless of the release style.

I also want to give string walking a try... in the past the feel has put me off but more so the noise. To a silent split finger shooter, 3 under sounds like the bow de-laminating but proper tuning will help. I am looking at a Trad Tech or
Dalaa bow to give me that adjustability.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.
Aesop

Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Offline bowdeer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
When I started shooting I shot split finger and shot pretty good.  I switched to 3 under 5 years ago and have shot much better.  I tried several anchors but the one that's most comfortable to me is my index finger in the corner of my mouth.  3 under for me just feels more comfortable and my release is better.

Offline JF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
2 fingers under dosen't work for me but3 does.John

Offline Brooksbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
Raging Water i shoot apache and always have even with compound i anchor with my middle finger on my i tooth as far as the sight window it is fussy to me i just look at were i want my arrow to hit
"A man ought to do what he thinks is right" - John Wayne

Offline jerryb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
Tried three under about three months ago.Now it tightend up my groups to about the size of a sofball.  :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Tredway 51@28 60"                 Tredway 48@28 60"                 21st Century 47@28 62"            Bear Grizzly 43@28 56" bear grizzley 48@28 58"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©