Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shooting Tip!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1213 times)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Shooting Tip!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: December 15, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
Everyone should go to Safari Tuff's website (Rod is a sponsor on here) and look at the "Shooting tip" part of the site. This is a very valuable tip that has helped me over the pass several months. Thanks Rod! Merry Christmas!  :thumbsup:
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting Tip!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
You're right, Dave, that is a great tip.  Even though Rod drilled it into us in the class, I still find myself not doing it at times, and my shooting inevitably improves whenever I start doing it again.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
Hi David, I have to think before I shot. S-l-o-w down, pull, pull, pull....bam!   :biglaugh:

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
I sure wanted to be over at the class this Summer but couldn't make it - taking care of my wife.  One of these times hopefully.  McDave, it was good to meet you at Western States and hopefully not the last.

I have read what you guys and Rod have posted as well as what Terry and others have posted and have tried to incorporate that into my shooting.  I have improved but know that Rod could help greatly.  Nothing beats personal coaching!  

I have had some folks tell me about a 'dead' (if that is what it is called)  release but can't seem to master that and it is about what works for each of us, anyway.  I find my accuracy is better with just a moment of pause before the shot and then pull through.  

Still learning,

Ray
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline JOEBO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
Yes....that IS a great tip....and its mentioned on here a lot....here's my saying on the subject...

'An anchor point should never be a resting place....but instead, an evolution to execution.'
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline John Kennedy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »
I checked it out, its a good tip..

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »
Terry, that's a good way to explain it. I believe Rod calls it a continuation to conclusion.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »
great advice!
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Online Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
thumbs up to that tip
Steve.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 02:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ray_G:

I have improved but know that Rod could help greatly.  Nothing beats personal coaching!  

Ray
Ray you right about that and I hear Rod is an excellent coach.

I was lucky enough to have a top Korean Olympic Coach came and vist (Coach Kim Hyung Tak) who has trained the Korean Ladies team to several gold medal wins over the years. Even though I'm a Longbow tourney shooter I learnt heaps from this guy. I pleased to discover that his passion was shooting Korean Horn Bows so felt like I had somebody who understood my form requirements as a Longbow Archer, he did.

His understanding of body movement was mind blowing and his teaching methods were very hands on and easy to understand. I've attached a short Youtube clip of him teaching extension\\release as you can see it's very easy to learn corect feeling with him.

I've managed quite well over the years but having a good qualified coach watch you shoot can save a lot of trial and error and time.

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 04:17:00 AM »
Great tip. I always try to pull the bow apart  :goldtooth:
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
"You can't pull too much"...seems I heard that a few times!

Offline Lazy Ike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
Really good tip... I've been battling  t p for some time. It seems as though the brain really needs something to focus on like a task. I've done a lot of shooting with a clicker and It makes it a lot simpler..... Aim(however you aim) and keep pulling till it clicks. When I've been practicing without a clicker I aim and focus on continuing the pull till the arrow leaves. The one thing I add to that( for now) is if I start to lose control I curl my fingers around the string a bit more to stop an early release. Eventually I hope not to have to use this , but for now it works. I have come a long way and this tip is one more step toward total control!!!

Ike

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
Ike, good point...deep fingers on the string.

Offline Lazy Ike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
It's sort of my insurance policy for right now. It keeps me from colapsing and gives me time to refocus on pulling through. Hopefully i'll get to the point that I don't need to do this anymore, but for now, it's my little crutch.

Ike

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with a crutch!
SL

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
Just read the tip, and that IS probably the best tip relating to a properly executed shot, IMHO.  I have lost sight of that the last few months, and have since been trying to accomplish it each and every shot.  Like Rod says, it aint always the easiest to do, but it WORKS!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
If / when I don't keep pulling, my shots are going to impact low and slightly left. Stands to reason since the tuning was done while continuing to pull.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Quinn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 12:38:00 AM »
Somebody tell me how I keep this "expansion" thing from just turning into an overdraw! I've got the video, I think Rod rocks, I've watched it over and over but I just can't make it work for me.
I'll add here that I shoot pretty good already...
"If you put the federal government in charge of the  Sahara Desert , in five years there'd be a shortage of sand."   ~ Milton Friedman

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©