Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shooting glove and finger problem  (Read 604 times)

Offline Greg A

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting glove and finger problem
« on: December 16, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
I've been shooting the same shooting glove for at least 5 years (I think its a "Wolverine" glove).  I've been shooting a lot more than usual this year and my ring finger really starts to hurt after a shooting session, especially the bottom of the finger.  Sometimes in less than 20 arrows.  The tip of my finger swells and sometimes even bruises and turns purple.  I shoot split finger and as far as I can tell my ring finger has the deepest "hook" of any finger, although overall I believe I shoot with a very shallow hook.  I only catch about half of the tip of each finger.  Is this normal?  Could it be a glove problem.  Can anyone recommend a good glove?  The gloves in common sporting goods stores are terrible.  Is this a form problem?  

Any input appreciated.  Thanks much.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting glove and finger problem
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Greg,
Check out the gloves from Black Widow and 3 Rivers.

Sounds like you have a stiff (ie. not relaxed) string hand.  With way too much of the string weight on the ring finger.  I'd recommend 30% on the index finger, 50% on the middle finger and 20% on the ring finger.  also, the index and middle fingers shoud have a deeper hook than the ring finger.

What you describe sounds like a form problem with your drawing arm and elbow to high, but hard to say without seeing.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
Try a tab for a while as you sort this out. Your glove might be just fine once you get it done
I like a damascus glove. Not pricey but really feels natural to me

sam

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
I also shoot with a damascus glove.I shoot 3 under and most of the time I shoot 52" mags.my middle finger is what hurts. I use the white cloth tape they use for gauze to wrap my finger with and it helps alot.

Offline Greg A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I'll have to try a new glove from one of those places.  I have lots of tabs that I don't usually use, but they do make the finger pain go away.  I just love shooting with a glove.  I'll try and pay attention to my shooting elbow as well, but I'm pretty sure that I don't keep it high.  

Thanks again.

Offline John Kennedy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 01:26:00 AM »
Do you cant your bow when you shoot? If you do,sometimes your draw hand will not be aligned with the bow string properly,causing your ringfinger to contact the string more than the other 2. Next time you shoot,try to be conscious of the angle of the cant,and try to come as close as you can with your draw hand. Hope that helps

Offline manfromthepast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
2 layer cordovan glove from Bateman offers great finger protection.  May take a little break in time, but lasts forever.  It will feel very different though if you are used to shooting a soft glove.

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
tried a glove for the first year and had frequent pain, switched to a cordovan tab and don't have that problem anymore.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
Greg,

My hunch is you have a form problem unless you glove is worn to totally out.  I just brought a thread up about "shooting with a tab", read through it and place it in the hair covered computer and see if any of it makes any sense.  I would be willing to bet that you are twisting the string at full draw.  Ironically enough I have hunted all season with a Schulz insert glove.  Make sure you get enough top finger in avoid twisting your hand away from the face when coming to anchor.  Hope this helps.  

PS:  Shooting in pain sucks!  You may need a thicker glove for a while until that ringy heals some.  ouch!
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline zinndl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »
I had the same problem. You are shooting with a "heavy third finger" ie more string pressure on the ring finger. You can make a concious effort to distribute the pressure more evenly, it takes time and may effect your accuracy. Could also be torquing against the string at anchor / release. Also you can ad extra protection inside of the third finger stall.
It hurts like heck, I know but I did as above and now no problems, I have also developed a nice tough callous which helps :-)
Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament showeth his handiwork

Offline Cable Guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
I too recently have been taking a break from the glove and using a tab.
Ive been wearing out a groove on my Berlin ring finger glove so deep that it really hooks the string, and that has been toying with my accuracy...and a bit of pain.
I switched over to a Batemen cordovan tab.
After a few arrows all I could say was NICE.......really smooth releases too after trimming it down.

The anchor point was the flesh of my middle finger to the edge of my lip which I could never replicate with a glove because there is no consistant 'feel' if that makes any sense.
I might have been squeezing my nocks, and would never have been sure.
What my shooting needed was a bit more consistency in certain areas, and thats what I found works for me, plus my ring finger feels great.

Anyway, Im a newb, still searching, and so figured this observation may be worth a shot (no pun) investigating along with other ideas.

Chip
...Exhale

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
I am used to shoot hundreds of arrows a day and my ring finger is more than the double on size than the one on my bow hand,it is paiful too.When this happens I shoot with a tab for few days,then i come back to my renforced glove.My glove of choice is a American Leather buffalo glove from 3 Rivers
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Greg A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
Thanks for all the responses and help.  I may have a combination of a few things.  I think I may torque the string a little bit, but I definitely don't put enough string weight on my middle finger.  I think that my glove is worn to the point that the seam is twisted and the string may be pushing on that seam.  I'll do some experimenting.  

Good post/thesis on shooting with a tab Dragonheart.  Some good advice.

Offline Cable Guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
To further add...after a week or so shooting a tab, I reverted back to the glove, and saw a noticable difference.
It gave me a break from the ring finger pain, and I was able to recover and shoot with a shallower grip this evening resulting in a smoother release with a glove.
I also believe that converting to the "one arrow" philosophy contributed to more focus, less pain, and gives me time to review the shot that I just made in my head..... I think...lol

It is what works.
...Exhale

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
I have had this problem also. I never thought to fix it until reading your post lol. I will have to go out and try applying lighter pressure today. Thanks for your post!
Levi Bedortha

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
Sounds like you are on your way.  I have to watch the string torque thing also.  I shoot with a deep hook on the first two fingers and then just in the crease of the ring finger.  I find the deep hook helps a lot.  I also now pick up with the pressure on the middle finger first.  When I do that I get better distribution of string pressure and lighter on the other fingers.  I also have found bow length makes a big difference.  I wonder how long a bow you shoot and your draw length.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©