Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shooting Help  (Read 483 times)

Offline Nate N

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting Help
« on: December 17, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
Hey guys i need a little help.  I am a relatively new shooter and have been at it for a few months.  I seem to find that i shoot much better when i hold for just a second before letting the arrow fly, however it just doesn't feel right compared to when i pull, hit my anchor and shoot.  Is it just a learning thing or am i messed up somehow.  Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Nate
Robertson Purist 62" 75#@28
OMP Adirondack Hunter Deluxe 68" 50 @ 28

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting Help
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »
Holding for a couple of seconds is good, not many can snap shoot well because it's difficult to reach exact same anchor each time, not saying it cant be done but i've seen so few people snap shoot well, also if you hold too long (4+ seconds) then you can have the other problem with collapse mainly because the Archer stops pulling through the shot.

So between 1 and 3 second hold gives you a little extra control and enough time to zone in on the target, the longer distance to shot the harder it is to zone in, so you will find snap shooting at short range (-20y) works quite well but when you move to longer shots most people run into control\\confidence issues and Target panic may show it's ugly head.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
That sounds fine,drawing to anchor and holding for 1-3 seconds lets you better focus on the spot.I see nothing wrong with holding at anchor.There are no real set rules to shooting,drawing and holding works best for you.I think it devolopes a good consistent shooting form.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
Many advise hitting anchor and continue pulling that second or two.  But either way holding is better than developing a snap shooting habit.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Nate N

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  I appreciate all the help
Robertson Purist 62" 75#@28
OMP Adirondack Hunter Deluxe 68" 50 @ 28

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
Bow weight can influence how long you are at anchor position.  Even those fellas that hold a long, long time, that are good shots their relaese is dynamic.  There is a transition into the back muscles, for some this pause may be 2 seconds, others just a moment.  IMHO the lower the bow weight the longer the transition to the back muscles.  If you are shooting 70 pounds vs. 30 there is a timing to the transtion and refusual to hold the string.  70 simply takes it faster.  You have to shoot poundage that you have a sense of control, but you are also not shooting tons of arrows like in target archery.  

I remember when I was a kid people talked about bows being heavy when shooting at game animals, not being able to pull back due to the intensity of the situation.  I have had the opposite.  My perception is the bow is lighter when adrenaline hits me!  I have had difficulty refusing to hold whne drawn down on a game animal.

Many bowhunters shot heavier weight, not just for the penetration and added benefit of shooting heavier arrows, but in the adrenaline-soaked enviroment of a killing bow shot at a game animal, they need the shot to happen without thought of technique or outside distraction.  

Allowing the shot to happen, instead of making it happen.  You have to learn the mechanics, then it is all about aiming at as small a spot that you can bore a hole through.  The better you learn the mechanics, the better you aim and vice versa.  

I would learn what it feels like to shoot with proper back tension as my focus and let the holding time be what is going to be.

Enjoy this sport of Kings,

Jeff Schulz
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline graysquirrel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
You are on the right track. Those that "aim" hit much better than those that "snap"
Bob L

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
Nate here is an exception to the rule, I've watched this guy shoot in Hungury and he is one of a kind and a true master of Archery, it's taken him a lifetime of practice to develop this level of skill. Really cool to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yorHswhzrU&feature=related

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©