Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Limits of a small yard  (Read 839 times)

Offline Cable Guy

• Trad Bowhunter
Limits of a small yard
« on: December 20, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
Hey guys,
Here is the scenario.

I have a small flat yard, and the longest shot I have is 15 yds with backstop.
I shoot and 62"/longbow/50@28 (if that detail even matters).

I have been at it at the archery range for a couple of years now, and just decided to put up and block in my tiny yard.

My questions are:

How can I make the best of this space, benefits etc, and can a target this close help my shooting over all...?

Thank you in advanced folks !

Chip
...Exhale

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Limits of a small yard
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
It most definately can help! Any practice that you do will help. You can always work on your form and help to ingrain your shooting into your subconscience so when the time comes you will just run on autopilot  :thumbsup:

I have a small yard too and still shoot and in the winter I have a small basement and can only shoot about 7 yards. I still try to shoot several times a week down there and it helps keep my form fresh and my muscles in shape.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline Cable Guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »
Well, I gathered a bit of motivation and put up some old 38mm table tennis balls @ 15yds.

At first, it was daunting, but you know what...

By the end of the day, I now feel good shooting at small targets like that...just feels really rewarding to see that ball crack.

I believe for me, its got to be fun every time I string up the bow...it keeps me coming back.
...Exhale

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
Before long you'll be shooting dime sized targets at 15 yards.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
10 years back I was in same situation (15 Yards) and worried it would bring my tourney scores down not being able to shoot a wider range of distances but it had opposite affect and my scores actually went up.

It was because the short distance made me focus more on my form, although I now have plenty of space I never forgot that lesson and always make sure I do plenty of short range form work.

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
I wish I could shoot in my yard.

I have 10 yards of basement to work with and have to shoot from a sitting or kneeling position because it is a 100 year old house with a Michigan basement and I'm 6'3" with a 65" longbow.

At first I just shot into a box with a blanket in it to work on my release. It seemed futile but it really really helped.

I started spray painting black dots of varying sizes on it to mimic different distances. I got the idea from one of those Black Hole target ads.

Honestly, I think its made me a better shot. I've only been doing it for a month and I've noticed significant improvement. Whenever you have the bow in your hands you are improving IMO.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline highelk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
Just an FYI. You are going to want to check your local statutes because some municipalities don't allow for a target practice in your yard.
I ran into this problem and it was definetly a PROBLEM.
That is if you live in town.
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."~Fred Bear~

Offline Cable Guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 03:29:00 AM »
10-4
...Exhale

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »
Any quality practice will help no matter what the distance is. I try to shoot a few arrows each day in my basement and all I have is about 10 yards. I wish that I could shoot 15 yards outdoors.

Offline sinistral

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
I to have the trendy 10yrd basement, it is all about form. It really helps to just get out and shoot. Strength will improve also. Plus I can play with some different thing, and I don't feel like I wasted a drive to the range. Jeff

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 06:58:00 AM »
imo, there is nothing better than woods roving for practice and tuning up for hunting.  relatively short and fixed distances help with form.  

the key is to be in the hunting element, for best hunting practice.  

that means, if you mainly hunt from the air, get up high (tree, ladder, etc) and practice.  for ground spont 'n' stalk, nothing beats roving and varying targets and body positions.  

it also greatly helps to shoot just the same bow and arrow type all the time.  familiarity breeds accuracy and confidence.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
I wish I had a yard! I recently figured out how to get 15 yards in my attic, but I need to find a backstop! It really seems like it is helping my form, and I'm glad I have somewhere to shoot.
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 60" 54@28
Brad Moore t/d recurve 62" 60@30

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »
For hunting practice some of the disadvantage of having only a short/small practice area can be compensated for by careful choice of the targets and setup.  Example:  painting a spot on a backstop and shooting at it is ok, but using a small three-dimensional target (commercial or home-made) placed in front of the backstop at different angles, and picking a spot on that target (ignoring the backstop) helps develop both depth perception in your sight picture (access target size, see tiny spot clearly on the target, ignore the  backstop) and 'spot-picking' on the 'animal' at different angles, both key to shooting real game.  Actually this kind of practice might be considered part of developing form, and may just be as valuable (or even more so) as the typical 'shoot at long range and you'll be a crack shot  at short range' theory that seems very popular these days.  

Shooting w/o sights is very much a mind game and the more you can practice that 'develop sight picture' aspect during your daily shooting routine the better prepared you'll be, regardless of the shot distance.

Offline jerseyboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
Is there really any difference shooting at a 1" circle at 15 yds or a 16" field target at 25-30? I think not. The main thing is that you practice
And in the end when i can no longer draw the bow or watch the arrow embark on its flight;when i posses only the spirit of the hunter, i will hunt.... if only in my dreams... because the hunt is born amidst my soul, and i... i am the hunter

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
A few more thoughts.  

Most of your deer shots will be at 15 yards or so.  

See if you can open a door and line the target up so you can shoot from indoors once in a while if the little woman will let you.

Elevate your block some so you aren't bending so much at the waist each time.  Shooting more at shoulder height will give you less fatique.

Use a good backstop.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
I am lucky enough to have a huge yard and can shoot almost 100yds, aerial, whatever but my 10yd basement range gets daily use,cold,rain, snow, night- I'm shooting down there. I'd be lost without it.It's a 110yr old farm house, so the head room aint great but I shoot kneeling or from a 3-legged stool into a block target. My favorite target is a foam ball for Nerf Guns about the size of a pingpong ball. I screw a tiny screweye into it and hang in front of the block.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
15 yrds better than nothing.at least you can practice and work on form.heck most of the shots at deer are 15 to 20 yrds where I hunt.

Offline Cable Guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »
I came across a topic that perked my interest in short range practice.....Might be tempted to turn off the yard light and see what happens.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=004272;p=1
...Exhale

Offline jerseyboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
recently we had a 25" snowfall so shooting outside is difficult. So to keep in shape i brought my block in the livingroom and shoot 50-60 arrows a night at 8 yds (thats as far as i can get indoors). If nothing else it conditions my muscles,sight picture, and release. i can now keep 5 arrows in a quarter sized group or smaller and my release and anchor point have been improved greatly. I think as long as you shoot its better than not.
And in the end when i can no longer draw the bow or watch the arrow embark on its flight;when i posses only the spirit of the hunter, i will hunt.... if only in my dreams... because the hunt is born amidst my soul, and i... i am the hunter

Offline camoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
I agree any practice at all will help. Most of what I have shot at has been within 20 yards. When I had a small yard I would use bails of hay with a plywood backstop just incase. Good luck.
US Army Staff Sergeant
1984-1990
2004-Present
Kosovo - 2005
Iraq - 2008
Afghanistan - Soon

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©