Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: bow/arrow tuning questions  (Read 574 times)

Offline dick sable

• Trad Bowhunter
bow/arrow tuning questions
« on: December 24, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
I have printed off Mr. Adcock's tuning guide and have it handy as a reference.  I will be shooting in my basement this Winter.  At best, I can get a 15 yard setup - - is that a sufficient distance to bareshaft tune?  I also have a set up at 9 yards. Are these distances OK to start?

Also, all of my bows are approximately within 5# of each other (55-60# @26").  Are the odds good that I won't need several different sets of arrows?  I thought I'd buy some 500 carbon shafts to start and plan on probably 225 or 250 grain up front.  Does that seem logical to you more experienced "tuners"?  In advance, the help is much appreciated.
Dick

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow/arrow tuning questions
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
Dick

15 yds is plenty of distance to bareshaft.  I usually start at around 6-10 yds and work out to 15 when I have them real close.

I may be off a little but a .500 spine shaft with 225-250 up front would be far to weak for your bow and probably too light as well.  That setup would work better for a bow that is around 52-52@28, which happens to be real close to what I am using right now.  

I would suggest stepping up to a .400 spine with at least 250 up front to start with.

Im sure others with alot more experience will chime in and get you closer, but that is just my $.02.

Good luck!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
Dick, you'll be fine with the distance and the same spine within a 5# range. I like to get 3-5yds away from a target and just shoot without aiming...just thinking and feeling my way through the shot. Then I'll move back at 3-5yd increments if I am continuing to commit to each shot..if I have a "less than" or a poor shot I go back to the previous spot and start all over.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline dick sable

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 06:49:00 AM »
ttt
Thank you gents.

Offline dick sable

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
OK, I took Jacob's advise and am using 400 black max shafts.  28" long and 245 gr. up front, including the brass insert.  At 15 yards the bare and fletched shafts are grouping very well.  The bare shafts are about 2" nock high and I can easily see porposing from 15 yards from the bare shafts.  Should I be seeing that or should I move the nock height? I don't see it from the fletched shafts.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
How the bows are cut in relation to center will have a big effect on how the arrows will tune to the different bows.  You should be able to work with side plate thickness and arrow point weight to use the shame shafts.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
adjust your nock height very little, the fletched shafts are compesating for the nock set, the bare shafts will magnify the adjsutments needed, although you are very close. keep in mind a bow that is cut to center or just past will shoot a stiffer arrow well. After you think you have them tuned get some very wide broadheads and shoot fieldpoint fletched arrows and then see where the fletched broadheads hit, you might have to do some minor adjustments, Although I would try and just get close now wait till you can shoot outside and get a better feel for whats going on. a little further will magnify things and give you a better idea.

Offline mustoffa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
im shooting a 500 hun,spine with a 125 up front and i shot 57 lb at 28 and it shoots great.to much wiegth up front is not good either they have a good scale in this moth trad magazine on front weight and how to measure it. to much weight up front make shaft to weak try less weight . or cut down shaft to stiffin it. although a long arrow fly better then s short arrow takes less time to stabblize.real good article in trad bow hunter magzine this moth on foc. front of center
vernon thompson

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by mustoffa:
im shooting a 500 hun,spine with a 125 up front and i shot 57 lb at 28 and it shoots great.to much wiegth up front is not good either they have a good scale in this moth trad magazine on front weight and how to measure it. to much weight up front make shaft to weak try less weight . or cut down shaft to stiffin it. although a long arrow fly better then s short arrow takes less time to stabblize.real good article in trad bow hunter magzine this moth on foc. front of center
Do you know your arrow weight?
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
some great advice that i read here...DON'T make that last cut, especially when your bare shafting at 15yds. Also tuning your arrows to your lowest poundage and least centershot, then you can adjust sideplate thickness on the other bows.

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
I BST at 6-10 yards as well and its worked out fine for me.
Levi Bedortha

Offline Conner Parry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
I can only get 12 yards in my basement and it seems like the arrows stabelize by then. I heard a guy down at the archery shop saying that arrows with stabilize from the "paradox" within 15'.
Shoot Straight

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©