Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Rick Welch method question  (Read 506 times)

Offline bihunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Rick Welch method question
« on: December 28, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
To be able to touch your nose on the feather like he teaches, do you have to move the feather closer to the nock? Also do you have to use shield cut feathers?

Offline Bruce Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rick Welch method question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
What you want to do is don't alter your natural draw as long as it is full draw with good back tension. Use a light bow for this, but at full draw just tilt your head slightly toward the arrow shaft and have someone make a mark on the shaft corresponding to the tip of your nose. That is where you want the feather to be... you don't want to be stretching into the feather unless you need it to have good back tension. Shield cut feathers work best but an old 'traditional' cut would also work. This is a second anchor that will help you achieve a consistent draw length as well as back tension. It is important to have another primary anchor, which for Rick is the thumb knuckle on his ear lobe. That works about right for me as well and I also know this is back of my jaw bone. I make that the hard anchor that I achieve first, then touch the nose to the cock feather all while looking at the spot I want to hit. When the bow arm settles in (this is why Rick has his students pause up to 3 seconds), let the release happen. If arrows are hitting consistently left or right, adjust the strike pad to move them right or left. That's it, pretty simple.

Offline bihunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »
Thanks Bruce.

Offline Bruce Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
On my arrows the feathers are ending  about 1 and 3/4 inches from the nock throat, so the fletching is a bit up on the shaft compared to 'normal'; however, I've seen no detrimental effects on arrow flight. Heck if you watch Rick shoot there are no detrimental effects whatsoever!

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
I will be trying this with interest. Thanks also
divecon

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
try his method with a clicker, you will be impressed.

Offline Quinn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
Depends on how long your nose is.
"If you put the federal government in charge of the  Sahara Desert , in five years there'd be a shortage of sand."   ~ Milton Friedman

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »
With all due respect your ear lobe is soft tissue and you can have your thumb knuckle "on your ear lobe" in an inconsistent manner shot to shot.I can also assure you my ear lobe and the back of my jaw bone are not the same. I have obseved shooters employing this method combined with touching their nose (the shape of which can vary greatly person to person) to the fletching (which also varies) and their head moves to what is never a consistent anchor point. Either they or I or both of us are missing something with this method.

Offline DTD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
I lock my thumb knuckle against my jaw bone just under my ear lobe. The top of my thumb is up against the bottom of my ear lobe. Works for me.
Doug

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 03:59:00 AM »
I fletch with a BPE,I place the end of the feather right on the last location mark of the clamp.
Works good,,,an I don't have a big nose.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline Bruce Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
Faces and jawbones vary, just telling what Rick Welch teaches and that it works for me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©