Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: shooting right  (Read 474 times)

Offline elksticker

• Trad Bowhunter
shooting right
« on: December 29, 2009, 12:26:00 AM »
I have one bow that consistly shoots to the right (I'm a lefty).  I have never experienced this with any of my other bows, but at 30 yds. I can make a ladder 1 ft. right of my target.  I've tried all different arrow sizes, lenghts, point wt. all of them shoot some where right of the target.  I have also adjusted the brace height a 1/2" both ways.   It is a new fairly expensive custom bow, and I would dearly love to keep it.  Any suggestions..........Thanks

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: shooting right
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 05:30:00 AM »
Is it a little heavier weight than you are used to? I'm a lefty and if I do not get my back tension into my shot I will shoot right. So it sounds like a form probelm to me.

Dan Quillian once told me that he would rather see someone to shoot 10 lbs lighter and get 1/2 inch more draw because it will be more accurate. I didn't listen to him for years but now know what he was talking about.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline elksticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
No it is actually lighter by 3 lbs.  My normal hunting weight bow is #65, this one is #62.  About the only difference I can see is the came with a custom grip.  You know where they take a outline of your hand.  If that is the case then the problem is with all my other bows and I just can't believe that.  Oh I have one of Dan's bows, and it also shoots right where I'm looking.  Bill

Offline WOUNDED EAGLE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
If you want to use the arrows you are using now try bilding out your side plate a bit with double sided carpet tape under your side blate it should kick your arrows over a bit.
Wounded Eagle

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
Wounded Eagle,

I think that is backwards.......for a left handed shooter. I think he needs a softer sideplate........something like female velcro. I'm kinda new to this too........but am starting to play around with changing my strikeplates and sideplates.

If I am wrong.........and I have been known to be. Someone please correct me.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
LH with arrows to the right generally mean they are stiff. Options include lowering string height and then gradually increasing to find the best height. Adding steel adapter to your point and using heavier point (start with 50, 100, 150 gr). See if there is any change. Use a lighter string, but not much, may 2 strands.

Not all bows of similar weight are going to shoot the same arrows. One might be center-shot and another built out 1/8"; the first will handle a stiffer arrow.

I prefer a leather strike plate, because I add a piece of vinyl electrical tape which is heavier than the normal black tape if I need to build it out. This works with a stiff arrow from a center-shot bow. At some point the arrows fly better, group better and that is my approach. The harder material does not wear as fast as a softer material. Due to the paradox, the arrow is going to bend in on release, then bend around the strike plate. It is almost impossible for the shaft to maintain contact with the strike plate if you are shooting with fingers. That is why a stiff arrow will kick out. Just one man's opinion.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
You could be rolling the string with your fingers on release.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
I agree with Roy Steele, it sounds like you are rolling or dragging your ring finger.  The slightly different draw weight is messing up your release.  You may be raising your drawing elbow too high and torquing the string, too much weight on your ring finger, not enough on your center.  Concentrate on making sure the pressure is slightly more on the center finger, that will bring your elbow down.  Bill

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »
informative and helpful all!
Thanks
divecon

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 05:18:00 AM »
I would also look at hand torque if it's a different style grip than your other bow. Set up at 10yrds or less and just watch the arrow rest at release and see if the bow is moving in your hand at release.- Steve

Offline elksticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
Thanks Guys.  I'll try anything at this point.

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
lefty here to. when I shoot right, my alignment is off and the posts about the ring finger drag seem right on to now that I think about it. MBB#3, Rod Jenkins, keep your thumb and shoulders pointed at the target...when I'm tired, my shoulder points to the right and I start dragging my ring finger.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©