Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: String hand elbow question  (Read 489 times)

Offline riivioristo

• Trad Bowhunter
String hand elbow question
« on: January 01, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
Hi folks !
And happy new year to all !
So - I know I should draw my stringhand so, that it lines up with arrow...but do you keep your elbow vertical or do you lift it up? Someone claimed, that elbow up is risky , because of you can so doing get injured in shoulder area (I dont remember the exat reason for it)and other authority said, that one should rise his stringhand elbow or his arrows will be too much to right of the target (Mary Hamm in TBB IV page 263) So how you do this - any opinions ?
Thank you !
You lost your money-you lost nothing, you lost your health-you lost something, you lost your personality-you lost everything...

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String hand elbow question
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
Look at the front pictures of Reed Hamm on the next page (264).  From the front, your elbow should be level with the arrow or just slightly high.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline riivioristo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
Thanks for reply !

Yeah, I noticed those pictures of Reed shooting - but the picture of Mary shooting- there she looks to have quite raised elbow...
You lost your money-you lost nothing, you lost your health-you lost something, you lost your personality-you lost everything...

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
I looked again too.  She has her arm pretty well lined up with the arrow but is also using a relatively low anchor point.  She's a very good target shooter and has the lower target type of anchor point.  Also, I think camera perspective makes the elbow look a little higher than it really is.  That elbow should be roughly between 9 o'clock and 10 o'clock and hers is.  Body shape and general shooting form will cause different positions for each archer.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
On one of the threads concerning his form clock, Terry Green said your elbow could raise up a little without being a problem but don't go above 10 o'clock.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
if your physique allows, keep the drawing elbow/arm inline with the arrow.  

when the elbow is down, your shoulder blades better align for best back tension.  doing so, your draw length will typically increase.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©