Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: One of the keys of hitting the mark  (Read 904 times)

Offline Aspirinbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
One of the keys of hitting the mark
« on: January 03, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
Hitting the mark  

Often times I am asked what in my opinion is one of the key ingredients to shooting well.  My response?  I feel that one of the most important aspects of any style of shooting is "target acquisition."  I don't care how good or bad your vision is, what your method  of shooting is, or how long you have been an archer.  If you aren't effective at target acquisition, you won't be successful in the long run.  Whether you are a 3-D champ, a bowhunter, backyard archer, or someone that enjoys days afield stump shooting, you cannot hit what you cannot see.  And you must be able to do this consistently.

This single thing allows me to hit objects as small as a baby aspirin in mid air with an arrow.  I have tuned my eyes, mind and body through years of practice to immediately acquire the target. In the old days they called it, "picking a spot."  It is simple in theory yet hard to master.  I myself am guilty of occasionally staring at a huge set of horns and the whole animal instead of a particular spot.  I miss when I do this and I bet you do too.  You have to be able to shut out everything but where you want your arrow to land.  I think this is a mental and physical exercise.  I cannot rule out the mental side, after all, you have to be able to concentrate.  

In my stage shows I have to be able to shut everything out except the baby aspirin.  I have to ignore loud crowds, noises at sports shows, kids yelling, music blasting, and all the other sounds that go with sports shows.  I also have to be able to ignore the media when they show up, VIPs, and anyone else in the audience that can break my concentration.  When I am "in the zone" you could blow a bugle beside me and I'd never hear it.  I would simply do what I do and hit the target.  But being the zone can come and go if you don't practice.  You have to have a strong mental concentration.  We did shows in downtown New York city a few years ago.  Talk about mental concentration.  I was outside at Tavern on the Green in the middle of Central Park on a Spring day.  We also performed in the Bronx at Van Courtland Park.  Again, concentration.

Locking down on a very small, distinct spot.  No waiver, no second guessing, just locking down and putting 100% of your concentration on one particular mark.  You can train yourself to do this with some practice.  Learn to "acquire" the target.  Focus.  Concentrate.

As a bowhunter, you have to be able to ignore things too.  The big rack, any other game, the elements,and anything else that serves as a distraction.  As a competitive shooter, you have even more to ignore.  Don't let a competitor anywhere near your mental game.  If they get in your head you may as well hand them the trophy.  Game over.  Be strong and stay focused.  The late, great AL Henderson was the first to call my attention to the mental side of archery.  I suggest everyone reading this column pick up a copy of Al's book, "Understanding Winning Archery" sometime soon.  It is a good read.  Al was ahead of the game on his theories on the mental side of archery.  Look for his book on Target Communication's website.

When it all comes together you will bring a strong amount of shooting practice, a strong mental game, and the ability to acquire a target all together.  Can target acquisition be learned?  I certainly think so.  My eyesight is good.  Really good.  But even if yours isn't, I still think you can get better at target acquisition with lots of practice.  When you see an object, look at it.  Really look at it.  Instead of the whole 3-D deer target, pick a spot where you can see a mark or a shadow or anything that serves as an "aiming point."  Smaller is better.  Always try to aim small. Pick a tuft of hair when you see that big buck.  Don't see the whole deer, see a spot where you want that arrow to land.  I do this on the balloons I shoot.  I never shoot at the whole balloon.

I don't shoot at flat target faces often.  Why?  It is more difficult for me to pick a small spot on those type targets.  I prefer a lifesaver, a balloon, or any 3-D object.  I will even tear a piece of paper off the target face and shoot at it instead of a bullseye.  As an instinctive shooter, I look at what I want to hit.  What I write about here will apply to all shooting styles. Think about it.  You cannot hit what you cannot see.  

Often times it is something very simple that can all the difference in a shot hitting it's mark or missing.  I think target acquisition is one of the most important aspects of archery or any shooting sport. Tough to master but it will be worth it if you make the effort.  I hope this column will help you become a better shot and enjoy this great sport.

Until next time, Adios & God Bless.

Shoot Straight,
Frank Addington, Jr.
The Aspirinbuster
Shoot Straight,
Frank

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: One of the keys of hitting the mark
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
Great post Frank.  As a wing shooter and competitive clay target shooter I always tried to shoot the bird in the eye or shoot the clay pigeon on the very front edge.  Your hit rate goes up when you take it right down to the smallest possible thing you can concentrate on when shooting.  

With a bow in my back yard I often try to shoot a hole or if I get a good arrow in the target I will try to shoot the arrow.  It is amazing how much tighter the groups get if I am concentrating on a very small spot instead of a 3 or 4" dot.  I have started not putting dots on my feed bag targets.  When they are new bags I put on little pieces of duct tape for spots to shoot.  When they get some wear I just find some hole or tuft of stuffing to shoot.  It is amazing sometimes how I can shoot a piece of bag stuffing right back into the target within a couple arrows, but can't put them all in a 4" group shooting a 4" dot.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
Good column, I would say to many of us novices get in are own way by thinking to much about our form. That's why I'm a big advocate of proper blind bale work and when your shooting targets all you have to do is concentrate on where you want the arrow to hit. Here is example: my neighbor dog brought over a soccer ball this summer so I thought I wonder if I can kick it and hit it and within minutes I was kicking this ball as hard as I could and it would be bouncing and rolling in a very erractic path and I could bring my bow up and hit it just about every time. Absolutely no thought in my mind except hitting the ball. - Steve

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
Understandably I have a harder time picking a spot on smaller targets like rabbits and groundhogs.  I tend to look at the whole animal.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Aspirinbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
Glad you folks enjoyed the column.  Email if I can help you in any way.

This is a great sport and instinctive shooting is a great method.
Shoot Straight,
Frank

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 02:59:00 AM »
"If you aren't effective at target acquisition, you won't be successful in the long run. Whether you are a 3-D champ, a bowhunter, backyard archer"

Dont think anybody would make 3D champ if they didn't have this skill.

I shoot a lot of IFAA Field as well as 3D and find the large faces, longer dstances (80y)and multi faces set on targets makes it a VERY challenging round for Longbow. If I can see the X I aim for it, if not the Spot is my target and nothing else.

good post

Offline Bruce Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »
Very good post, we don't talk about the mental aspect of archery enough and as you say, it is fundamental just like consistent form. Are there particular exercises that you recommend for training oneself to quickly and consistently acquire the target? I remember reading in one of Howard Hills' books that he would look at random objects and pick small spots on them as if he were to shoot them. Thanks!

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 08:36:00 AM »
Aspirinbuster question for you.

I’m considered one of the top IFAA\\Fita tourney Longbow shooters in the world (several world & European titles and a number of Field records) I’ve never tried the Asprin shooting thing (never found anybody to throw for me) and I’m pretty sure I would struggle to hit something so small out of the air, I’ve shot aerial targets to a reasonable standard (I would make 3 out of 4 shots), the fluid drawing and follow through mixed with instinctive style works well for these moving shots but doesn’t work so well for me on IFAA rounds and I use a slower more controlled shooting form.

Do you shoot tourneys, and do you think your method works in all situations or do you think Tourney and Asprin form are two completely different skill sets?

Offline Aspirinbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
Zeta
Different skills, for sure.  I was "ok" as a target shooter/competitor.  The GAP shooters would beat me on the field courses but I could usually beat them on animal or 3-D ranges, especially unmarked yardages.  My strong point as a purely instinctive shooter is quick, short range shooting.  I can hit objects behind the back, regular, under my leg, etc this method.  I don't look at the bow, the arrow or anything but my target.

I always tell people instinctive shooting is a good short range method of shooting.  I have made some klong shots and my father was really great at long shots but it's mostly a short range style.

Congrats on the tourney wins--- thats impressive.  Keep up the good work.  As long as it works and you are having fun that's what matters.  

Shoot Straight,
Frank
Shoot Straight,
Frank

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
I can shoot Instinctive, Gap and point of Aim method and do well at marked Field and unmarked 3D but obviously my instinct isn't quite at your level.

I won the Fita 3D world champs is Sept against some very good instinctive shooters (Fita 3D is close to IBO with 33y max distamce) but I tend to use Split-vision more on static targets and instinct on moving.

Thanks for the reply and intersting topic

Offline Aspirinbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
I have often said a truly instinctive shooter can't compete on a target course with a GAP or split-vision shooter.  Where an instinctive shooter's advantage comes in is in the field under hunting conditions when the first shot counts.  

Jim Brown was a great NFAA shooter and he was a great GAP shooter.  Just amazing.  

Sounds like you have a great system Zeta... it must be considering your trophy case.  Congrats again on your recent win.

Keep shooting.
Shoot Straight,
Frank

Offline highelk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
Good post Frank. Thanks for the insight.
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."~Fred Bear~

Offline Aspirinbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
THANKS
Shoot Straight,
Frank

Offline elkhunter752

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
Great post Frank.  I've been trying to train myself to do this lately just shooting at a block and was having trouble, but a little piece of red tape on the target seems to really help.  I was curious, what ranges do you shoot aspirin at?
Dillon Martini

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
Thank you, Frank. Any reminder that gets us back to the fundamentals is of enormous help.
You can only hit what you can see.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
thanks for the great post!
Levi Bedortha

Offline mustoffa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
aim small miss small
vernon thompson

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
Thanks Frank for the words of wisdom. Keep em coming. Some of us need all the help we can get.  :knothead:
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Online Stagmitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 11:51:00 PM »
Frank said:

"I was "ok" as a target shooter/competitor. The GAP shooters would beat me on the field courses but I could usually beat them on animal or 3-D ranges, especially unmarked yardages. My strong point as a purely instinctive shooter is quick, short range shooting."

Frank,

Im sorry but from your contradictory post above I dont beleive you have an understanding of what "Gap" shooting really is.

Frank said:

I have often said a truly instinctive shooter can't compete on a target course with a GAP or split-vision shooter. Where an instinctive shooter's advantage comes in is in the field under hunting conditions when the first shot counts.

Again, complete contradiction.
Stagmitis

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 04:20:00 AM »
Whatever aiming method you use as long as you've learn't it to a high enough standard and it's backed up by good form you can win tourneys.

On unmarked 3D shoots either gap or Instinct method works but on marked Field distances Gap\\POA shooters will have an edge as they can use the known yardage to their advantage.

Most of the really good shooter I know tend to blend all the aiming methods together, makes you flexible enough to deal with most shooting situations.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©