Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Newbie question  (Read 447 times)

Offline beemerhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Newbie question
« on: January 03, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
I'm new to the forum and haven't made my first trad bow purchase as of yet.  Still shoppin'. I would like to know the advantages of shooting 3 under as opposed to split style.  I figure if I start out with the correct method for my shooting purposes I won't have to readjust later on.  By the way, I plan on using my first bow for whitetail hunting if that lends any credence to your responses.  Thanks,

Ken in Tn
Acts 16:31

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newbie question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 02:34:00 AM »
Hi & welcome to the Trad life. I am a newbie compared to most of these guys. Shot my first recurve in Jan. 2007 and killed a black bear @ 18 yards that Sept. Of 07. Most exciting kill ever because of the recurve. Three under from what I understand makes you a little stronger ( more leverage) and puts the shaft more online with your eye. If I were to start over I would choose 3 under. Either way just choose a bow made for the way you decide. If you can shoot bows made for each & see if you do better one way or the other. Good luck.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
You'll hear arguments from both sides on this one as it's a hot topic but it all boils down to the arrow is a finger width closer to your eye which seems to help some shoot better at hunting ranges.  One of my friends shoots quite well this way.  The best shot I know shoots split finger with a fairly high anchor and has been doing this for the 40 years I've known him.

The disadvantages would be the bows shoot louder, the arrow isn't as secured on the string. I feel it's not as effective on flying or fast moving game as split finger, and your effective range will be shorter before you have to drop your anchor to shoot longer targets like in 3-d rounds so you'll either have to cover the target with the arrow or drop your anchor.

I'll pour a cup of coffee and watch this one.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
I agree with Reddogge, both methods have their advantages, try them both and see what suits you the best.

I shoot Recurves 3 under and Longbow Split finger (tourney rules) I shoot equally well with both methods.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
double topic post - this one gets locked.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©