Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Newbie question  (Read 612 times)

Offline beemerhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Newbie question
« on: January 03, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
I'm new to the forum and haven't made my first trad bow purchase as of yet.  Still shoppin'. I would like to know the advantages of shooting 3 under as opposed to split style.  I figure if I start out with the correct method for my shooting purposes I won't have to readjust later on.  By the way, I plan on using my first bow for whitetail hunting if that lends any credence to your responses.  Thanks,

Ken in Tn
Acts 16:31

Offline brock donald

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newbie question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
im just like you first day on the forum and have been shooting trad for a month now. i shoot split but wish i would have started three under i think. the guy helpin me told me that but i got better arrow flight shooting split and thats why i do. now it dosnt feel right switchin. practice and you will be suprised how good you will get. good luck

Offline Cable Guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
Hhmmmm....We might help you.

But....

.....Will you finish what you start, and will you adhere to the fact that there is no correct method, but choice....?
...Exhale

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
I've always shot split but it appears to me I been seeing alot of folks switching to 3 under. One advantage I've read is you can get your eye over the arrow easier and some that use one of of their vanes as a secondary anchor point find that 3under is easier when using that method. I tried 3under on a few shots and  just am not willing to do the work and re adjusting it would take to switch yet..  Cable guy is right to some  degree. My suggestion is try them both for a few sessions and then go with what you shoot best, then get on with perfecting the other aspects of becoming a good shooter- Steve

Offline woodbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
It depends on if you are going to shoot instictive or gap shoot or somthing in between. if you are going to gap shoot i would suggest 3 under its a very accurate way of shooting.but there are several ways to shoot figure that out first, then do whats most corfotable and accurate and practice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 03:21:00 AM »
3 under seems to serve gap shooters well.
  I see no advantage to 3 under unless you go the gap shooting way. I sumise this because I have noticed that all 3 under shooters I have seen or were pure gap shooters.  This said there are many split shooters who also are gap shooters.   Only experimentation and experience will answer this for you. Its a great method for alot of people.  As for me, and apparently the  majority of archers, it feels  un natural-- you just will have to find out what works best for you.  I have a friend who is a very good shot who shoots TWO finger split.--Go Figure--What ever works for you is the most advantagous.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 04:56:00 AM »
I shoot Recurve 3 under and Longbow Split (tourney rules) and I gap with both methods.

I find they both work equally well and it's just a matter of finding what's the most comfortable for you.

Offline graysquirrel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
3 under if done correctly is great for hunting. Generally you will be point on from 25 yds and in.  Great way to hunt.  And after doing it for a while it will become so natural and quick it will be almost ........."instinctive"
Bob L

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
I shoot 3 under but I gap shoot.and that's what works best for me.try both and see what one you like better.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
Why are there two threads exactly alike by the same poster going at the same time.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
hi ken, welcome!

here's an article targeted at newbies to trad that might be of help to ya ...

www.tradgang.com/docs/newbies.html
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Chuck from Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
Go ahead and experiment with both ways and determine what you like best, now. Both are fine and each has its own advantages and disadvantages. Your preference is as valid as anyones opinion. Your particular physique may favor one method or the other. Good luck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©