Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: The Four and a Quarter Finger Salute  (Read 439 times)

Offline Pissant

• Trad Bowhunter
The Four and a Quarter Finger Salute
« on: January 19, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »

A few months ago I lost my right index finger and thumb....(I'm a lefty) Thankfully I had the thumb replanted. I'm not bitter but actually grateful that things aren't any worse(I could be sporting a hook). I was and will be again a very competitive instinctive archer.  I was just wondering if anyone else has any digits missing or has any input on the subject. Although my thumb is there it is very stiff and I have a substantial amount of nerve damage.  I have minimal feeling but I can't complain with my weekly hand massage from my gorgeous physical therapist. I haven't picked up my bow since the accident but was just released to use my hand at it's full capacity. Tomorrow I have the day off and I'm going to pick up the bow and begin to rebuild mentally and physically. It's just a finger, small potatoes in my book.  I would love to hear any input on the subject though, I have no choice but to embrace it....just part of the process of reinventing yourself right?   :banghead:  

Jay aka Pissant(stumpy, franky 4 fingers, captain nub, insert clever nickname here_______)

Offline Matt_Potter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Four and a Quarter Finger Salute
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
Jay,

I grew up an a dairy farm - about half the guys in that business were missing one digit or another.  My dad did basically what you did to his right hand in a corn copper and they were able to put both digits back on.  Granddad took the tips of 3 of his fingers off in a hay pully.  

You will be amazed at how fast you learn to adapt and how quickly you forget that it happened.  You will be shooting at your old level or better before you know it.

I am a lefty as well - I would try using a bow sling while you are relearning.  Take a look at Scott Anzacs (SP?) dvd he shows how to make one out of rope (three rivers carries it).

Good luck

matt

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Four and a Quarter Finger Salute
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
Jay it looks like you have 90% of it whipped! Great attitude. Have fun with it, instead of "give me a high five" you say "give me a high four." My uncle always gave his "half of piece sign" when he lost his middle finger. What the heck happened anyway? Looks like must of hurt.- Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©