Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Recurve problem  (Read 490 times)

Offline vahunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Recurve problem
« on: January 19, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
A friend gave me an old Pearson recurve bow. #40 64 inches. 28 inch draw. I put a new string on, put a stick on arrow rest and I am shooting 29 inch beman 340 carbon arrows with a 125 grain tip. I shoot with one finger over arrow and 2 down. When I release the string the nock of the arrow is hitting the end of the riser just past the rest. It is causing the arrow to swing to the left as it leaves the bow and my groups are to the right because of it. What could be causing this and how can I fix it? Thanks

Offline Scott Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurve problem
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
I'd say the 340's are way too stiff for your bow.
I would try some .500 spine arrows with about 225 grains up front and see how that works for you.  Maybe even try the new Traditional Only shafts in a 600 spine from 3 Rivers Archery.

I'm sure some of the other more experienced fellers here will chime in soon also.

Good Luck!!
Scott
"I hunt not to kill, I kill to have hunted."
"Aim small, miss small."

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
*I'm not one of those guys Scott's referring to, by the way*

According to Beman's shaft selector, the 340s are meant for 62-66# bows.  As Scott suggested, go for the 500s.

Beman Shaft Selector
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline JF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »
Iagree, shafts too stiff.John

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
Vahunter,I get very performance from Easton Redline 520's at the same draw length spec's as you but with a 50lb high performance recurve.
These are my target arrow and as such would be unsuitable for an all round target hunting type of arrow,but it does give an idea of how much your 340's are over spined for your setup.
I've set up many arrows for my new friends in archery in resent times and I belive even a heavier walled 500 will still be a little stiff for your set up without some extreame wheight foward,along with being left either full length or close to it.
I'm currently setting the guys with 50lb bows up with beman 500's with over 225 grains up front and at lest 29" in length for their 50lb bows.
This provides a good arrow wheight for both hunting and 3D work.
I Havn't set anybody up for a 40lb so I can't give exact recommendations for that,but I would try either a Carbonexpress 90 or Goldtips 1535 for that draw wheight.
In arrows you will probably find it quite hard to find an exceptable arrow wheight for hunting with your draw wheight.
Sorry if that's not as detailed as I'd/you'd like,,but yes your arrows are far to stiff for your bow.
Best of luck.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline davesonic444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
If you shoot the 500s leave them full length with 250 grns up front. i would go to 600 spine if you can.

Offline graysquirrel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
try some carbon express predators in 20/40. They should be the ticket for that bow
Bob L

Offline craig1955

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
I agree with the 600 spine.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »
Those older Pearson's are terrific bows. I don't usually comment on spine issues, however I truly believe as others have mentioned that you are way overspined with 340's.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©