Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Before the shot  (Read 913 times)

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
Before the shot
« on: January 21, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
Has anyone tried the olympic shooters discipline of psychologicly getting prepared for the shot. I tried it to some degree and it seems to help. Just wondering if anyone who has tried it has any helpfull suggestions.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Before the shot
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
Yep I'm a Longbow tourney shooter, I have a shot sequence which is about seven steps for me.

Learn the shot sequence and make it automatic, just like every other part of your shooting.

The only two things in my head at moment of release are where I want to arrow to end up and expansion the rest just happens.

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 01:22:00 AM »
Same as Zetabow,,have to have a sequence.

A sequence that you can always return to is also the best method I've ever heard of to shoot animals,it gets you right over that "didn't pick a spot" thing,because not picking a spot is seldom if ever the real issue.
The real issue is simply not shooting properly,and having a shot sequence stops that so long as you stick to is.
The old saying of just doing the same thing from one shot to another has it's foundation in shooting the same each time,,,,obvious ???,,not if you don't even know your own shot sequence or routine.
For me it's an absolute must and the young guys I coach all get handed a set 10 step routine printed on paper the very first day I meet them,,the following week I want them to be able to show it to me,step by step.
It's how I was taught once I went looking for advice.
I was lead to belive those ten steps were the basis of all good shooting,,,40 years later I still agree.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline Cable Guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 03:01:00 AM »
Just wondering if you could expand on the sequences.
Thanks...just wanted to understand better.
...Exhale

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 03:45:00 AM »
7 steps
Aim
Stance
Bowhand
String fingers
Draw to Anchor
Expansion
Followthrough

It's obviously a little more complex than the basic list, for example string finger involve correct joint placement, finger pressure combined with a relaxed wrist and forearm but when I say to myself "string fingers" I know it involves all those other parts as well.

Best to start of with a very detailed and long sequence and as you learn it you can reduce it to a few simple steps. During practice sessions I'm renforcing the shot sequence all the time, at the end of practice I like to let go and just do a few doz shots without thinking. The best thing about a shot sequence is when things are not going well, it can be something to fall back on and hold it all together till you're back in the zone

Like I said in a previous post when I'm in a tourney and really in the zone and everything is working great it can just be two steps, Aim and Expansion, the more automatic the sequence the less you have to think and better the shot but it involves a lot of practiced thinking to get to that level           :)

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
kill shot, what I believe you are speaking of is called "mind-set". It is a time (about two seconds)when the archer completely clears his mind of all irrelevant thought. He then shifts focus on executing the shot.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
Zetabow,What is expansion?

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
BobCo, yes thats what I meant. Getting into the zone. Zetabow and Earthdog has good advice that is sometimes forgotten or neglected.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by kill shot:
Zetabow,What is expansion?
Expanding the Scapula to pull through the shot, Expansion is a better and more accurate description than 'pull through' or 'back tension'.

When people say pull through it can be mistaken for the meaning of pulling through the shot with the fingers and 'Back tension' might be mistaken as holding weight with back muscles which can also be misleading as the shot process is always dynamic and never stops, if you just hold with back tension I've found it VERY hard to get Scapula moving again, it has to be a fluid and constant build of power.

The correct way is to draw to anchor maintaining 50/50 push/pull with the arms while expanding the scapula and at right moment relax the Flexor muscles in forearm which take the tension out of string fingers. Get it all just right with perfect timing you get a very sharp release with great followthrough.

Getting into the 'Zone' is very simple for me, if I have that internal dialog (chatter) in my head it's going to be an average shot at best, you have to clear your mind of all internal and external distractions.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
Thank you Zetabow, even though I was questioning on how competetive archers get ready for the shot,this is a very interesting advice. I have never had "expansion" brought to my attention. I will work on adding this to my shot process.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
Things like
Aim
Stance
Bowhand
String fingers

can all be setup on a conscious level before the shot sequence actually starts, this also allows you to clear your mind, so it's related to org post.

Offline Cable Guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
Gotcha, I can see why such a checklist should become 2nd nature.
...Exhale

Offline Markus77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
Zetabow, I see that in your shot sequense, you have aiming first. How do you aim like that? My aiming starts after stance and fingerposition, when I´m looking at the arrows path, but the real aiming is before and during the expansion.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 02:00:00 AM »
Markus it's addressing the target and making a conscious decision of exactly where I want my arrow to go, and to visualize it going into that chosen spot. From that point on my focus never drifts so really my aim starts from there and finishes when the arrow hits the target.

Offline Markus77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 03:04:00 AM »
Thats sounds good. Maybe thats how I do it when I shoot well.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 03:55:00 AM »
Markus do you know Björn Källhult? I shot against him at the Fita 3D world champs last year, great shot and really nice guy.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
I believe Zeta is correct in that Expansion is not the same as pulling through. Pulling through to me seems to imply a linear movement straight back while expansion is very internal and is not a recognizable motion which is detected unless a person is trained to do so. Movement wise it is only a few millimeters. Expansion is an angular movement of LAN2 (this is an area which includes the draw side scapula, back of draw shoulder and back of draw arm) with the cental axis point being spine.

Instructors use the exercise of lying in bed face up on your back and forcing the shoulders back into the matress as a simulation of expansion.

Offline Markus77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
To Zetabow:
I haven´t met him, I have only been shooting longbow, for little more than a year, and when the svedish championship for Fita hunting round was, he was away to the 3D world champ. But I have invited him to our club for a weekend of training. He´s going to help a group I gathered with shooting, both tecnical stuff and the mental aspect of shooting and shooting tournaments. I have been shooting really good lately during pratice, but when I went to a small target competition with no other longbow shooters, I just couldn´t shoot anymore. So than I called him to ask if he could help me, and now he´s coming in the end of februari.
 After talking to him, I red on the internet that you beat him in the semifinals, so maybe next year I´ll call you  ;)

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
It's to cold to shoot outdoors lately but I can't wait to put that expansion thing to real practice. I tried it in the garage,and I can see how it would work.Lots of good input here on this topic.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Markus77:
To Zetabow: so maybe next year I´ll call you    ;)  
I just completed a 2 day shooting seminar for the Finnish Tourney\\Bowhunters, they enjoyed and said they learnt alot, they asked me to return and do another session with them in the Summer. Afterwards they took me to their club in Helsinki, an old WW2 bunker with a 20 x 50m range, very handy place to shoot when it's -20C outside

Will be in Stockholm sometime before end of March (go some free ferry tickets    :)    )

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©