Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Open hand or death grip ???  (Read 1238 times)

Offline JF

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Open hand or death grip ???
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
loose grip seems to work best for my rc . john

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
A firm, full-handed grip for me.   It's more consistent, quieter-shooting, easier to control the bow in 'odd' shooting situations and actually REDUCES the amount of torque issues I've had (the bow/shelf/sideplate has less jump or twist if is firmly held vs. losely 'balanced').  It promotes a push-pull motion, works for any bow (longbow or recurve) and it enhances string clearance since the arm is bent more than with a straight wrist 'gentle' hold. Plus, no armguard is needed except when wearing heavy clothes.

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 12:56:00 AM »
I use a firmer grip but not white knuckles. I find it helps me with follow through and accuracy. I will try the fingers tucked under though. I only started shooting trad in 07 so lots to learn.

Offline Jason_MO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
I have more of a firm grip, but never really use the pinky or ring finger in my grip.

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
I pull back into the web of my hand and as I come to anchor I use just enough index and middle finger pressure to keep the bow from lurching out of my hand.

Now my long bow is a different animal. It requires a little more control.

Having a quiver mounted on the bow changes my grip a bit. I use a solid grip with as little tension as possible.
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by xtrema312:

Originally posted by Igor:
My forefinger and thumb touch...but the bow is primarily held there against the web of my hand by the pressure of the bow being drawn.

><>
Glenn
I do the same.  I was griping more, but now I do this.  I also now tuck in my bottom three fingers and touch the back of them to the grip.  This really cut down the bow torque.   [/b]
I have started to shoot this way as well with my bottom 3 fingers tucked in and it has helped me alot!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 04:56:00 PM »
I have a light grip on both lb and recurve. The harder I grip the more torque I had.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline MercilessMing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
When I started archery 1 year ago with Olympic style I shot open grip with sling.  My Hoyt recurve riser is heavy and with stablizer so open grip was never an issue.  After I found there are more fun shooting trad, I switched to longbow.  The longbow is much lighter in mass and open grip will let the bow torque if the release is not clean.  Depending on how good my releases are on the day, I will grip the bow firm accordingly.  

The other thing I noticed is recurve grip are usually higher.  I have to conciously "heel" my palm to the longbow grip instead of "choking the throat".  If I heel the grip, I usually don't need to grip the bow dead.

Offline firsted

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
For recurves there seem to be pretty consistent guidance.  I previously had too tight of a grip & did note torque.  Then I just stared at Asbell's picture on the Instinctive Shooting book until looping my forefinger around the grip, meeting my thumb, became second nature. Allows my wrist to better align w/the arrow & the shot is more consistent.  Don't know how the "curling the bottom 3 fingers" works, tho.  I've tried that & must be doing something wrong - seems to put too much pressure on the fingers.  Loose grip is my much preferred approach.  Great topic.  Thanks.
*** Skysoldier - 1/509 ABN

--"You don't get old until your dreams are replaced by regrets"--

Offline ren sarns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
I like a loose grip,  everytime I grip firmly I torque the bow and start going left/right.
WSAA/TBW/NFAA

NAVY MCPO - RETIRED

Offline jerryb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
Depends on the bow
My recurve I shoot with fingers just touching the front of the bow
On my long bow I grip it firm but no death grip
Long bow rist down .recurve high rist high
Tredway 51@28 60"                 Tredway 48@28 60"                 21st Century 47@28 62"            Bear Grizzly 43@28 56" bear grizzley 48@28 58"

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »
I went to a much firmer grip on my bows as I get more control on where I am pointing the bow and a much more consistant follow through on my release...but thats just works for me. There is no one perfect way to shoot you just have to find what works for you.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©