Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Spine tolerance  (Read 469 times)

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
Spine tolerance
« on: January 21, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
I have been playing around with arrow tuning.  My question is simple, how much difference in draw length should a properly tuned arrow and bow combination accept before showing stiff or weak spine?  The reason I ask is that one of the guys I shoot with draws 2" more than I do and when he shoots my bow and arrows there is little or no change.  But when I work on odd positions they show stiff, meaning I am short drawing my setup.

Thanks
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spine tolerance
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
Looking at several arrow selection guides, it looks like there's a jump between spine every 5 pounds.  If I remember correctly, there's a 3 pound increase for every inch above 28 inches (should work to be about the same under 28 inches).

So, if my math is right, should work out to be a change in spine for every 1.6 inches.  Pure math, not sure how it works in real life.  :confused:
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spine tolerance
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
There seems to be a difference in how different people shoot a bow.  Two people can shoot the same bow at the same draw length and one will take a weaker arrow than the other.  Or, as in your case, two people can shoot the same bow at different draw lengths and both take the same spine.

I can't explain it, but I've heard it from enough places that I believe it's true.  Probably different releases and other subtle differences.  The bottom line is, you have to tune the arrow for yourself to get the best tune.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©