Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Anchor point  (Read 573 times)

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
Anchor point
« on: January 24, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
How many points of string or finger contact do you use. I've narrowed down to if my anchor is good I shoot good. I use the finger in the lip and string at my nose but man do I have to force myself to do it.

Offline Jason_MO

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anchor point
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
For me it is three.  Thumb knuckle behind lower jaw bone, index finger knuckle locked in/behind cheek bone and finger in the corner of lip/tooth.

Jason

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
I shoot split with 2 anchor points.Middle corner of mouth, base of thumb behind jaw just under my ear. Adding the thumb behind jaw seems to bring my elbow into alignment.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline davesonic444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
I use two.Finger to corner of mouth and the bottom of my glases.(before i wore glasses it was my right middle of eyebrow )

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Thumb knuckle behind jaw, index up under the cheek bone and shoulder blades pinched as tight as possible.  When I do that I have head alignment and a draw stop for proper and consistent draw length.  What ever you use make it a hard tissue anchor like a tooth or bone.  You want something that doesn't move if you move your mouth or jaw.  Feather or sting on the nose works well as long as it is a light contact.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline pete Darby @ home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
I use the four points that Bob Wesley taught me.  Two fingers on the face for consistent under the eye. Thumb knuckle behind the jaw to line up the elbow.  And lastly the string touching my eyebrow to ancor the bow angle.
Peter Darby

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
I use 3, seems to be plenty and anymore than that and I find myself "checking" anchor points instead of focusing on the shot.

Offline Quinn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
Middle finger @ corner of mouth, thumb knuckle under ear, back tension (you can only squeeze those shoulder blades so tight).
"If you put the federal government in charge of the  Sahara Desert , in five years there'd be a shortage of sand."   ~ Milton Friedman

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Quinn:
Middle finger @ corner of mouth, thumb knuckle under ear, back tension (you can only squeeze those shoulder blades so tight).
Yep...
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline greykilt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
For me consistent anchor point began with my bow hand. Learning to hold my longbow the same way with the same grip made my anchor point feel the same each time I drew the string. Two below, forefinger above nock and I pull it right to the corner of my mouth. I make myself hold that for a least one full second.String lays across the angle of my nose to cheek and away we fly.
Greykilt
"Good Ships, Wood Ships, Ships that Sail the Sea,
The Best Ships are Friendships and May They Always Be."
Spirit 66" LB 56#@28"
Spirit 62" custom TD LB 56#@28"
Spirit 58" Recurve 49#@28"
Bear 52" Kodiak Magnum 45#@28"

Offline longbow2364

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
On the post from Quinn

I would like to add thumb knuckle pushing middle of ear (almost closing ear canal) most people this will align the arm parallel to the ground.  Also this is easier if you fingers tips grab the string.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©