Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Head positioning/eye alignment  (Read 448 times)

Offline DeltaBowHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Head positioning/eye alignment
« on: January 24, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
any tips as to where the head/eye should be positioned at the time of release? I understand the concept of the shooting clock but not as it pertains to the head/eye. My anchor point is the corner of the mouth, but I wonder if I should be "looking over the arrow?" or looking at the target with no regard to head placement. I'm interested to hear your thoughts. I hope I made myself clear.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Head positioning/eye alignment
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
If you have a consistent head position, it shouldn't matter whether your eye is over the arrow if you're focusing on the target and shooting instinctively.  Shoot enough arrows and your brain should adjust.  I think the best instinctive shots actually shoot this way.

However, I have found that I shoot much better, and have fewer misses to the left, if I position my eye over the arrow.  When I do, the arrow seems to fly in a straight line from my bow to the target.  I can tell if my eye is not centered over the arrow because the arrow seems to be flying from right to left, and often misses to the left.  In order to center my eye over the arrow, I tilt my head slightly over the arrow.

Since it requires an extra movement, I would rather just hold my head where it naturally ends up when I anchor the arrow, but I have never been able to shoot as accurately that way as when I tilt my head so my eye is over the arrow.  But you might try it both ways and see what works out best for you.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
I have to agree with McDave.  I shoot a lot better when my eye is directly over the arrow. I use it like an anchor point.  If my eye is not over the arrow when I draw, I let down and start over.  I miss left a lot when my eye is off the arrow.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »
be careful...sometimes you end up getting your nose in the way, I gap.

Offline Quinn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
I agree with McDave, less misses to the left and right with eye over the arrow (still miss up and down though). Just be sure to keep the head tilt minimal and as natural to your regular set up as possible, don't get all hunched over.
"If you put the federal government in charge of the  Sahara Desert , in five years there'd be a shortage of sand."   ~ Milton Friedman

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
I've been trying to shoot at every different bow angle since I tend to vary my cant while hunting. My head tilt changes as a result, necessitating that I pull to under the eye.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©