Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Question for Terry Green  (Read 593 times)

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for Terry Green
« on: January 24, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
Terry,

I am going to attempt to attach a couple of pictures of me that my wife took while I was shooting yesterday, as well as a video of me shooting. I am having a very difficult time "following through" after the shot. It seems to me, when I watch the video that I pull my hand out from the side of my face, instead of pulling straight back along side of it. I know that my accuracy can be improved upon, but I can't figure out "how" for the life of me to get myself to do this. Before someone mentions the Form Master.......I already have one, and the thing that I notice most is that shooting arrows......AFTER.......using it, my bow hand (left hand in my case) wants to pull to the left upon my release.

Please......Terry, and anyone else. I'm willing to give ANYTHING a try to correct this problem. It's almost like I am plucking.....but.....not quite.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for Terry Green
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
Well you said anyone so here goes.

First pic I think you will do better without that quiver hanging on your arm.  :goldtooth:  

Ok that was probably not much help.  Second thought is what kind of bow is that?  That looks nice.

I really can't tell a lot from the pic's or video because I am obviously not an expert.  However, I do see a little and have had my problems with both issues.   So here is what helped me.

On the bow going left, bow torque, I found it helped to get my bow arm extended all the way out.  Not locked, but all the way out and elbow turned out.  I gained some draw length with that, and it helped my arm not want to fully extend on the shot.  Second was to give up on the full grip.  I opened up the bottom three fingers.  Try to put them with the tips on the face of the bow or back of the bow.  I have a 3 pc TD LB and I shoot it best with the three bottom fingers tucked in with the backs on the grip.  Try a bunch of stuff shooting blank bail to see what causes the bow to move at the target consistently on the shot.

It is hard to tell on the string arm alignment with the arrow from the side view.  From above or high back angle would help me.  However, from personal experience there were two causes of the hand moving away from the face.  One was short drawing or collapsing.  They kind of do the same thing to some extent.  If the arm is not in line with the arrow the hand will move out as the arm moves back to alignment and on it moves back at all.  The second problem for me was tension in the forearm and or hand.  With the upper arm in line and good back tension I can't really pull farther back unless I pull with my hand and or forearm.  When I do that I pull the hand away from the face even if the upper arm moves correctly.  With the arm in line with the arrow, back tension, relaxed hand and forearm, I can't overdraw because I run out of shoulder blade pinch.  On release my hand slides by my face and back or at lest stays on the face.  For me recently the cupping of the hand has been the problem.  

I hope I don't mess you up too much.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
I think I've got it...but I'm gonna call Rod Jenkins to get him to have a look as well.

What I think I'm seeing is a 'stalemate' at anchor.  You have totally stopped pulling, or you are creeping forward ever so slightly.

This is what I think is causing your hand to not go straight back.

If you will continue rearward tension by creeping ever so slightly back instead of forward....I think your follow through will be much more to your liking and wanting...and your release will be cleaner for sure.  And steady up that bow arm.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
I agree.......Terry. It's kinda like I just hold, and don't pull through......therefore my release is more of a "static" one than the dynamic one that I am searching for.

I am open to ANY suggestions, to fix this problem. Actually, believe it or not.....my shooting isn't to bad. I just know that it can and WILL be better if I can manage to get myself to pull through the release, instead of not allowing it to do so.

I'm all ears.........

Winterhawk1960

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
from what I can see you've not got 50/50 push pull set up (weak bowarm)and you are releasing with you fingers, you should learn to relax flexor muscles in forearm which allows fingers to just stop holding the string, if you do this and have correct push\\pull balance physics will do the rest and give rearward follow through.

Once your comfortable repeating that movement you can also try rotating elbow slightly to engage the Scapula. When I'm teaching I get people to try the movement with exercise band until they've learn't the feeling then to try with bow, when you try with Bow do it at the bale so you can just focus on the correct feeling and shot sequence.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
OK...here's another tip....no matter what tips you get here...work on ONLY ONE THING at a time.  DO NOT try and correct multiple things at the same time.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
In the close up shots, its  easy to see, you stop pulling by the amount you come forward to "settle in" to anchor...not that's its impossible to pull again after stopping, but its much harder to engage, after stopping....never stop pulling!

Try this :
Get up close and forget shooting bullseye....draw the bow and at anchor,watch the arrow point, now by pushing the drawing elbow to the left( back tension) and pushing from the  bow shoulder(back tension)  make the arrow MOVE rearward (slightly is enough)once you can move the arrow on demand, start allowing the draw hand to stop holding, as your moving arrow rearwards....don't anticipate the "let go" only allow it to happen.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
Thanks everyone   :campfire:  

Right now, I'm going to devote ALL my attention to getting the proper "back tension" at the moment that the release happens.

I know that I need to work on my bow arm steadiness too, but that will be later, after the back tension problem is resolved.

This might be a real problem for me, because I like to "hold" and admire the "sight picture". It would be easier to not stop the "push-pull" from the get go, but for now I'm going to push my drawing elbow to the left, and push with my bow arm........and we will see what happens.

Once again...........THANKS.....guys !!!

Winterhawk1960

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
Looks like TENSION everywhere. Relax a little as he only tension should be in the fingers holding the string and not much there. I agree coming to full draw hitting he anchor and then a collapse of the back tension. Be relaxed and let that back tension take over completely at full draw so you keep the push pull going. THAT IS A MUST. Pull through the anchor and push towards the target. Like I said relax as it doesn't take much.
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Winterhawk1960:
Thanks everyone     :campfire:    

I like to "hold" and admire the "sight picture".

Winterhawk1960
Yeah, I understand...ME TOO!! Pulling in an archery shot is a 3 phase affair....Key is the remain active in the balanced pulling phase, while your admiring the site picture....and the most important time for maintaining back tension(pulling) is the millisecond after the string begins to clear the fingers.

Excessive pulling to anchor

Balanced pulling at anchor

Increased pulling (expansion) to conclusion.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline canshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
I notice that you are running your bow hand index finger down the arrow to full draw then removing it. I catch myself doing the same thing, but If you are ever shooting cut on contact broadheads you will regret that habit.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 01:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by canshooter:
I notice that you are running your bow hand index finger down the arrow to full draw then removing it. I catch myself doing the same thing, but If you are ever shooting cut on contact broadheads you will regret that habit.
I know somebody else who did that, he was using finger as a draw check and a few months back he forgot to remove his finger and shot it, bloody mess is the best description.

By the way that's a sweet looking Bow.    :)

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 03:43:00 AM »
Two things,

Buy or make a Formaster,you won't have that admire the view and start to collapse for very long.

Try releasing the string 'just after' you pull past your anchour point.
IE,make pulling past anchour your trigger to release.
Practice that and that alone on a blank target.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©