Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 1151 times)

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
What am I doing wrong?
« on: January 21, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
After years of not being able to shoot, I've been shooting at least three times a week for a few months.  I've seen steady improvement and was actually feeling good out to 20 yds.  

Well, the last two nights have been horrendous, and tonight was as bad as when I first restarted.  I went back to 10 yds, and shot 8 good arrows and left.  Did I do the right thing?  Is there anything else I can do?  Has anyone else experienced this?
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
I know if I'm stressed or have anything on my mind, then my shooting suffers quite a bit because I'm not focused.  Also If I work out to much or shoot to much my shooting and form will suffer for a day or two.  If either of these things is affecting my shooting then I usually will just come to full draw and hold it as long as I can and then let down slow.  I will do that a few times and not shoot an arrow.  Then I'll start out by doing that a couple times the next day and then I'll try shooting some groups.  This works for me but it may or may not work for you.

Hope you get it figured out and are busting nocks soon.

Ken
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
I don't have the knowledge nor experience to say if you are doing anything wrong.

I will say that I can practice too much. I've noticed in the past that as I shoot everyday for 8-10 days I start to over-analyze my form and my groups fall apart. Just my thoughts.

Dusty

Offline RUSTY1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
For me, when I start a new day of shooting, I go thru a ritual of starting in closer, then working my way back out. Then some thru a narrow opening between 2 trees. Off my back deck. You know. Mix it up. If ya start gettin' uncomfortable, move back in. Works for me. I have a fraction of the experience the others on here have, but when I start shooting bad I go back to the basics. #1 important thing for me is to have fun. If I can't, I won't want to do it!

Rusty
R.J. Fens Jr.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
Try this - get close REAL close. Draw a 4-6 inch circle - shoot three arrows from say 5 paces.

Move back 2 paces if you can keep all three arrows in the circle. If you can't go back to the one you can.

Finish on a positive note...if you move back and you can't get all of them in..then move closer so you can and then quit while it's positive.

Concentrate on form and really burn a hole in the target.

Don't shoot when you get tired.

A horse trainer told me once;

"practice doesn't make you perfect"

ONLY PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES YOU PERFECT.

Some ppl here only shoot one arrow and practice form and concentration.....concentrating can really tire you out mentally...believe that.

Jer Bear

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
have a couple of days off ... start again from a really close distance and just shoot a few for form .
don't let it stress you [ the worst thing i can do in the same situation ] ... remember its meant to be fun . maybe go and whack some stumps ?

Ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline patvro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
Its nice to have someone watch you to see if they can spot what you are doing different. I have just stoped shooting before more than once because I was shooting bad its better to give it a break and shoot again later on or the next day then to start beating yourself up it will only get worse then. My bad shots always lead back to my grip and release. Good luck !
Waiting for october.

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
On one post, 'Biggie' said that a clear mind is key to instinctive shooting. Keep it in mind. I use it sometimes myself.
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Jim Curlee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
Don't force yourself to practice.
If you have a bad day, don't dwell on it. Take a day or two off.
Always finish on a good shot, if that means 5 yards so be it. Don't quit frustrated.
Jim

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
After years of not being able to shoot, I've been shooting at least three times a week for a few months. I've seen steady improvement and was actually feeling good out to 20 yds.

Well, the last two nights have been horrendous, and tonight was as bad as when I first restarted. I went back to 10 yds, and shot 8 good arrows and left. Did I do the right thing? Is there anything else I can do? Has anyone else experienced this?  
For one I do not believe everything went down hill in one night. If you were shooting pretty good and then you all of a sudden start shooting terrible it is very possible something happened. Have you put a new string on your bow lately? Have you changed anything on you bow?  Check you nock, make sure it’s not loose and has moved on you. Check you brace height. Make sure you are using the same anchor point every time, that is a big one. Go through the numbers, make sure everything fits and adds up. One thing for sure it will take you mind off missing. Try something new, my daughter had an old soccer ball. We were going to throw it away, so I shot it; ding ((((((  I filled the ball with greatstuff insulation and boom, have a great moving target. Try it you will have a blast. Guess what you will not care if you miss.
   :archer:
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
Sounds to me like you have some form issues.  Good form will allow consistant shooting.  The best thing you could do would be to get some video of yourself shooting and post it in the Shooter's Forum here.  Let the boys here see you shoot and I'll bet they can help you.
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »
Take shooting lessons from Rick Welch.  This will save you years of frustration.

Offline elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
Try shooting just one arrow,and then pull it.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
OK, are you a righty or a lefty? Where and by how much are you missing by?

Im by no means an expert, but when I start messing up, its usually one thing. Bad anchor point. I start shooting to the left drastically. I usually do a few "practice draws" focusing on my anchor, then ease back down. Sort of trying to "re-boot" my brain into the proper form. It helps alot...FWIW.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »
This is a MENTAL game!  Shooting well (given using proper form) is all about your ability to focus.  We all will only be able to shoot as well as we can concentrate...

Watch closely a guy that can shoot 3D's well... With all the noise, movement and pressure they will be focused and as cool as the other side of the pillow!!  This ability turns a good shot into a great one.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
I've had this happen myself. I went out a couple weeks ago and shot (no kidding) two groups at 25 yards into a duct tape roll. I thought holy goodness I got this figured out. Went out the next couple day's could not shoot a 10" group. I figured it out but it took me a few days. The mind is a powerful thing and we tend to over think everything. Just go back to the basics find your groove and it will all start to click. Its all about doing the same thing every time you pull that bow back. Jason

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
If you have room where you shoot, take an empty gallon milk jug and use it for a target.  Have an arrow on the string, then kick the jug and shoot at it before it stops moving.  It will relax you if you do it for about ten or fifteen minutes. And, you will find your mind recalling your form on those shots.  After you shoot that way awhile, go to the target and shoot a few arrows.  Don't expect to miss, or you will.

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
Get a really light bow, 20-25 pounds.  When you practice, you can concentrate on doing every thing in sequence;  draw, anchor, aim, release, follow through.  You will not be fighting the bow, the bow will not be ripping the string from your fingers, you must conciously use back pressure, and your bow arm will remain almost stationary after the shot.  Bill

Offline davesonic444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
Try a formmaster.Do some blankbale practice.

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
I was told once, and I am a perfect example of this as well."the best way to develop a flinch is to shoot at the same target at the same range over and over, until your brain starts to turn off." My brain needs varied stimulation to keep my brain in real time or I start thinking about everything other than where I want the arrow to go.  That old definition of insanity applies, trying to the same thing over and over again. I learn and develop better shooting with 50 stump shooting shots, than I can in a month of pounding the target in my yard.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©