Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: The elusive back tension--Any suggestions?  (Read 1166 times)

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
The elusive back tension--Any suggestions?
« on: January 25, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
It seems I have a difficult time properly setting in motion my back muscles on the draw. Sometimes I will just plain get lazy I guess and pull the string back instead of draw. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It obviously effects my form and I need to correct it sooner than later. Thanks
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The elusive back tension--Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
Pretend like you are going to close a door behind you with your elbow when you draw.  That way you wont engage your bicep and muscle the bow.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline hcorrigall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
Oh man you are in the right place-these guys here really know what they are about when it comes to archery.Read and take note!! They are good.

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Pretend like you are going to close a door behind you with your elbow when you draw.  That way you wont engage your bicep and muscle the bow.
Thanks Terry. I think that's the best way I've heard it explained. Was wondering myself.
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
Working on it guys! I am shooting in the basement and my two little girls are asleep above me and my wife is studying. I have to wait for the furnace to kick on before I can send em' down range to help drown out the noise. It seems when it is done correctly, my bow arm gets fatigued?? Does this make sense?

Thanks Terry for the suggestion, I am in between furnace runs so I am imagining what you are telling me to do. Anxious to apply your suggestion. Thank you!
Kevin Osworth

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
If you still have problems do a search on FormMaster. Rather simple set up and you can make one easially. Here is a link showing how they work.  http://www.texasarchery.org/Photos/Formaster/Formaster.htm

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
Second the Formaster,one of the best things since sliced bread.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
Push the drawing elbow, do not pull.  Push your elbow around and continue to push through the shot execution.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 04:10:00 AM »
Dont get too hung up on back tension.

Use a stretch sports band to learn back tension action and feeling then at the Bale with your Bow and build that feeling so it's second nature, it will feel very akward until you ingrain it into your subconscious, once you get to that stage everything will feel easy.

With Trad we tend to have higher draw weights and high anchor, back tension is hard (for me at least) to feel so dont worry too much about it as it will distract you from the real task of putting an arrow where you want.

I got a clicker for my Longbow from 3 Rivers a couple of weeks ago, I found it a great training tool to get to draw and extend through the clicker, relax and extend through the clicker, do that 4-5 times and come down, rest and start exercise again, think it's working my Scapula better than the Foremaster and it's cheaper than the Foremaster.

Offline Quinn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
Formaster.
"If you put the federal government in charge of the  Sahara Desert , in five years there'd be a shortage of sand."   ~ Milton Friedman

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
I have been practicing more back tension and I'm amazed how much better I'm shooting! I have always seen and heard it talked about, taught, and have used the back muscles more at times but forget about it after down times from shooting. When implementing this technique my releases are cleaner and shot placement seems magical. Sometimes on a good day seeing arrow after arrow go right to where I'm looking, the percentage of actual hits versus acceptable hits incredibly higher. Taking my time through the draw and holding to stabilize that extra 1/2 second, and pow! Right there!!!
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
There is a site here showing how to make a formaster. It is on page 4 sept 2nd.   :)
DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
Thanks to all! The suggestion that Terry has made on imagine that you are closing a door with your elbow has made a huge improvement. I am going to focus on this for now and then look into the formaster once I feel I have master the other.

I am amazed at how this forum has brought light to my shooting and the lack of discipline I had with form. What it has pointed out is that I had NO clue before. Sure, I could put a few arrows where I look from time to time but there eventually would be a break down. The break down is no longer acceptable to me, I need to get it right or move on to needle point! Thanks again for making these valuable lessons available.
Kevin Osworth

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
I've gained 1 1/2 inches in my draw after working on back tension.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
I agree!  Terry's description about shutting the door with your elbow is a nice way of describing back tension.  I have (just recently) found that if I can think about and feel back tension through the shot, I don't think about my release so much, and I think it helps me a little.  Thanks for the lesson!
ron
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline graybark uk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
i second the string clicker ... when im hunting or shooting my broadheads i try to touch my finger with the bottom blade (this does the sme job for me).gives me a pull through release without even thinking about it .
john
bowhunting isn`t a bloodsport. its in the blood

hoyt buffalo 55@28/ 56@28{border hex 6.5 limbs }
stalker coyote fxt 62" 52@28

Offline Del Savio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
I havs been shooting a recurve for many years.  I don't knowanybody who shoots traditional equipment and have only learned from trialand error.  Having just just begun to use a computer, I have learned more from these posts than years of shooting.  Thanks

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 03:52:00 AM »
Many tend to tense the arms and shoulders before the shot. Naturally, this will make the arms and shoulders take over. Instead, relax and start the draw by applying back tension, and the rest will follow. I did this yesterday after not having pulled the bow for some time, and the draw was  smooth and it was easy to hold at full draw.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline turkeyslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
From what i have found the best & easiest way for me to engage my back muscles is to start my draw before i bring my bow up,seems like when i draw after my bow is up,i put more arm/shoulder into it & then have to engage my back to finish the shot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©