Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Practice tips needed & appreciated  (Read 533 times)

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Practice tips needed & appreciated
« on: January 27, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Hey guys looking for a few ideas and some input on practice.  I have been shooting a recurve now for about 3 years and believe I have developed a pretty solid foundation.  That being said I constantly find my shooting style evolving and being tweeked as i learn. When I have flyers it is almost always to the left (I'm a righty) due to letting my bow arm fly out.  I have found myself lately shooting more like Larry Yien from MOTBB.  I concentrate more on my form than I do aiming I simply trust my eyes but make a concious effort to control my form. I started to experiment with this method when I was having a  problem not trusting my form and always checking on it through out my shot sequence.  Like Rod says in MOTBB you can't have two drivers trying to control things so I decided to conciously drive the sequence and not the aiming.
This brings me to my question is there any  specific drills to help develop a more solid bow arm?  I do a lot of bag work but mainly work on alignment and back tension. I feel my bow arm is the weak part of my shot.
Also, my shot sequence is very deliberate and i would say a little slow (I take my time to settle my anchors and create BT).  Any quick tips on speeding the process up for quick shots. If vids help I'll get them up tomorrow. Thanks Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Practice tips needed & appreciated
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
Do you shoot with a bent bow arm?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »
Get to a close distance( bale shooting), come to full draw and just look at where the arrow is on the shelf, then release and keep your eyes on shelf. This will help you concentrate on a steady bow arm and soon it will become second nature.- Steve

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »
Dave I shoot with my shooting arm locked out.
Stephen I will play with that some today.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 07:33:00 AM »
Put a slight bend in your arm so your arm can extend straight forward on the shot otherwise it will move left, striking left. (ie:Rick Welch)
US ARMY 1984-1988

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
Ditto what T Folts said.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
Although your question was about your bow arm, I found that another cause of my occasional left misses was that I wasn't keeping my string hand and forearm relaxed.  This isn't the easiest thing for me to do, and it's kind of hard for me to notice if my string hand and forearm are relaxed.  However, the result is clear, and nowadays when I see my arrow miss to the left, it is the first question I ask myself.  Usually, if I really focus on keeping my string hand and forearm relaxed, the next arrow hits close to the centerline of the target.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
i shoot to the left when i shoot lots of arrows. i find myself practicly reaching for another arrow before my shot arrow reaches the target. may not be your problem,just a thought.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©