Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: form issues please help  (Read 564 times)

Offline Chub

• Trad Bowhunter
form issues please help
« on: January 27, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
hi gang   im shooting trad 3 yrs .15months ago i got a new rec 55lbs i thought it was to heavy so i got a set of 45s thought that would fix it .thought roung! ok here is the problem .5-10ft from the bail i can get back back to anchor hold and execute the shot .any further than that i release anywhere from 2-4 inches from my face .normaly my hand gets anywhere near my face the arrow is gone . i know in my mind and tell myself draw to anchor and finish the shot. but i cant do it .have u ever gone threw this . help.advice.suggestions.ill take anything ! i dont want to go back to the training wheels.  :scared:

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: form issues please help
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
Hang in there, I am sure that help/suggestions are on the way. I have been at it for 6 years and still learning. This site is without question the place to get the correct answers. Be patient, it will come.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
Never heard of this one. Here is what I would do. You should be able to hold anchor for a good 5 sec before you start getting shakey. So just come to anchor and hold and let down. Make sure you at the further distance your having problems with and when you come to full draw do everything but release, I mean pick a spot etc.. Keep repeating untill you feel a solid anchor point. Are you using a deep hook(first crease)?

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 12:57:00 AM »
It's the jitters, I think.  It's feeling nervous about missing.  I'd agree with sdpeb1. Go back to a distance you're nervous at, draw the bow to anchor, hold, and let down.  This should train your mind that you have full control at that distance.

Another thing you can try is to shoot a perfect shot at a distance you're comfortable with.  Take 2 steps back and take another perfect shot.  Take another 2, then another 2, then another.  Here, you're allowing yourself to comfortably push your limits.
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline hcorrigall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 01:35:00 AM »
Im a relative new guy compared to others here-who cares if you miss as you are doing this for fun-RIGHT? If not why bother to do it. I always say that you cannot have a bad day when you shoot arrows-just enjoy that youre out there doing what you like most. Have fun and relax and keep trying to do the best you can.

BANNED

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 02:44:00 AM »
What you are suffering from is a form of target panic. When you are at a distance where missing isn't an option you can control your shot. Once you get further and the element of hitting the target is introduced you no longer command the shot. Sound about right? If I had to guess you probably shoot quickly to start and after going to the 55 pounder it probably started getting worse.

The thing you'll have to do is reprogram your brain to divorce aiming from shooting form. Right now your the aiming portion of the shot is controlling your form, irregardless of whether you're in the position to accurately execute the shot. I would start off by dropping down in draw weight to something that is so easy you can control it with no effort. Start close to the target and work on establishing a shot routine. Once you feel comfortable with that begin by stepping back. Close your eyes, draw your bow, and settle into an anchor point. When you can do this, open your eyes, focus on the target and fire the shot. This will help train your body to recognize the shot mechanics separate from aiming.

After you can do the previous drill you can begin to work on shooting at the target with your eyes open. Focus on going through the steps of drawing and hitting anchor before you fully focus on aiming and releasing. If you feel out of control or panicky... stop. Focus on only making clean, controlled shots.

I had a friend who had the same problem. No anchor to speak of, premature releases, no control. I helped him with the same drills and it was a rough road but he did gain control over the shot. Good luck.

Offline Chub

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
str8shooter thats exactily whats goin on .icant get to anchor and i let the string go!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
Yep...that's target panic....not my department.  "[dntthnk]"
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Lazy Ike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 03:40:00 PM »
I've been fighting this for a long time . These drills are good and ther are more listed on other target panic threads. If you want to be able to get imediate control there is only one thing that I know of ..... spend about 15 dollars on a limb mounted clicker.Read all the threads you can about the use of clickers.Get somebody to help you set it up so that you come to anchor and then just a bit more pulling and it clicks. When it clicks you will subconciously release. It is not a cure for target panic , but it will allow you to shoot as though you are cured . For most people , if you take it off the bow , your tp will return.
I keep working at shooting without the clicker. And I'm getting better and better , but if I were going to shoot a tourney tomorrow , I'd reconnect the clicker and know that I could shoot very well at any yardage I need to. Also , if you are a 3d shooter , The IBO changed the rules for 2010 to allow clickers in the recurve unaided class.
Best of luck with the battle....It's usually a long hard fight.

Ike

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
Chub,  You're not alone man.  Great advice in the above posts.  I went through pretty much the same thing a few years ago when I simulateously switched from my 45lb. recurve to a 62#longbow and tried Asbell's swing-draw style of shooting.  Neither was very conducive to ME consistently hitting an anchor.  My release became involuntary, and not in the good way!  You need to reboot the system and focus on the method of shooting, not the goal.  Follow the above advice, (clicker, blank-bale shooting, concentrating on the shot process) with no "aiming" whatsoever until it becomes so ingrained into your muscle memory that you "can't" short draw.  Then and only then do you start shooting at a target and only at very short range until you've gotten your confidence back.  And look at the positives, you now have a great opportunity to really revamp/improve your form (see Terry's form clock)and having gone through this you will be better prepared to diagnose shooting errors that may arise in the future.  Hang in there!
Mike
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©