Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Anchor Point  (Read 1195 times)

Offline mshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Anchor Point
« on: January 30, 2010, 12:02:00 AM »
I seem to struggle with a consistent anchor point.  I am now using the middle finger to the corner of the mouth.  Is this a good anchor or what would be a better anchor point for consistency.  By the way I am shooting split finger.
thanks

Offline Quinn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anchor Point
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 02:59:00 AM »
Middle finger to the corner of the mouth is a popular anchor point. Most people like a double anchor to ensure consistency of draw.
I use muddle finger to corner of mouth & thumb knuckle (closest to the hand) behind my jaw. Just be sure your head position is consistent as well, as it will change everything if it's not.
"If you put the federal government in charge of the  Sahara Desert , in five years there'd be a shortage of sand."   ~ Milton Friedman

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
Byron ferguson uses middle finger to his k-9 tooth. I do the same with good results. You can feel pressure on your k-9 tooth through your lip.

Offline mshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
Thanks guys.  I will try the thumb behind the the jaw as well.
thanks

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
Most people get it backwards, in my opinion.  They first pick an anchor and then learn to shoot the bow using that anchor.

In my opinion, and I believe Rod Jenkins's and Rick Welch's opinions, you should learn to draw the bow to full draw and then pick an anchor wherever your hand ends up at full draw.  Full draw is where your drawing forearm is in line with the arrow, viewed from above.  Many people are not able to come to full draw using a finger in the corner of the mouth, so they short-draw the bow, which is not good for accuracy or getting the most out of the bow.  For many people, an anchor using the thumb knuckle against the jawbone, or thumb knuckle touching the earlobe, is a better anchor because it allows them to come to full draw.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
I like to reach my anchor point,at the same time have good finger pressure on the string.Let your thumb end up where ever.Try the thumb behind the jaw first as it was suggested first.The best thing to know is to stick with what works for you.

Offline mshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
Thanks guys as soon as it dries out here I will get out and work on my form.  that is a good pint about the forearm, I never thought of it that way.  I am still trying to get comfortable not having wheels on my bow.  Thanks for all of the great insight.  I can use all of the help I can get.

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
Look for at least two anchor points. Try to make one some part that's not soft tissue, an upper tooth or cheek bone.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline badbadleroybrown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 01:48:00 AM »
I use the corner of my mouth as an anchor. I tried touching the string to my nose as a second anchor but I have given up on that. I couldn't get used to the different sight picture. I haven't tried to find another second anchor yet...mostly because I do not care for change.

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
McDave makes a couple good points. I used to use my middle finger in the corner of my mouth but found that to move too much. I also wasn't reaching my full draw length. First thing I did was focus on a full draw and then looked for an anchor. I still use my middle finger in the corner of my mouth but it is a secondary anchor. My main focus now is my index finger on the front edge of my cheek bone.

I tried the k9 tooth thing but just couldn't feel it with a glove on.

Good love.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
Try to feel your finger on your tooth.Try it one more time.

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
I strugled with my anchor for awhile as well. I now shoot like some above have said with my mid finger in the corner and my thumb nuckle behind my jaw. having the two major contact points is much easier for me to repeat without giving much thought. This anchor is the only one that I have been 100% comfortable with and consitant with. Mess around with having two spots that your touching and after you find the right two for you it will be easy to repeat.

Good Luck.
Levi Bedortha

Offline DGEsposito

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
I put my pointer finger on my cheek bone my middle finger in the corner of my mouth and my thumb on my jaw bone. If I get sloppy I will see shots go left and its because lack of comcentration and need to slow down.

Offline ren sarns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
I shoot 3 under and use my index finger tip to the corner of my mouth and thumb to my jaw bone.
WSAA/TBW/NFAA

NAVY MCPO - RETIRED

Offline canshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
Shot for almost a year using the finger on canine anchor but never felt comfortable. I noticed that when I shot quickly the anchor was coming back till my thumb touched my earlobe. I went with that and after a while realized that the cock feather was also touching my nose. (I shoot 3 under). Next thing I know I am reading that this is a method recommended by Rick Welch and I figure good enough for him is good enough for me.

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 02:54:00 AM »
I recently switched to a diagonal four fletch and the back of the top left feather touches nicely on the tip of my nose.

I definitely found an improvement by adding the fletch on nose anchor.  I also switched to canting the bow at the same time and the fletch on my nose puts my right eye directly over the arrow as well.

It's A&A fletch with the back exactly 1 inch in front of the bottom of the nock groove or the string.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
Through trial and ERROR over 3 years I ended up with exactly what McDave describes and boy what a difference.  Now I canc just relax and shoot.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »
A 'double anchor' is what brought my shooting full circle years ago.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
To me a double or triple anchor is definately a good thing. Not only has it resolved potential head position issues (up/down and left/right) but it also helps me double check my back tension and proper release.

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
I like to anchor with the thumb knuckle under/behind the jaw also, but the main thing for me is to make sure that my eye is in line with the arrow.  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©