Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: having a major problem and need help!  (Read 1075 times)

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
having a major problem and need help!
« on: February 07, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
i just started shooting 2 under.  by tshooting this way i can anchor very solid under my cheek bone with my thumb still with my middle finger in the corner of the mouth.  using back tension to pull through the clicker seems better as well and i feel like i shoot better this way.
here is the problem--the string nock is cutting my face bad.  i can shoot a few shots and i hve to quit cause i am pouring blood.  i thought the spot would toughen up eventually, but it is not.
i tried putting some felt padding over the nock to see if that would help and it did not.
i am now thinking about serving above and  below the nocking point and removing the brass nock all together to see if tahat will work.  then, i am still worried about the serving cutting my face.  what to do?

i know that 2 under is prety uncommon and i am sure that very few people shoot like that, but i like it so far, except for the cut place under my eye!  it does not really look good, if ya know what i mean.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: having a major problem and need help!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
I don't use metal nocks anymore, and make my nocks out of serving.  I think it makes a better nock anyway, and may help with your problem.

In "Become the Arrow," Byron Ferguson illustrates his way of making tied-on nocks.  He just ties a series of overhand knots, alternating the knots on the top and bottom of the string until he has enough to make the nock.  Rick Welch uses a method that produces a more finished looking nock.  He ties the same knot that is used at the very end of of the string serving to make the nock.  It is kind of a complicated knot, but if you know how to serve the bowstring, you'll figure it out.

Whatever knot you use, if you use a contrasting color of serving to tie the nock, it will be easier for you to see when you shoot the bow.

Both Byron and Rick say the knot can be adjusted by screwing it up and down the serving until you have it in the right location.  Then when you have it in the right location, you dab some superglue on it to hold it permanently in place.  Maybe you can screw it up and down the serving; I wouldn't want to contradict two of the best shots on the planet.  But I find it easier to just shoot with a metal nock (lightly crimped so it doesn't crush the serving) until I get the right location. Then I tie on the bottom nock, then I remove the metal nock, then I tie on the top nock.  Then if the fit is right, I dab on the superglue.

You can still cut off the tied-on nock without damaging the serving even after it has been superglued, if you change your mind and are careful about it.  I use a single-edge razor blade and cut parallel and just above the serving.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline longbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
I now shoot 3 under and just tie a nocking point on using serving thread. I like it much better than the metal.

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
i am scared that a tied on nock is still going to be in contact with my face and will do the same thing, even worse with the glue on it.  that is why i am thinking of serving above and below-like in this months tb mag--hopefully the amount of serving will not be in contact with my cheek as much as a metal nock.
it is a lot of work to do, but i dont know of any other way to do it and i am no expert server either.  i really dont know how to serve a string at all, just kinda go at it blindly.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
How thick is your glove or tab???
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
the 3 rivers dura glove.

i dont have this problem shooting 3 under.  crazy aint it!?  for some reason 2 under changes somethin

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
I had the same thing when I played with holding all the weight on my middle and ring finger with my index finger above the arrow, but mostly just on my face and not curled on the string.  I shot better that way, but got the bloody spot on the cheek.  I thought it was the brass nock, but I am not so sure it was not just the string.  I also get some face contact shooting 3 under, but it is light and I can control it.

If you don't use a glove you could try that.  The extra finger tip length will get the string off your face more.  

Also try and give up the finger in the corner of the mouth.  For my face structure that is a short draw without my arm in line with the arrow, or I have to turn my face and hit it with the string.  See if you can lock your thumb knuckle back of your jaw under your ear with your index finger up under you cheek bone or on the ride of the bone.  Then you can rotate your head more forward.  You may even get a longer draw out of it.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by fountain:
the 3 rivers dura glove.

i dont have this problem shooting 3 under.  crazy aint it!?  for some reason 2 under changes somethin
What two fingers are you using?
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
Yes. The 3rd finger may be keeping the string nock just off your face.

How thick is your glove???
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
The corner of your mouth? Is that with a set of puckered lips,a grimmaced expression,or a smile? Byron Ferguson uses his middle finger on his K-9 tooth. You can feel your tooth through your lips.I use this method and it works well for me.

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
serving above and below the nocking point was a bust.  after learning how to serve thanks to youtube, i sat down and tied it on.  with the first shot came the blood.  hopes went down and temper soared high!
not sure where to go now.  i am going 3 under again tomorrow and play with my anchor 2 under as well.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
What two fingers are you using?  Are you just keeping your index pointed or are you keeping your ring finger off the string?

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
index and middle finger with ring finger now off the string.
i really need some video or pics of it i think to see what is goin on.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
Video would help.  What exactly is your anchor both ways?  Is it exactly the same anchor and you just don't use the ring finger?

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS USE METAL NOCK PTS.

Offline stickmanfrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
Some of the points made resonate with me.  I had switched a couple years ago to a higher anchor - right under my cheekbone, up closer to my eye. Still split finger but I was whacking my nose with the string.  It does get nasty.  Found out I was straining to draw and kind of turning my face into the bow just enough that when I released, with the string flipping inward off my tab, it was whacking my face/nose big time.  If you are "straining" at all with a two finger draw, you might be turning your face in a bit.  I had used both brass and serving string nocks - and didn't matter what was on there - when I turned my face in it got whacked. Ya kinda get tired of people askin at work, "What happened to your face?".  Good Luck!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian."

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
Stickmanfrick has a good point.Maybe try a bow of lesser poundage.Please try the advice of putting your middle finger on your k-9 tooth.If you can't feel your tooth with your finger,then try to feel your finger with your tooth.I use this method with good results.It gets your string in front of your face.

Online Stagmitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
Its one of two things or a combo of both...

1) Lower your head and move it to the left (As FAR as you can) while staring as directly as possible to the target.

2) Your string hand should be "vertical" to the face. If its rolled out( pointer finger goes into the face middle finger goes away from the face) youll torque the string causing your eyebrow piercing. :)
Stagmitis

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
If your shooting right handed,is it possible that your left eye dominate? Or vice versa. Just a thought.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
try putting a Bandaid on your face where it is hitting
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©