Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Keep hitting left (WHY)  (Read 924 times)

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
Keep hitting left (WHY)
« on: February 12, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
I am shooting a Hoyt Gamemaster II 50@ 28.  I am shooting a 30" Easton Legacy 2016 arrow with 175 grain tips. 7.5" brace. Flipper rest.
 I shot an indoor 3D shoot tonight,  and the arrows seem to be flying good but they were all impacting about 6-8 inches left of where I was looking to hit.  I am very new to this and not sure what to do. I do not want to make things worse. Please help

By the way had a blast shooting tonight.

Offline Predator Man

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Keep hitting left (WHY)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
What is your draw length. If its 27 or longer your arrows are to weak.  This is my opinion. If you really want to know your either going to have to try some different spines or post a video of yourself shooting, or give us a ton more details.
AcsCX 1pc 66" 47@28 Bocote
Predator  60" 52@28 Leopard/Shedua
Super diablo 50@28 bubinga/purple
Predator Riser phenolic/maple - cant decide on limbs yet.

Offline Jim Curlee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
Your errors are too stiff.
Jim

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
Very confused now. One says I am to weak  and one says that I am to stiff.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »
First to answer the question we need to know if you are right or left handed.

If you are right handed it sounds like they are stiff if you are left handed they sound week.

Right handed shooter: arrow inpacting left stiff, arrow impacting right week

Opposite for a left handed shooter.

This is all assuming that you are doing everything right behind the bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 11:26:00 PM »
If you are right handed, arrows to the left usually means a shaft that is too stiff. Your setup sounds fine if you draw 28".

If you are truly getting good flight, you may not be getting your eye over your arrow. Do you cant the bow? If so, make sure you cant your head at the same angle. Are you shooting split or 3 under? Shooting split can exacerbate this problem. With 3 under, the arrow is closer to your eye, so it is easier to keep your eye over the arrow. That is not to say you need to switch from one to the other. Just be aware your form could be the problem.

Another problem could be cross-dominance. If you are right handed, but left eye dominant, your left eye can try to take over. It may appear you are not shooting where you are looking, but if your left eye is looking over the tip of the arrow at the target, your arrow will be going where it is pointed rather than where you think it should.

Bottom line, before you chase demons in your equipment, make sure it is not a form issue.

Hope this helps.

Russ
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I am right handed.  What you said about my head not being the same may be my number one problem.  Also can I do any adjustments to my rest to help with the problem.  I know for sure that it is not an eye dominance issue.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
   I am very new to this  and not sure what to do. I do not want to make things worse. Please help
[/QB]
It could all be your form with nothing wrong with your setup.  If you have some others that shoot trad shooting with you have them help
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
If you are right handed Jim Curlee is correct your arrows are too stiff. A rightie with arrows going left is shooting arrows that are too stiff. Assuming you are a rightie, can you increase tip weight? Lower brace a small amount? Push with your bow hand-thereby increasing drawlength?

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 11:37:00 PM »
Also if you have any room in your fliper rest to move it closer to the riser might also help to.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
That arrow does not sound stiff outta that bow. Should be weak if anything with that kinda point weight.
I don't how far you are drawing, that is a huge factor.

As it stands, can you move your rest in about a 1/16 or maybe 1/8 in?

Offline hawk4570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
Make sure you are not moving your bow arm until the arrow hits the target. I had a hard time with dropping my bow arm and I was hitting to the left until I overcame this.
bill browning

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
If your shooting right handed your arrows are too STIFF.. RH archer with finished arrows hitting left of the target are too stiff.

Easy to fix-- add point weight and/or shoot a longer arrow.  The 50 or 100 grain brass weight inserts are money well spent.. I have been able to get perfect arrow flight using them.  Accept nothing less than perfect flight..
Good shooting...

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline raideranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 01:58:00 AM »
stiff

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 02:12:00 AM »
If you shoot right hand and hitting left, then check if your arm holding the bow is straight(stretched) if so that could also make you hit left because the energy in the bow has to go somewhere and you might solve some of the hitting left by having a slight bend in your arm so the bow can "jump" forward and not to left or right. Another thing I have noticed is if my arrows are way to weak is hitting left(I`m a right hand shooter)
Also check your stance, you might also try to put the right leg slightly more to the left for having a more closed stance.
Try it and you might have a solution   :thumbsup:  

best of luck

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 02:42:00 AM »
The only time I had this happen was when I went from a recurve that was "cut past center" to a longbow that was "cut at center" making the shelf a bit to the left of what I was use to.

Now if I pick up a recurve, I shoot to the right LOL.

Good luck,

Paul
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 04:01:00 AM »
He said he was new at this, could also be head alignment and anchor. I have seen a lot of newbies shoot with the bow straight up and turn their head away from the arrow, add a floating anchor and the arrow goes off to the left every time.  I would try tilting the head and the bow shoot spit finger and make sure the eye is over the arrow first.  When you are sure of your alignment and form then you can tell better if your arrows are flying good. Out of that bow the 2016 should be close and your setup should be tuneable, provided your form is consistent.

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
Lot of good information.  I have got alot to work on.  Thanks

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
what Blacktailbowhunter said.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline Whump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
Whump Sez: here is an easy way to tell--weak or stiff.  Remove the point from the arrow completely and step back about 15 or 20 yds and shoot the target butt.  Your arrow will make a good change in the point of impact so you will know which way you need to go on point weight. Also it may not be spine but you could be torquing the riser. I had a long bow one time that would throw a shot 2 feet to the left[right handed shooter] if you gripped the riser tight. Make sure your knocks are not too tight on the string, don't choke the bow and remember---extreme point weight changes can tell you volumes about your spine situation. Hunt Safe

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©