Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: thumb pointed at/towards target- Rod Jenkins  (Read 560 times)

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
thumb pointed at/towards target- Rod Jenkins
« on: February 16, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
I have watched MBB3 over and over and it has helped me in many ways. I love the style of Rod and try to point my thumb at the target, but it seems to point my bow shoulder off to the right(lefty) and I get string slap on my forearm. If I get my shoulder back around and turn my elbow out to reduce the slap...then my thumb is pointing off to the left. Anybody have the same problem or any stance/alignment changes I could try??

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: thumb pointed at/towards target- Rod Jenkins
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 01:25:00 AM »
Glad your benefiting for MBB3!

Rotating the knuckles of your bow hand to approximately 45 degree's should give you string clearance.

BTW my thumb point at target, isn't really pointing at the target, per say and is the result of years of shooting with a finger sling in my youth and a very relaxed bow hand.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
Rod my venture into Recurve shooting I started using a finger sling and did notice an improvement in my groups, it at least stops me being lazy as it keeps you pushing into the target, feels kinda strange after shooting Longbow all those years, good FUN and enjoying the learning experience.

Will go back to Longbow and woodies once all the targets have defrosted and stopped killing the spine on my woodies.

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
Steve, I've been having an itch to shoot 1 pc LB's and wood arrows again...may even shoot primitive bows a little.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
Thanks Rod, I guess like you said...blank bale and just see what works best.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 02:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by SHOOTO8S:
Steve, I've been having an itch to shoot 1 pc LB's and wood arrows again...may even shoot primitive bows a little.
Rod hope we get to fling some arrows together one day    :D

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 05:14:00 AM »
i can shoot with my thumb pointed at target when shooting my 'curves but with the fuller straight grip of my Longbows its kinda difficult . i'm getting some woodies set up at the moment for FITA ... and past 25 yards ...geez don't my groups open up !!!
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
thanks for the input guys, my brother sent me a pic of someone,(I think it is Guru), and I have been working with that visual, and making some improvement.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
Not to be wise, but arn't you better off pointing the arrow at the target.  For a right handed shooter, I point my thumb at the target and the arrow is gonna hit a foot and a half to the left at 20.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
Bowmania, I'm a slooowwww typer, so I tend to leave out a lot of important info. I was trying to paint a picture of aligning the thumb in a manner like our shoulders are supposed to be with the target, also I watched Rod shooting and it makes sense to try and have everything lined up towards the target, but not straight at the bull-eye...trying to do this and shooting pretty good, but wearing my forearm out. I have started tucking 3 fingers on my grip and trying to have my nuckles form a 45 degree off the grip. Used to point my finger at the target...like Fred G., but my thumb would point off to the side....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©