Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Question for folks employing the Rick Welch system  (Read 424 times)

Offline IndianCreek

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for folks employing the Rick Welch system
« on: February 16, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
I went to Rick's school a few weeks ago and have been very happy with the results. My question is for other RW shooters. When you extend your thumb for the earlobe anchor how much tension are you using and how far out do you cock your thumb. Ive been playing with different ways of keeping this consistent and was wondering how others are doing it. Thanks for any info

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for folks employing the Rick Welch system
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
I try to keep the tension in the thumb joint down to a minimum as I cock my thumb.  Probably the most important thing is to keep the drawing hand and forearm relaxed, and that is more difficult to do if there is tension in my thumb.  So I would say that I don't cock my thumb up very much.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline IndianCreek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
Mcdave, Thank you for the reply sir. I think I should stop thinking so much. When I was with Rick I did not have to make a conscious effort on my thumb tension which makes me believe that my drawing hand was much more relaxed as you mentioned. Best regards

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
You make a good point, Kirby.  When I was with Rick, I shot better than I ever have before or since.  Ever since I attended his class, I've been trying to recreate the magic of just drawing back the bow and having the arrow go exactly where I want it to go.  Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, but I guess that's what makes life interesting.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©