Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: How many hit your arm with the string?  (Read 830 times)

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
How many hit your arm with the string?
« on: February 18, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
Hey guys...I have tried heavily to follow the model and the shooting videos to keep the gaps and everything straight; but I cannot get past the fact that if I keep everything tight and the string hits my arm...I shoot much better!!  Does anyone else hit their arm with the string REGULARLY?
stick_string

GEN 27:3 (its in the BIBLE!!)

Ember Longbow and Brack Drifter

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many hit your arm with the string?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
Nope. I only use an armguard when wearing a heavy coat.
Chuck

Offline Rabob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
Nope...I've shot recurves for 49 years both left and right handed,never did.
                                Regards,Ray

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
I'm pretty regular at hitting my arm lightly.

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
Funny thing...I didn't in the beginning, but now I hit it all the time...still working on finding out which one of the many form changes I've made, that might be causing this. Rod Jenkins just answered a post of mine that kinda asked the same thing...try and grip the bow in such a way that your knuckles are at a 45 degree angle, good luck.

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
I do most of the time,just a bit of a zing,nothing big.
When I'm hunting and wearing my usual jacket I just open my stance a little to compensate for it.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
Nope, the string never has hit my bow arm upon release........well......except the ONE TIME that I had a wooden flu-flu disintigrate when I turned her loose.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
I hit it hard one time when the knock broke.  Wish I was wearing he arm guard then.  

I find I start hitting my arm more and more when my string stretches and my Brace height is off.  I will be painting my arrows to have a quick reference so That I dont have to measure all the time.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
Not with a curve, but with a long bow a little sometimes.  Even with a hybrid LB I can do it.  I don't understand that given the grip is like a curve and the brace height is up higher.  I was shooting at the Kzoo expo and had it with a couple LB’s like the A&H and med grip Morison.  I shot without an arm guard and never had a problem with the curves I shot.  

I didn't think I was with my MOAB shooting this winter in a heavy shirt with a vest, but the other day I was in a real light long sleeve shirt after work when it was a little above freezing.  I took of my coat when I got home and shoot for about 15-20 minutes by the barn before heading in, and I found I was getting a real light contact on the shot.  A tighter grip fixed it as did more bow arm bend, but I don’t like to grip hard or give up draw length.  I have found release can be a problem sometimes.  If you pluck or even shoot more off the tips of the fingers without a deep hook you can cause the string to get some side to side movement and hit if you shoot a fairly straight bow arm.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
I tend to hit my arm regularly and tend to shoot better when I do.  Maybe I am doing something wrong and thats why, not sure, but ya I have to wear an arm guard.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
I don't with my recurve but I do with my long bow.

Offline woodsman 365

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
I hit my arm lightly and do sometimes end up with a small bruise.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
No, I don't have any trouble with hitting my arm. I wear one to hold my clothes in, but I'm thinking about trying the rubber band thing for that! Jason

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
If I do everything right, I won't hit my arm.  I wear an armguard:  1. it keeps my sleeve out of the way, and 2.  I don't always do everything right.  Bill

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
The better your alignment (a the classical sence) the more likely you are to sap your arm.
You can control most of it by either changing your grip to the Howard Hill style of coming in slightly from the side,or by opening your stance a little.
I have a slightly beyond closed stance for most shooting situations,but If I want to clear my jacket arm,all I do is put my back foot around 6" further forward of where it would normaly be.
This opens the stance and as a result my bow string clears my arm more.
Open or closed,think of it like a door but base it on your back foot,square an the door is closed,slightly forward an the door is slightly open.
My usual stance,the back foot is behind the line of my front foot,,,slammed through the door frame ;^)
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline MercilessMing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
If I cant my bow too much the string tends to hit my armguard.  Usuaually move the bow a bit more vertical can solve my problem at them.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
I use to hit mine some with a recurve or a longbow. Then a older guy told me to turn my feet toward the target instead of standing sideways. Worked for me!!
PBS  Member

Offline PhilNY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
When I shot target indoor 300 rounds as a kid I always hit my arm gard so I used talc on the gard and a monofiliment serving and it did not hamper my shooting at all.Later on I held my chest in and front shoulder down when drawing and that combined with an open stance and arm rotation has kept me for some time from slapping the gard with the string. If you are shooting good groups and it doenst make too much noise for hunting then I dont think it really matters.

Offline longbow55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
Shooting my black widow longbow yes, shooting my shrew longbow, most the time, no. The grip makes a difference I guess.
I always hit where I'm aiming, but rarely where I'm looking.

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
I never used to use one at all with any bow.  I only shoot long bows, now, and since I have refined my form to get better shoulder alignment I find that I get a little bite from the string if I shoot wearing a short sleeve shirt.  I always use an armguard just to keep jacket sleeves from possibly interfering with the path of the string.  I don't ever notice any noise associated with it, though.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©