Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: sooo many questions!!!  (Read 402 times)

Offline rm2

• Trad Bowhunter
sooo many questions!!!
« on: February 20, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
Hey, would appreciate any help that you all here might be able to give me.  I have been checking out the site for awhile and really enjoy the members posts.  
I have been working my way into traditional archery for a few years now.  i own a pse impala and my dream bow, a bear montana longbow.  I have only been shooting the longbow since this past summer. I am really struggling to have alot of consistency though.  I have a 29 inch draw to the corner of my mouth and my bow pulls 50# at 28.  I have been shooting 2016 and 2018 arrows.  I have experimented with 125 gr and 145 gr field points.  I know it mostly has to do with my form i think.  Sometimes i can hit my target dead on, a small piece of paper on a all black foam target, but after a few arrows either size arrow goes any where, then the next two will be right there on target.  So mostly, until i get my form repeatable and steady, what is the best alluminum arrow and field point to use?  I also found that if i pull farther back than my mouth the bow feels lighter or i feel stronger, but i can't find a good place to anchor and my face feels far away from the shaft itself.  I took my pse impala out last night just for fun and to my great annoyance it was grouping my arrows so much more consistent.  It was much more consistent than my longbow.  Sorry this is sooo long but i love shooting my longbow i just would like alot more out of it.  i shoot 3 to 4 days a week.  When my arrows seem to just get wider and wider apart i quit.  I almost exsclusively shoot at ten yards right now.  I could group almost all my arrows in a paper plate out to probably 20 yards, i just want more.  Thanks for any advise you can give me.  I appreciate it.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: sooo many questions!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
I don't know the center cut of that bow or the length of your arrow, but I would think one of the two with some point changes and brace adjustment would work out.

How does your arrow fly?  Not how accurate are you, but how does the arrow fly?  Do you see kick or wobble?  Have you tried bare shafting?

For a longer draw try your thumb nickel in the back you your jaw under you ear lob.  they use you index finger on an eye tooth base or like me under the cheek bone.   I can't anchor into the corner of my mouth or my draw is too short, my string arm is not in line with the arrow, and I pluck with my hand flying out from my face.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline rm2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: sooo many questions!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 04:56:00 PM »
Thank you for the reply xtrema312, my arrows fly well, either of them.  With the 145 grain heads i notice occasionally there is a little kick before landing, but they almost always land straight on.  i have not tried bare shafting though.  Perhaps your right, i should keep trying to pull farther and find a new anchor.  I am really trying to get that forearm in line with the arrow.  it is so addictive!  I hate getting tired and having to quit practicing.  I think the Longbow is advertized as center shot but io do not believe it really is.  Is the recurve just naturally more forgiving of a bow?  Do you have any recommendations for point changes?  I am trying varying lengths of arrows to see which is more consistent, starting to get a better idea of which ones.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©