Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Trying a Tab - Any Tips?  (Read 966 times)

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Trying a Tab - Any Tips?
« on: February 21, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
Well, I wasn't very happy with my shooting last year and I am using my time during the off-season to regroup.  I have a target set up in my basement that is 9 yards away and I've been working on a number of elements of my shot sequence.  In addition, I am trying a tab instead of a glove.

Honestly, the tab feels kind of awkward at this stage, but I have to admit that the release itself is smoother.  One of the challenges I am experiencing is trying to find a new place to anchor.  With my glove, I always hit the back of my canine tooth, but I can not hit that spot with the tab because of the position of my fingers relative to the end of the tab.

Where do you tab shooters anchor?  Any tips from those who have switched from a glove to a tab?

Thanks.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trying a Tab - Any Tips?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
First of all, I always give new tabs a rub of either Montana Pitch blend or Gilberts shoe grease to soften them up, neetsfoot oil would work too. I anchor my middle finger at the corner of my mouth and then pull though the shot until the feather hits my nose (cock feather in). That way I have a constant release point..PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
Thumb knuckle locked in the back of the jaw.  That sets draw length and anchor for the most part.  The only thing left is head up and down angle.  I use the index finger under the cheek bone for that.  I lock the thumb in and then just drop the head down until it sets solid on the index finger.  On release I want that index finger to drop and run right under the cheek bone and under the ear lob.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
Claudia,
I took a tip from Dave Bulla & cut my tab down till I've got about 3/8" of my finger tips showing when I put my fingers around the string. That way, you can make contact with your anchor & still protect your fingers. Pick up an inexpensive tab & use some scissors. Follow the outline of the tab & be sure to put some extra depth in the slot. You won't be as concerned about cutting up an inexpensive tab. When you get it where you like, cut your good tab. Hope this helps you as much as it helped me.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
I am in the process of switching to a tab.I have been shooting in my garage due to the weather and only have about a 5 yard shot at a slightly downward angle.One thing I have noticed is that the lower half to lower third of my right ring finger pad is taking a beating.Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
Bear Grizzly 58"        38 lbs@29"
Black Widow PCH III 60" 44 lb@29"
Black Widow PLX 62"     45 lb@28"
Kentuckian Flatbow  60" 55 lb@28"

Offline poison arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
I shoot tab and glove. The tab is not as quick as the glove for nocking arrows in a quick manner but the release with the tab just feels better. Depending but I usually anchor at the corner of my mouth or end of my mustash. I have been so frightened about getting the long curling handlebar part of my mustash caught in the string I finnaly cut them off recently. I never did get it caught but it worried me to the point I sacrificed them. The finger holes in most purchased tabs are the same size. The diference is the lenght of the leather that covers them. I found that a smaller one is what worked for me as I could feel the tips of my fingers touching my mustash and face. I would make it smaller like Butch said so you can feel for your anchor point.

Offline stickmanfrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
Give it time.  Takes a while.  I tried a lot of different tabs.  The advice on cutting down the tab is spot on - otherwise the tab hangs on the bow string too long and you can't anchor correctly.  My favorite tabs are the Kant Pinch  Finger Tab with the Calfhair Face and Calfskin Back. The separator helps prevent pinching, and the calfhair makes for a real slick release.  For my lighter poundage bows I like the Vista Mega II Tab with a soft spacer and felt backing.  You can really feel the string with these tabs, and they don't "take a set" like a cordovan tab.  Good Luck!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian."

Online azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
I am like stickmanfrick. I tried just about every tab including cordovan and could feel the string, feel my anchor point and get a much better release with a calfhair tab. The Neet tab to me was the best. It does wear out quicker than say a cordovan, but it made a big difference in my shooting. It is very pliable and really get a good feel with it. No break in time needed. Has a finger separator as well which helps. It was interesting to me how much difference I shot when using different tabs. I anchor with my middle finger in the corner of my mouth. Good luck.

Offline cashhere

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 01:20:00 AM »
Junglecat was referring to the beating on this ring finger. I have had the same issue. I do not feel I am torquing the string, I know this can be a sign of that. Is there something else that may be causing the ring finger pain??

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 01:42:00 AM »
I like the Blackwidow tabs because they have a raised back section to place the string against the same with every shot.
Any tab that gives you a solid locator so you pick the string up the same each time "has to be good.
Theirs heaps of others with this type of design but the Widows are about the cheapest.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »
This information/advice is great...Thank You to Everyone! I was out of town yesterday, so didn't get a chance to shoot.  I'll try some of the suggestions made here tonight when I get home and report back.  Stay tuned...

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline cgeiser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
I'm a fairly new shooter, at it for 1 1/2 years. But I have only used a tab and recently found a major preference. I lost my tab that had a rubber block that would help keep my index and middle fingers separated where the nock is. Going to a tab without this block of rubber I now find that I have finger pinch and the nock actually begins to hurt my fingers where they are pinched around it. Good luck!

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
I like Black Widow tabs as well, excellent consistency and last quite a while.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
I used a tab for my first 28 years of archery (1969-1977) recurves and then compounds. Then switched to release aid (compound). Been shooting recurve off and on again since 2001, serious for two months. I love the glove (very soft fingered glove -- Damascus-type) and would never shoot the tab again. Too uncomfortable and causes too much "rolling" of the bowstring. I tested a tab for for a manufacturer who wanted kids to use it. I couldn't believe the difference (poor) in arrow flight with the tab compared to the glove. If you use a tab, those who have suggested you trim them and how are right on -- a poorly fit tab will be uncomfortable and even hurt to use. A poorly fit tab won't allow a firm feel of the index finger tip at the corner of the "smile". Be careful about taking the anchor past the corner of the mouth. If you overdraw (like most of us have or do) you'll never be able to experience proper back motion to execute the shot.

I hate to suggest but I'm' sure your issue would be better solved by revisiting the shooting process over the equipment.  

There is a program that has trained 16,000 teachers and 5.2 million kids over the past 8 years. A very successful coach of Olympic archers developed a DVD for this program and it is for sale at  www.nasparchery.com    It will make almost everyone a better archer. Some who have used it won't even tell their buddies about it!  I'm not trying to sell you the DVD. I wish I would have known what it teaches my first 35 years of shooting a bow!

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I've had a busy week at work and have only shot intermittently as a result.  Thankfully, I can get some time in at my practice block this weekend.
I should have clarified that I shoot three-under.  I got a new tab this week and the fit is much better...very easy to find my anchor, as my fingertips are slightly exposed at the end of the tab.  Now for the next challenge...I seem to be hitting myself in the mouth with the tab as I release (that's quite an experience  :eek: !).  My guess is that this is a consequence of a form issue and has little to do with the tab itself.  In fact, I think inadequate back tension could be the culprit.  If I am correct, why would this form problem be revelaed with the tab but not the glove?  Any thoughts?

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
Claudia, I'd suggest the bateman 3 under cordovan tab for your style, I love mine and they last a Long time.
When you say your hitting yourself in the mouth, are you talking about the ends of the tab hitting you in the mouth as you uncurl your fingers? if so, it's because your tab needs trimmed on the ends (it's too long) or, Your not addressing the string the same way as when you use your glove ie. maybe your curling your fingers around the string more or getting a deeper hook than you did with your glove, or your turning your head more into the string.
Here are a couple web sites that carry the bateman tab, you will probably need a size (small)...
   http://www.3riversarchery.com/Armguards+Gloves+Tabs++3-Fingers+Under+Cordovan+Tab_c1_s81_p0_iTC3X_product.html  

http://www.ewbateman.com/FingerTabs.htm  
Cat. No. 3TABC

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
Claudia, what Butch Speer said! Try trimming the tab down gradually, you will be surprised how much of the last digit of your fingers will be exposed past the tab without discomfort. I have ended up cutting mine out of a THIN leather sheet from Hobby Lobby, Tandy Leather Co. etc.. I have found with this set-up (confirmed on a chronograph)an amazingly consistent release very easily felt and shot.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
Are you hitting your mouth with the tab, your fingers, or the string?  If you have a nice limp hand release you will not do anything to your face unless it is when the fingers open and the tab rubs your face, but even then I would suspect the string is coming off the ends of the fingers or tab and hitting your face.  If the tab is at your finger tips or less when on the string you shouldn't hit your face with it on release.  With a glove you get the string a lot farther from the face.  Move it way in, and you can get your face in different places with the string depending on your build.  For me it was the cheek.  I thought when I had the problem that it was my finger nail.  I had to work on turning my head more forward.  That fixed it.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
For those who have a problem with roughing up the bottom of your ring finger read my post on this thread.  After some changes to my release I was getting the same thing.  This little change has cleared it right up from what I can tell and I am not having any return of my old problem.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=005149;p=2

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
I ordered two Bateman tabs from 3R last week and have been shooting with one for the last couple of days.  Today's shooting session was particulalry good as I am begining to feel more comfortable with the tab and have managed to eliminate the problem of whacking my mouth (thank goodness!).
The Bateman tab has made a huge difference.  With my fingertips extending beyond the end, this tab feels a lot more natural.  I think that by the time I shoot another 100 arrows, I may wonder why I haven't been using a tab all along.  One thing is for sure, the tab release is so smooth and clean, it's hard to imagine going back to my glove.
Thanks for all of the help, guys.  I appreciate you!

Claudia
Pinecone

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©