Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Becoming the best Archer that you can be.  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Becoming the best Archer that you can be.
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 01:20:00 AM »
Fred wasn't a snap shooter,,he simply shot fast.
I think there's a big difference.
Snap shooting,the fualt,,fast shooting but in control,,big difference.
I practice shooting fast,,but I'm not that good at it.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 07:40:00 AM »
Kassai Lajos is the best speed shooter in the world for combined speed and accuracy.

I remember watching video clips of his horse school in Hungary, rows of archers practicing draw and release (no Bow in hand) it reminded me of my martial arts school, to shoot with Kassai's skill takes practiced discipline, most of the snap shooters I've met in Field\\3D tourneys just dont understand the concept and it's just ugly to watch.

Offline 52Mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
Please let us not get off the topic hear. We are trying to have a form that helps archers improve there shooting skills or are wanting to try something new.  When Trad Gang members say they snap shoot we can believe that it is by choice. Dennis Kamstra,Dennis Behn,Kiko Tovar, Chris Hill, Paul Schafer and Bob Savage are some of the great ones that I have had the pleasure to shoot and hunt with. CCH suggested a clicker I agree a excellent  tool to help the archer who wants to come to full draw and then get into his back tension to explode through the shot. Black hawk used one for six weeks then took it off and out shot the seven guys in our group. Three Rivers sells a good one.

Offline 52Mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
CCH I like that pulling the arrow back until the feather it hits your noise. At least you know that you came to full draw.

Offline 52Mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
If you ever double post or in my case triple post you can edit the post by clicking on the PAPER and Pencil  Icon, It will take you to a edit square and you can edit and repost. Wow I learn something every day. Thanks Blackhawk.

Offline 52Mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
Please let us try to keep this forum to aid our fellow archers to improve there shooting skills. CCH is right on with that clicker aid. The clicker makes you come back to full draw and use your back  tension to pull through the shot. Blackhawk used one for 6 weeks last spring then he took it off and out shot all of the seven archers in our group the following weekend. Three Rivers Archery sells a good one.

Offline rpembert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
I shoot about 200 to 300 arrows every day or every other day. Life has to come in there somewhere. I will shoot about 150 or so in the morning and then the rest in the afternoon. Keeps me in good shape and is quiet fun. I try to get the wife involved but she out shots me sometimes! I have to tell her that!! hehe

Joshua

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
Another way to shoot like you are using a clicker is to set up you feathers to be about a 1/4" from your nose when you get to anchor and slowly increase tension in your back and when the feather touches your nose release. Joel Turner has been using this method for a few years now and is an amazing shot. It is legal in all shoots unlike the clicker. Some  people have a way of getting stuck at anchor when shooting clickers and are not able to make it click. Joel has a way to help that. He says something like "KEEP PULLING" over and over in his head until the click. This will keep your brain controlling your muscles and it helps with anxiety and will help when the pressure is on.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
I've been using the string on eyebrow, it just touches and I learnt to increase pull to a certain pressure which is my virtual clicker, I was able to shoot some great IFAA National and European Field\\Hunter records using this method during 2009, plus a Fita 3D world and IFAA European Field title.

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
Well I broke down and put the clicker on my bow.  I made a decision to give it a try through the summer to see if I can improve my shooting. I dropped down to a 40# bow. My groups yesterday are about 3 times the size of normal. I am going to shoot with Joel today and see if he can give me some pointers.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
I keep notes.  I shoot everyday or most of them.  150 arrows is common in a day.  I did 400 or so yesterday.  Ice pack time. I shot in 20 deg. days a lot this winter out doors.  When It got too bad I shot in the barn short distance and just worked on release.  Right now I am working even more on getting rid of more string arm tension, release, and consistent draw length.  I find that I overdraw a little and that messes with my release.  I put white tape on my arrows at the correct draw just to have a visual reference in my vision to help with proper release time.  I also find I can feel it catch the rest on my calf hair.  It is like a clicker, but I don't have anything stuck to my bow.  Iam also playing with different finger pressures and with the sting in my eyebrow.  Taking more notes.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline 52Mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
Picked up a new dozen 2016 this weekend. I shoot with 4- 5 inch feathers. About  1/2 way through my session I was really hitting the spot  . What I found out was that when I anchored very tight  (hard )  to my face my mind liked that,  then I concentrate   on the spot and the shot would happen by it self. I looked back at my notes and three times last year I made a note that I was stacking my arrows in the middle of the target when I anchored hard against my face.

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
That's great Steve. I had a lesson with Joel the other day and I am rebuilding my entire shot. We changed my stance to a more upright style instead of hunching. I am able to pull through the clicker more easily and I picked up two inches in draw. My groups are not quite as good as I would like but I am learning. I will shoot with the clicker probably until after Moses Lake and then transition to the feather to nose technique. Then I can start adding weight and get back to shooting mid 50's.

Offline 52Mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2010, 03:18:00 AM »
I just have to give a thank you to ( xtrema 312 ). I am doing a bible study talk 3/24/10 for AWANA kids age 5 to 8. Was going to read them the story in 1 st Samuel 20 18 to 23 about David and Jonathan shooting arrows, now I can add Genesis 21/20.
Thanks Todd

Offline deathwind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Steve, It's great seeing you post on here. I've been working on several of the things that you and Chris have been suggesting. Keep these posts coming.  

Thanks,
Bill Mason

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
I have had 3 or 4 sessions with Joel and the only thing I'm not consistent at is judging yardage. He said once that all comes together I will be fine...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2010, 08:36:00 AM »
Been shooting with the clicker for a week now and I am starting to group arrows again. I shortened my draw a little from the 30+ inch down to 29 and some change. This has made it easier to get through the clicker with out have to feel like I am stretching. I no longer have the need to release when my sight picture looks right. I will probably try the heavier limbs in another week and go with the feather touching my nose for the clicker. I just have to keep telling myself to "Keep Pulling" as I am at full draw. This really helps take the stress out of the shot.

Offline 52Mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
I had a great day shooting the last two days. What I did was I paid attention to the reaction of my bow after the shot. That is I watched were my site window and bow hand went upon the release of the arrow. If you do this about 6 to 10 times it will give you a better understanding of what the total great shot will feel like. Also by checking your bows reaction after the shot this will help you to not drop your bow arm. Howard Hill once wrote. ( At the time of the shot nothing happens.) Note: When you are checking this out you should not care were your arrows are hitting. You are trying to learn about what a good shot feels like.

Offline Dawnpatrol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
For me the most important thing I can do to improve my shooting is to have fun shooting. It's like being a kid, they learn to perform in sports by playing and as a result they get better. For me I have to remember to have fun shooting. I set up fun targets like swinging balls, rolling disks, tin cans, 3d, frendily competition and other fun stuff I wanna hit with arrows. Having fun and hitting stuff goes hand in hand. If you're having fun you'll probably shoot better.

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
Shot better than I have ever shot yesterday. I shot 4 groups of 4 arrows at 40yds in a 4" circle. I have never done that before. Always been able to put 1 or 2 in and then a couple of flyers but never all 4 and never 4 times in a row. I have been working on my release. When I started shooting with the clicker I was really letting go of the string and my hand would fly away. I am now trying to have my release hand just slide down my face and go straight back. When I do that everything stays in line.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©