Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: 'Anchor' versus 'Reference'  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 'Anchor' versus 'Reference'
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 05:54:00 AM »
No,,,I think I'll stay with the word "anchour" to decribe my anchour point.

Words ain't that powerfull at all,their just an example of how some people are easily distracted by things that don't really matter.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 06:10:00 AM »
good stuff, rob - that's what it's all about, what 'it' all boils down to - the expanding reference point.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Zog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »
How true.  Words are so powerful because our words are our thoughts, and our thoughts are our very existence, when you really think about it  :confused:
Freedom is not constituted primarily of privileges, but of responsibilities

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
I am guessing there is something I should read because my anchor point is kind of the end of my shot.  I make sure I get that solid and focus on my target and I hit it much of the time.  I am self taught more or less (saw The Adventures of Robin Hood dozens of times as a child) and got "Hitting em like Howard Hill" a few years ago but other then that...
What should I read or see to improve and sharpen this blunt tool of mine?
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline Gene R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
I have had recently a very bad case of target panic. I would release the arrow prior to reaching anchor. I have had to work hard to correct this and am happy to say that I have made great improvement. What I have had to do though is come to a stop at my full anchor, and while in this position move the arrow through the spot and then pick the spot and pull through the release. I am afraid that if I now started to use reference point and not anchor I may fall back into target panic. I wonder for us who are newer to the sport and self taught, is it important to come to full anchor so we don't develope TP? This is a great post and just wondering what you all think? I use a 55lb bow and it seems to be really no problem to hold the few seconds needed to complete this process, I am hoping that as I become more consitent with reaching full anchor if I then may be more comfortable going to a reference point rather than anchor.

Offline Tom-Wisconsin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 01:33:00 AM »
This is just what I needed to hear. Thank you all. I can't wait to try this in the morning.
"A clean kill or no kill, Lord
Such is my heart's desire
Give me the skill to make it so
Or let me hold my fire"
Timothy D. Cook
40# Indian Archery Recurve 1965
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
This has been an interesting post for me, too.  I have fought the "shooting too quickly" syndrome for all the years (20 plus) I have been shooting a longbow.  For a long time it was target panic where I couldn't even get to full draw.  I finally got that under control enough that I can get to full draw, but I have to constantly work to hold long enough to have a solid anchor and be on target.  Sometimes I get in a rythmn of shooting quickly with the pull through to which Terry refers and I hit pretty well, but I always feel slightly out of control.  Then when I try to slow down my shot to be in control, I find myself collapsing at release and the timing and rythmn is off.  I've watched MMBB3 numerous times, watched videos of Rick Welches students, tried holding for 2, 3, 4 or 5 seconds, blank bale shooting, closing my eyes and holding at full draw, changing my focus to the point of the arrow as I draw (Viper's suggestion).  Finally, what recently seems to be the most effective is to come to my solid anchor and hold until the shot feels right to release.  Counting to a specific number doesn't work, because then I anticipate the release.  Mentally I have to just make up my mind I am going to pull to anchor and hold until I feel as if I am in control.  As I'm holding at full draw I focus on getting my shoulders lined up correctly, solid bow arm and pulling straight back with back tension. Actually this is easier to do with a heavier bow that forces me to engage the back muscles in order to hold it right.

I share the concern of those who mentioned needing to stop at full draw lest I begin rushing the shot again.  I understand the concept of "reference point rather than anchor", but for me I am going to have to work in to that idea after spending some time ingraining holding long enough to have control of the shot.  As Zetabow points out, it will be worth the effort to make the change eventually, but I believe I must take first steps first, so to speak.  Sorry for the long drawn out post, but for some of us who learned to shoot the incorrect way over a long period of time, it may not be as easy as it has been for those fortunate individuals who were able to develop good form from the beginning.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
Thank You and a big thumbs up ! I know it is only a word anchor/stop. In reference to my archery it is huge. Instead of using  anchor as a reference and then continuing my draw I stopped,whether it was a short draw or not. After reading your definition of anchor/reference I went out and tried the reference point and draw continuation. I found it helped greatly  and groups got tighter. I felt really good when I realized I was at 30 yards and not my normal 20 yards because the wind here blew my arrow bucket around. Thank You

Ken
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
I don't know.  The best shooters I have watched (i.e. Rick Welch and others) stop and lock in at anchor using back tension.  I know I shoot much better when I hold at anchor for 2 sec.  Good thoughts though. . .

For those fighting TP- that is a mental/brain issue- NOT a physical shooting issue.  You can not solve it by shooting different or practicing more- you need to learn how to THINK different.  I say it on all these posts- get J. Kidwell's book on sports psychology- it is the ONLY way to truly solve it.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Gene R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
Dan you are right, I believe it is a mental issue. I got the book by J Kidell several months ago and that is where I got the information on curing target panic that has helped me alot. I tried practice and more practice but like one person said earlier here, only perfect practice makes perfect. From the book I got the idea that at full draw and while achored, move the arrow through the spot, make a small figure eight if necessary. When you feel right,pick the spot and pull through the release. This idea has helped me mentally to slow down and get my composure and to feel in control of the shot. As for now I use it whenever I feel the need to rush a shot. The book by J Kidwell is really great.

Offline JamesD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
Rob,

Thanks for the tip.  I just started shooting instictively two months ago, and I have been working on this concept, but the way you stated it is really helped me to feel what I should, and is working great as my focal point during my form practice and blind bale shooting.  Thanks again for the great tip!

James
Regular PBS Member

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »
Good stuff, Rob. Been spending alot of time in front of the bale lately. I had settled back into this, then saw your post which is a nice validation.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Online Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
Thanks Rob good to know.

Offline miklvines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
good stuff

Offline bowbenderman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
I agree with Rob, I used to hunt an anchor, but now I just keep drawing, made my release, much ,much better.

Offline tkytrac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
So that's why I always shoot better when I don't stop my anchor at the corner of my mouth. Great post.  Thanks.
Charter Member of Compton Traditonal Bowhunters
Recording Secretary for Michigan Longbow Association
Associate Editor of MLA's STICKTALK Magazine

Offline 71flh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 12:28:00 AM »
Byron said the same 2 weeks ago at his school, it works.

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
I need to find a new second reference point.  My second reference point is my thumb knuckle on the corner of my jaw bone.  I've noticed that I have to draw past my jaw bone then come forward so that my thumb knuckle can then settle in.  I'm losing my backwards "momentum" this way.  It just doesn't feel right to draw back, settle forward, then expand back again.
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
I had that issue for a while, try dragging your thumb across for face as you draw that way when you reach second anchor it just drops in and waits for you to start expanding.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline Gregg S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2010, 01:37:00 AM »
Yikes!! I can't believe that a simple statement can make such a difference! I shot Sawmill Trad. shoot today and shot O.K. When I got home I read through this thread and although it was midnight I decided to try what was discussed. The idea that your anchor point is not the end of the shot but actually the beginning jsut completely changed my shooting. I often struggle to hold at anchor because the sight picture looks right and my brain wants me to just let go. With this thought in mind I was easily able to hit my anchor,steady my aim and then continue the pull ( actually expand) through the shot. My draw hand usually goes up, out, or nowhere. Thinking this way, I look like I'm shooting a Form Master. My hand comes straight back and my finger tips touch the top of my shoulder. My accuracy was consistent over a dozen shots. No creep, no pluck and no flinging my bow hand or string hand. I've always heard that you should pull through the shot, but, when I try to STOP at anchor and then pull through I pluck the string or move the bow hand. With this thought in mind I can pause at anchor because I'm thinking this is the start of the the shot rather then the end. It is very easy for me to get on target because it's the first thing that I'm doing before pulling through (expanding through) the shot. This is not the greatest explanation but thanks for the tip. I think that, for me , this will really let me get controll of the shot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©