Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: ancher point  (Read 779 times)

Offline cwbyengraver

• Trad Bowhunter
ancher point
« on: February 25, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
I have always shot a compound tomorrow I will be shooting a recurve I just got in the mail my question is where is a good place to anchor with the compound you just look through the peep sight it really wasn't that important where you anchor any suggestion's would be great thanks

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ancher point
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
cwb,
Your draw length will be much shorter with a recurve than with a compound, especialy if you shot with a mechanical release with the compound.
I would guess that "most" traditional shooters anchor somewhere near the corner of the mouth.
Do a search for shooters videos and you can see how and where alot of shooters anchor.
Find what is comfortable for you and make it repeatable!
Hope this helps a little,
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline cwbyengraver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
Thanks

Offline Junction hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
Look on this forum for double anchor point. This should help.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
I agree with the above but would add:  first check out "terry's form clock", get into that alignment then and only then see where your hand ends up anchoring on your face.  Easier to make new habits than to break old ones!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Mooseandbuck44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
I'm also new to trad, and am a little confused about draw length being shorter when switching from a compound, especially when you used a release.  With a release, only my index finger was near the maximum of the string (actually behind the string on a trigger), but with a recurve, I have 3 fingers and am pulling from bent fingers.  So shouldn't your draw length be a little longer?  I mean with the same form, aren't you pulling the string a little further back with fingers versus a release?

Thanks.

Offline tradhunter1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
When I switched 8 years ago I tried to draw back to where my anchor point was for the compound.
NOT A GOOD IDEA!!! By the time my mustach grew back in I was anchoring with my ring finger in the corner of my mouth and my draw length had changed from 28" to 26" and my form was different such as stance kant of the bow lean of the head and so on. As you find your anchor point and get your form down you will begin to understand what we mean with shorter draw lengthand slightly different form. Remember you have to find what works and is comfortable for you not for some one else.
 good luck

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
It is all dependent on form.  See the form clock and do everything possible to get your form right from the start.  Determine what anchor works best when you are in proper alignment.  Everyone is uniquely made so what works for one person doesn't work for everyone.  Do some reading in this area of the forum.  There are many options.  Corner of the mouth should be on a tooth or hard anchor point not just in your lip.  

It is impossible to say your draw length with curve would be less, the same or more than with a compound unless someone knows what your form is with the compound and what you have for a release length and possibly loop length.   So don't worry about what it should be and just get your form alignment right.  Worry about what it is after it is set by form.

I used to shoot corner of the mouth and it caused too short of a draw.  I used to draw 28" with my old curves.  My compound draw was 28 1/2" using a release off the string.  I had proper compound form or at least what worked very well for me and with alignment like the form clock.  I could never get rid of the hand flying away from the face and not back along the face to the shoulder with the 28" draw on a trad bow using the corner of my mouth.  I now shot with proper form with the trad bow and have a 29 1/4 - 29 1/2" draw length.  I had to change my anchor.  I now use thumb knuckle in the back of the jaw and cheek bone resting on the index finger.  This is very close to my compound anchor, but a much harder anchor contact and different hand rotation.

I personally think if you have proper form it doesn't matter what kind of bow you shoot to some extent.  My draw length with trad bow is the same as a compound factoring in the length of the release.  There is some compression with heavier bows, but if you are not over bowed and get good chest extension with good back tension is will be minimal.   At least it is form me at middle of the road bow weights.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Mooseandbuck44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
Thanks much for the advice and explanations!  Those answers definitely helped me out.

I love this site and how much information is available and especially the great people that are so willing to help out us newbies!  Thanks again.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 06:16:00 AM »
xtrema312,

I would like to do what you did with lengthening your draw length but when I try it I get a bloody nose from my string nock hitting it. Yes, I also tried a tied in serving nock with the same results. I shoot 3 under and I anchor at the corner of my mouth with my middle finger and get good groups but I'm "handicapped" with a draw length of around 26.5"-26.75". I shoot split-vision gap style.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
ishoot4thrills,

If you turn your head more toward the target the bloody nose will go away. I use to anchor in the corner of my mouth but now I anchor with my thumb on the jawbone "per Terry's instruction" plus touch the corner, "not deep but touch" with no nose wack'n. I shoot now better than I ever have. Thank Terry because his form clock work's!! Jason

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
You have to face the target.  Also you have to find the anchor that works for your build.  I really didn't lengthen my draw as much as find the correct one. I found the correct length to get my arm in line with the arrow, and then I found an anchor that works.  For me to anchor in the corner of my mouth with the correct draw length makes me hit my nose.  I have to anchor thumb knuckle in the back of the jaw and then I set my cheek bone down on my index finger.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
Use the serch feature for the word double

You will find lots of info....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Covey:
ishoot4thrills,

If you turn your head more toward the target the bloody nose will go away. I use to anchor in the corner of my mouth but now I anchor with my thumb on the jawbone "per Terry's instruction" plus touch the corner, "not deep but touch" with no nose wack'n. I shoot now better than I ever have. Thank Terry because his form clock work's!! Jason
I was trying that last week and I ended up spraying arrows all over the place and was still whacking my nose. It's just now healed up. I can't seem to get my right eye directly over the arrow when I turn my head more toward the target. I am getting my elbow more to the rear and I'm getting a cleaner release than I used to, where my release hand goes more rearward than out to the side. I'm very pleased with my groups and point of impact as it is now. I just wish I had about another inch of draw and my elbow was a tad back farther.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
Keep playing with it, but don't force a draw length that is longer than good form allows.  That little bit of extra draw will not be worth hurting yourself or making more bad form issues.  At one time I went too far with the draw and was getting much the same result as too short a draw with hand fly out.  I was probably drawings with my arm or shoulder and not my back.  My accuracy went away.

Try some other anchors.  Maybe feather on the nose.  That could work well for you.  It will keep your nose off to the side of the arrow and string.  You may not get your eye over the arrow, but I am not all that sure it makes that much difference.  I shoot split vision without a know gap and I am not sure I am over the arrow, but it is not a problem.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by Covey:
ishoot4thrills,

Hey....I missed this earlier!!!  That's great...I love to hear guys improving!!!!  Stay after it!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
there are a few currentthread that r relevent to your ? good luck and have fun welcome to the light. no training wheels is the only way to fly.
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline kmunch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
I like double anchor

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©