Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Trad 3D shoot  (Read 688 times)

Offline nomad to hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
Trad 3D shoot
« on: March 03, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
I shot my first 3D Trad this weekend and posted a 174 for 25 targets. Is that a decent score?

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad 3D shoot
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
Do you feel like you shot well????
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
3Ds are a hoot...
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline nomad to hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
yea i do. I didn't miss but 2 targets. To be honest I really don't care I had a ball just going out with the guys.

Offline La. bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
When I shoot 3D as long as I make good clean killing shots I am happy sometimes my score is good sometimes not so good but score means little to me. Just go and have fun and dont worry about score.
La. Bowhunter trad archery addict

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
If you had fun, the score doesn't matter.  I figure I had a good day at a 3D if I put kill shots on everything 20 yards or less (my personal limit when hunting) and come home with all my arrows.

The whole reason why I got into traditional archery was because I got to a point that if I wasn't placing when using my compound I was getting ticked off.  I then saw a couple guys at a 3D arround 1992 or so using recurves and longbows and they just looked like they were having much more fun than me.  That got me interested.....
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
Every course is so different you cannot compare your score to those on other courses.  I like to track my scores on the same course all summer to see if I improve.  The only problem is our local course changes every month.

I would complain to the man in charge, but it I am that man!  

Enjoy and use it for practice.  The real test is against fur, not foam.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline Taiga Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
Like the others have said, shoot 3D's to have fun. On another note, if you are a hunter you should strive to improve and 3D's are a very good way to do this.
Not every 3D shoot I go to has realistic yardages that I would shoot from, nor is the vital rings in the correct spot for the angle of the shot you are taking.
As far as a "good" score, your total score should average a vital hit. Example, if they score the 3D's 10 (larger center ring of vital) 8 (Lung area) and a 5 for a body shot and the course has 30 targets a good score would be 240 or better. That would give you an 8 (lung area) for your average score per target.
"Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye.
Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark!"

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
As a general rule, if you can shoot 80% of possible score, you are better than average.
John

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
You shot better than me and I have been shooting for 5 years!!
   :banghead:

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
If you had fun shooting that means more than the score.

The group of Trad guys that I shoot with throw the score cards in the trash before going on the course.

We are there to have fun and mess with each other. A lot of the times we don't shoot from the blocks we challange each other to different off hand shots.
PBS  Member

Offline Notags

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
If you had fun, then a 174 is a good score. If you shoot at the targets like you would at real game instead of where the 10 ring is, it is great practice. The 10 ring is not always located where a "kill" shot is on a animal. Especially on a quarting shot.

enjoy yourself.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »
If you are going simply by score, if the targets had 12 rings, that would make the possible score 300 - If you shot all 8's (vitals) that would be 200, so you were close to shooting all vitals.  

If the targets just had 10 rings for a possible score of 250, (which is all I really count anyway, cause 12's are meaningless) you still didn't shoot all vitals, but "score wise" you would have done better.

All in all it sounds like you had fun, and that is like said above all that counts.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by nomad to hunt:
yea i do. I didn't miss but 2 targets. To be honest I really don't care I had a ball just going out with the guys.
Then I think you answered your own question. If you felt good about your shooting and confident then you are doing well.

Matty buddy dont be so hard on yourself. You will be back in the game in no time.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 12:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by nomad to hunt:
Keep score? Why? Potential buzz kill if you score badly. Just have fun!
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©