Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Clicker setup tutorial (updated)  (Read 539 times)

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
Clicker setup tutorial (updated)
« on: March 05, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
I've been struggling with target panic for a few months now.  I can get over it for awhile, but it creeps back in.  I finally broke down and ordered a clicker in hopes that it will help with the short draw, snap shooting that has risen seemingly overnight.  Anyway, I'm wondering if someone could do a complete tutorial (hopefully with pictures    :pray:   ) on the setup of a clicker.  Thank you in advance...Mike

ps...any and all tips are appreciated!

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Clicker setup tutorial (updated)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
I learned volumes about clickers here by doing a search and soaking it all in. Can't help with pics, but there are many here who hopfully will.

I would suggest that you get some of the cord used to tie release loops on wheelie bows and replace the chain. Put it through the hole and melt it and then smash it flat to hold....pics would be better....I do like to mount mine as close to the tip of my long bows as possible, around 5-6 inches from the string groove, that way I don't have more than 6" or so of cord hanging for a 29" draw. I also wrap the clicker part with black tape to make it almost silent....BEST advice I can give, PM either Rod Jenkins or Alan Schafer...they both have given me great advice on how to use a clicker and know what they are talking about.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
Here you go. Brian has it right on....use release loop cord and throw away the chain for starters. I melt a mushroom on the end of the cord that goes through the clicker, add a bit of glue and pull it flush to dry (I've never had one come loose). The other end of the cord gets cut to length, melt a mushroom on the end, then just pull it up tight to the bowstring. I just tie it in with some dental floss as you can see from the pic. You can now make small changes to your draw length by adjusting the cord up/down the bowstring. You will have to re-adjust how it enters the bowstring to keep the cord from twisting around on the bowstring.

I use moleskin to quieten the clicker (I put it on both sides of the spring steel part. I also cut the base of mine down so it's the same size as the spring steel part.

Let me know if you have any more questions..

Allen

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »
Thanks for the help guys.  The adjustment part is priceless to me.  I kept wondering how I got it right when using the cord instead of the chain that is supplied.  I thought I'd have to keep cutting lengths of cord till I got it.  How much adjustment do you think you get by moving the cord up and down?  Thanks again, any other advice is welcome, I have all intentions of kicking this evil TP in the butt...Mike

Offline Cecil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
I put mine on with velcro, I run it through the string a couple times leave some extra for adjustments after you get it set then trim , fix the other end as mentioned.the reason I use velcro is if you need to twist your string just pull it loose and then stick it back. give it awhile when you start stik with it. I tryed one off and on but been shooting it for about 4 months and I dont beleive I have ever shot any better. the confidence is comming back. hope this helps.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
Mike, you can adjust quite a bit by sliding the cord up/down. Just be sure not to go too high as the cord will bind up on the outside edge of the clicker at full draw, making it harder to pull through the clicker.

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
Thanks Alan for the pic and expert advice. I do my cord a little different...I just leave about an inch sticking out for adjustment. Rod Jenkins posted once about setting the draw length to where you come into perfect alignment, it will save a lot of time and don't be tempted to set it at a predetermined DL.  

Cecil, I like the velcro idea.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
Funny thing about your input there bshunter.  For years I shot at a 29" draw length and never had problems.  I then read into things way too much and convinced myself I wasn't drawing into alignment.  I tried all sorts of anchors to get my alignment in check.  My shooting went to crap and that was the start of all my TP issues.  Eventually this lead to the short drawing and stuff.  I got my clicker setup last night and got it set to where my elbow is in perfect alignment with the arrow (as witnessed by an "assistant"), lo and behold my draw length is almost 29" on the nose.  I hope that this tool gets me back to where I was before and allows me to continue improving.  I set my clicker at 29 1/8" so I can hit anchor and pull through the shot.  Thanks for all the help fellas!

Mike

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
Good deal Mike. I have fallen into the problem of getting out of alignment in the past. Once you get that clicker length set correctly, it works OH so good!!

Offline Pepper's Fool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
I've suffered from the dreaded TP for decades.  Tried everything, read too much about it, saw too many DVDs on it.  I finally got a clicker and the issue has been resolved. I now focus on back muscles as a secondary anchor, which has helped enormously.  Shooting is fun again.  Also, the set-up mentioned above about getting rid of the chain is sound wisdom.  I wish you well in your struggle, Mike, I know how hard it can be.
"Add lightness and simplify."

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
I have also done some clicker work this winter, using it as a draw check, i.e. setting it to click or tell me when I'm at anchor and then trying to take "control" of my shot by aiming and continueing to pull...sometimes I just get to anchor and hold it for 5 sec or click/relax/click/relax...it helps me when I start concentrating too much on the click and not the other aspects of the shot.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
Well a little update for all those who helped out or have been following along.  I feel 100% more confident in my shooting since installing the clicker.  I've only been blank bale shooting at about 5 yards, but I haven't felt this good about shooting in a year or so.  Everything feels so natural again.  Thanks to all who helped along the way.  I'm gonna continue on the blank bale for another week or two and see how I progress on some actual target shooting.

One question.  I am getting a small creak/click just before the clicker goes off.  Any clue as to what that may be and how to stop it?  Thanks again...Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©